Orlando screeners miss loaded gun

Old Sep 28, 12, 9:44 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 821
Orlando screeners miss loaded gun

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/o...Jmsu2voSdzBQqN

They must have been too busy eyeing passengers' iPads.
saulblum is offline  
Old Sep 28, 12, 9:49 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 8,034
But when she landed at Newark Airport at 10:24, she immediately told a Port Authority police officer.
Stupid X 2.
InkUnderNails is offline  
Old Sep 28, 12, 10:55 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 616
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails View Post
Stupid X 2.
Why would someone turn themselves in for this? It does make the TSA look incredibly bad though. It's similar to the people who notify the crew that there a box cutter was left on board by maintenance and get their flight severely delayed.

It makes you wonder how many guns get through by people who don't turn themselves in.
spd476 is offline  
Old Sep 28, 12, 1:08 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ATL Lost Luggage
Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Posts: 6,649
Originally Posted by spd476 View Post
Why would someone turn themselves in for this?
It ended well for her:
But when she landed at Newark Airport at 10:24, she immediately told a Port Authority police officer.

“She was visibly upset. She said she had a license to carry it and just forgot it,” Della Fave said. “The [Port Authority] officer took possession of the handgun and made it safe.”

The officer contacted the Essex County prosecutor, who declined to prosecute the woman because she self-reported the incident.
RatherBeOnATrain is offline  
Old Sep 28, 12, 1:15 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ATL Lost Luggage
Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Posts: 6,649
Bad week for TSA at Orlando (ORD)

Originally Posted by saulblum View Post
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/o...Jmsu2voSdzBQqN

They must have been too busy eyeing passengers' iPads.


From the article:
The TSA had no explanation last night about how the weapon was missed during screening.

“TSA is aware of this situation and is reviewing the circumstances,” said Lisa Farbstein, a spokeswoman for the agency.
Duh! It happened because Andy Ramirez's coworkers are on the lookout for ABCNEWS, not weapons.
RatherBeOnATrain is offline  
Old Sep 28, 12, 1:17 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 8,034
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain View Post


From the article:
The TSA had no explanation last night about how the weapon was missed during screening.

“TSA is aware of this situation and is reviewing the circumstances,” said Lisa Farbstein, a spokeswoman for the agency.
Duh! It happened because Andy Ramirez's coworkers are on the lookout for ABCNEWS, not weapons.
But, they can find jars of peanut butter every time.

Sheesh. (That one still frosts me.)
InkUnderNails is offline  
Old Sep 28, 12, 1:43 pm
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Posts: 44,672
Originally Posted by spd476 View Post
Why would someone turn themselves in for this? It does make the TSA look incredibly bad though. It's similar to the people who notify the crew that there a box cutter was left on board by maintenance and get their flight severely delayed.

It makes you wonder how many guns get through by people who don't turn themselves in.
If she didn't turn herself in and was caught in NJ with it, she'd have been in a lot of trouble, especially if she was carrying it concealed.
kipper is offline  
Old Sep 28, 12, 1:48 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: where the chile is hot
Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Posts: 32,726
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails View Post
But, they can find jars of peanut butter every time.

Sheesh. (That one still frosts me.)
(bolding mine)

Careful, Ink. You know what happens to people who try to take too much frost-ing through the checkpoint.....almost as deadly as peanut butter.
chollie is offline  
Old Sep 28, 12, 2:51 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: TX
Programs: WN A List Preferred and CP, AA, IHG Spire, Hertz #1 Gold 5*, Hilton Diamond, Enterprise Platinum
Posts: 1,263
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain View Post
“The [Port Authority] officer took possession of the handgun and made it safe.”
obviously not a Philadelphia LEO.
doctall41 is offline  
Old Sep 28, 12, 4:58 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 8,034
Originally Posted by chollie View Post
(bolding mine)

Careful, Ink. You know what happens to people who try to take too much frost-ing through the checkpoint.....almost as deadly as peanut butter.
[groan.....]
InkUnderNails is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: