Wiki Posts
Search

Mugged by TSA in San Juan PR

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2012, 7:36 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by tkey75
How can PR selectively apply it or use alternate interpretations as they see fit?
The honest answer? Our government (which is ironically a pro-US/pro-Statehood one at the moment) really just doesn't care.

They're more interested in pandering to a scared population willing to give away its rights, and the most pragmatic approach appears to be to limit rights. The difference between PR and the US post September 11, is that we aren't scared of terrorists; we're scare of being shot in the head by some thug.

I'm certain that very little of what they've done would survive a constitutional challenge in federal court, but no one's done it yet. And the second they do, the Puerto Rican political machine (believe me when I say that Chicago is squeaky clean in comparison) will marginalize the person to such an extent that they will either have to leave the island and restart their life elsewhere, or the PR Justice Department will find someone in their background to pounce on and file charges.

The will is there, but the fear here is real. I'm pretty open about my criticisms of the local government, and it has hurt me financially. I don't even bother bidding for local government contracts, since I will not be considered
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by mkt
I'm not arguing with you, but since we're not a US state (and I pray we never become one), remember that the US constitution does not apply in its entirety. What the judge will weigh is which matters more: free speech, which are guaranteed by the US an PR constitution, vs right to privacy, which is guaranteed by the PR constitution.

Given our culture and history (yes culture, not "culture"), a local judge would likely side to the right to privacy, especially when the OP was asked to stop. But a federal judge in Boston will likely say the free speech. That's pretty common here- if you want US justice, you go to federal court; if you want PR justice, you go to local court.

In PR, our current penal code actually restricts free speech (you may not offend a politician in session or at a public event - I'm not kidding). The first arrests were handed down to activists from an opposition political party. I want this to go to federal court. I really do want my island .....slapped by a federal judge and told "YES, THE FIRST AMENDMENT APPLIES."
What about the OP's right to privacy too? And the fact that if they went thru his SD card and erased files. They took it from him. That's a search and siezure. They had to see what other things were on there too, potentially violating his privacy as well.

I can't imagine the PR constitution or laws don't recognize that, and it's certainly a 4th amendment issue to the US constitution.

I'd also think that destroying evidence of something of a legal nature also wouldn't fly in PR either. I could be wrong though.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, I agree, what about my right to privacy. I had some personal
stuff on that memory card and I shudder to think the cretins
went through all 200 photos and videos, or what sort of creepy
database my photos would have been put into if I had not
demanded the memory card back. For what, using my camera???
I suppose they don't have a Fourth Amendment or a Fifth Amendment in
Puerto Rico either...fer cryin out loud...

Last edited by yandosan; Sep 27, 2012 at 3:21 pm
Old Sep 27, 2012, 3:19 pm

I won't say you were asking for it, but were you really surprised at their reaction? TSA really doesn't like photography of any kind.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 9:51 pm
mkt

Interesting reading materials.

http://www.justice.gov/crt/about/spl..._exec_summ.pdf

http://www.aclu.org/police-brutality...ts-puerto-rico

The US flag may fly in Puerto Rico, but this is not the US you know and love: this is the third world in regards to crime and justice.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by zitsky
I won't say you were asking for it, but were you really surprised at their reaction? TSA really doesn't like photography of any kind.
I did not know that. Maybe that is why BDO (psychic reader) Paul Rose at Colorado Springs (COS) and I spent an hour together after I took this photo of him & Kathy Larson.

When passing thru Colorado Springs (COS) be sure and ask BDO Paul Rose why he feels people cannot take photos of him in a public area. I would suggest doing so while recording.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by knotyeagle
I did not know that. Maybe that is why BDO (psychic reader) Paul Rose at Colorado Springs (COS) and I spent an hour together after I took this photo of him & Kathy Larson.

When passing thru Colorado Springs (COS) be sure and ask BDO Paul Rose why he feels people cannot take photos of him in a public area. I would suggest doing so while recording.
Hi Paul and Kathy!
Old Sep 29, 2012, 2:46 pm
Suspended

That may be what usually happens in practice, but it is not the law. The PR constitution is subserviant to the US constitution, just as the constitution of any US state is. Any decision to the contrary can be appealed to the US Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, and then to the US Supreme Court, both of which, I assure you, will not give deference to the PR constitution when it comes to enforcing first amendment rights.

Originally Posted by mkt
I'm not arguing with you, but since we're not a US state (and I pray we never become one), remember that the US constitution does not apply in its entirety. What the judge will weigh is which matters more: free speech, which are guaranteed by the US an PR constitution, vs right to privacy, which is guaranteed by the PR constitution.
--Jon
Old Sep 29, 2012, 3:29 pm
mkt

Originally Posted by Affection
That may be what usually happens in practice, but it is not the law. The PR constitution is subserviant to the US constitution, just as the constitution of any US state is. Any decision to the contrary can be appealed to the US Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, and then to the US Supreme Court, both of which, I assure you, will not give deference to the PR constitution when it comes to enforcing first amendment rights.

--Jon
Did you read my previous posts? I stated that in a federal court, first amendment would win. But in a local court, they wouldn't even take it into consideration.

And I even consulted separately with 3 different attorneys who are presently licensed to practice in Puerto Rico and federally, all who agree with what I posted.

As far as the popular view here, the US constitution is overwhelmingly viewed as a joke. How can a country that professes freedom, keep us colonised with no real option for self determination (congress decides - not us)?

Last edited by mkt; Sep 29, 2012 at 3:34 pm
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
While some residents of Puerto Rico might view the Constitution as a joke, it is in fact the law of the island. Feel free to take the Nationalist Party bleatings elsewhere, since this forum is to discuss travel issues. And those issues are clear cut. You seem to state that the OP would be in trouble with the "local" courts. Well, who really cares, since it's a Constitutional issue, and as another poster has already stated, Federal law trumps any state or territory law. Puerto Rico is no more able to nullify Federal law or anyone's Constitutional rights than any of the 50 states and DC are. And, no local law regarding privacy rights trumps a basic freedom outlined in the Constitution and backed by the federal courts.

The OPs rights were violated as much in San Juan as they would have been in Omaha or Kansas City. Further, as TSA is a federal agency, they are not run by the local government or airport authority.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the discourse. I am the OP and learning a lot about the
law here. Carlos Miller kindly posted my (recovered) video here:
http://www.pixiq.com/article/tsa-con...ing-checkpoint since people were asking to see it.

BTW I don't know if the ladies were actually TSA. Maybe DHS or something.
Definitely some sort of higher-ups contacted by the TSA staff.

Last edited by yandosan; Sep 30, 2012 at 11:03 am
Old Sep 30, 2012, 8:23 pm
Suspended

Let me be more clear: no matter what a local court thinks, a federal court can overturn them. So, if the OP is convicted of a crime in local court by a judge who ignores OUR constitution, after (or perhaps even before) he exhausts his appeals to the highest court in PR, he can ask the federal court for a writ of habeus corpus requiring whomever is holding him to release him. The same effect can be had in a civil court with a writ of mamandus.

No court in the United States, including its territories, may ignore the constitution with impunity. Except the US Supreme Court, of course.

Originally Posted by mkt
Did you read my previous posts? I stated that in a federal court, first amendment would win. But in a local court, they wouldn't even take it into consideration.
--Jon
Old Oct 1, 2012, 9:00 am
mkt

Obviously I've been playing devil's advocate here.... I live here, I know our culture, I know our police, and I have way too many attorney contacts that I had to raise the question with them. I posted their replies So my apologies to those that were offended at the thought process in this little rebel island.

For the record, I've been regularly hassled, and one time even detained and handcuffed for photographing on the Tren Urbano (San Juan's Metro).

Maybe the TSO's also misunderstood this? (link en Español) - http://www.fotografia101.com/prohibi...s-en-san-juan/
Old Oct 1, 2012, 9:18 am
mkt

I finally watched the video, via the Pixiq link, and if the woman in question is an LEO, I believe she is PRPD because:

1. Terrible English (IME, most PRPD officers don't speak English)
2. Lack of visible ID/badge (Quite a common occurrence with PRPD when being recorded)
3. The PRPD logo on the golf cart

Either way, I've contacted PRPA, in hopes of a definitive answer as to whether or not there is a local rule at SJU prohibiting photography at the airport.

Last edited by mkt; Oct 1, 2012 at 10:35 am
Old Oct 1, 2012, 11:51 am
mkt

And I just got my answer from the very friendly and polite PRPA press representative.

Photography and videography at PRPA airports for non-commercial purposes are allowed in public areas, except at security checkpoints.

Permits are required for commercial purposes, no exceptions as far as security checkpoints.

Feel free to call and verify: +1 787-729-8715

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.