Old Aug 27, 2012, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

TSA forms passenger advocacy group...

This should be interesting!

http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/...,2513405.story
Old Aug 27, 2012, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From the article:

Of the TSA, Douglas Kidd, executive director of the National Assn. of Airline Passengers and a member of the subcommittee, said, “I look at these guys, and if there’s a bad way to do things, these guys have found it.”
Old Aug 27, 2012, 3:07 pm
Suspended

The TSA forming a passenger advocacy group is rather like NAMBLA sponsoring a Boy Scout camp.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Caradoc
The TSA forming a passenger advocacy group is rather like NAMBLA sponsoring a Boy Scout camp.
Perhaps. On the other hand, TSA seems to have appointed honest-to-goodness critics of TSA to this panel --- critics who, if the quotes in the article are to be believed, aren't interested in simply whitewashing TSA's current policies.

Now, having critics on your panel and then actually listening to those critics are, of course, two different activities entirely. The effectiveness of this panel will be determined at the end of its work, not the beginning.

But, on the whole, it seems like a good start.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 3:54 pm

I found notes from the meeting interesting

http://right2fly.net/Default.aspx?pageId=1385819
Old Aug 27, 2012, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by MrMan

Sounded good till I got to this part (bolding mine):

"Mr. Freeman then asked for suggestions as to how the checkpoint process might be improved. The representative from “Victims of PanAm Flight 103” indicated that he was in favor of any and all additional security measures TSA wanted to deploy, but he felt some explanation to passengers was appropriate when changes were made. We seconded this recommendation, stating our position that all screening should be Reasonable, Consistent, and Uniform."

Also, I note that the website banner states "Protecting you right to fly", not "your". In my mind, they lose some credibility if they can't even proofread their own website properly.

Still, the website has all the right words about how bad TSA is, so it leaves me with a little hope.

Last edited by Maxwell Smart; Aug 27, 2012 at 4:18 pm Reason: misinterpreted some of what I read, so I changed my comments
Old Aug 27, 2012, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by MrMan

The notes are one person's view, and based on the notes themselves they do not represent the view of the TSA. Indeed, given that the weighty issues of the first meeting seem to have been blown off by the TSA, I don't expect the meeting to result in anything of substance.

A few bullet points from the writer's impressions of the TSA staff sum it up nicely:
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

Those impressions were formed even after the Chairman, Geoff Freeman, "spoke briefly on the factors keeping people from traveling more. These were:
  • The high cost of airfare. (71%)
  • Fear of harassment by TSA employees (45%)
  • The threat of terrorism. (13%)"
Old Aug 27, 2012, 6:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by OldGoat
The notes are one person's view, and based on the notes themselves they do not represent the view of the TSA. Indeed, given that the weighty issues of the first meeting seem to have been blown off by the TSA, I don't expect the meeting to result in anything of substance.

A few bullet points from the writer's impressions of the TSA staff sum it up nicely:
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

Those impressions were formed even after the Chairman, Geoff Freeman, "spoke briefly on the factors keeping people from traveling more. These were:
This reminds me of the (alleged) efforts of TSA to reach out to organizations representing disabled and handicapped pax for information on how to improve the screening process.

We've seen how well that worked out.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:31 am

Programs: DL DM and charter KM
Could not have said it any better!
Old Aug 28, 2012, 8:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Now, having critics on your panel and then actually listening to those critics are, of course, two different activities entirely. The effectiveness of this panel will be determined at the end of its work, not the beginning.
The TSA has repeatedly shown that they have no interest in addressing the critiques, but continue to attempt misdirection on the issues.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 8:12 am

The TSA has repeatedly shown that they have no interest in addressing the critiques, but continue to attempt misdirection on the issues.
Which is why I said this is a good beginning, not a good ending. If/when TSA decides to start addressing its many critics seriously, it will start with something like this. But I will reserve final judgment until we see what happens at the end of the process.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 8:57 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
If/when TSA decides to start addressing its many critics seriously, it will start with something like this.
No, it started with the TSA blog. This will suffer the same umm... evolution .

Lip service.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 9:16 am
Suspended

If/when TSA decides to start addressing its many critics seriously, it will start with something like this. But I will reserve final judgment until we see what happens at the end of the process.
My bet is that not one positive change will come out of anything the TSA does, based on their ten-year-plus track record of invariably finding the least effective way to do anything.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:13 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by OldGoat
So I'm reading that as saying people are more afraid of the TSA then of terrorism.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by sbagdon
So I'm reading that as saying people are more afraid of the TSA then of terrorism.
Yep. Because they KNOW the TSA gauntlet is omnipresent. Terrorists, not so much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.