Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

DL passenger denied boarding due to t-shirt design

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL passenger denied boarding due to t-shirt design

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2012, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
The seating is so cramped that once he is seated no one will be able to see the shirt.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 8:27 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cordelli
Imagine that, somebody shows up wearing a shirt with a picture of a bomb and the words Gonna Kill Us All to board an airplane and people get nervous.

Funny how that works.

He's probably been trying for so long and nobody paid any attention to him, having the blog post written just waiting for a few details.

He wanted a confrontation, he got one.
No, he just didn't understand that there would be people to ignorant to understand what that shirt means. Look at it:

BOMBSZOMGZOMGTERRISTSGONNAKILLUSALLZOMGZOMGALERTLE VEL
BLOODREDTAKEOFFYOURSHOESMOISTURE

It's a stream of consciousness of a cowardly mind, that sees threats everywhere. He didn't understand that the plane was as full of cowards as it was, and he inadvertently got people to demonstrate the mentality mocked by the shirt. I mean you had passengers on the plane so cowardly they felt threatened by words on a shirt. The man had no weapons, had no means to harm anyone. But people so cowardly that the thoughts actually running through their heads were in fact BOMBSZOMGZOMGTERRISTSGONNAKILLUSALL ZOMGZOMGALERTLEVEL BLOODREDTAKEOFFYOURSHOESMOISTURE

were so threatened by words on a shirt that they couldn't fly with him without wetting their pants.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 8:27 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by northwest_buckeye
I didn't say it to a Delta employee at an airport while pleading my case... Huge difference.
The huge difference is you said the angry vulgarities/expletives before being involuntarily denied boarding. He said the vulgar word after being involuntarily denied boarding.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 8:29 pm

It just seems patently obvious that he wore the shirt to get attention...
No it doesn't.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli
Imagine that, somebody shows up wearing a shirt with a picture of a bomb and the words Gonna Kill Us All to board an airplane and people get nervous.

Funny how that works.

He's probably been trying for so long and nobody paid any attention to him, having the blog post written just waiting for a few details.

He wanted a confrontation, he got one.
I'm not really understanding what harm people believed the picture and words were going to cause, and how they were going to cause it. Can you enlighten me?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 8:36 pm

Programs: Delta FO, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Gold, Nat'l Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The huge difference is you said the angry vulgarities/expletives before being involuntarily denied boarding. He said the vulgar word after being involuntarily denied boarding.
No, I didn't. Are you drunk? I said "common f**king sense" on an internet message board. That is a huge difference.

And Carl Johnson, I guess everyone who disagrees with you is a coward for not seeing how cool and ironic this shirt is. Cool beans, man. Can we go smoke some Parliament's in the back parking lot after school and talk more about how the mainstream is full of cowards and posers?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 8:40 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Again, please point to either statute or court decision that addresses a "right" to fly.

Edwards v. People of State of California, 314 US (1941)
A citizen's right to interstate travel has long been recognized as a fundamental right, grounded upon the Privileges and Immunities Clause of Article IV, Section 2, of the United States Constitution.

Kent v. Dulles 357 US (1958)
The right to travel is a part of the 'liberty' of which the citizen cannot be deprived without the due process of law under the Fifth Amendment.

Aphtheker v. Sec. Of State 378 US (1964)
Freedom of travel is a constitutional liberty closely related to the rights of free speech and association The constitutional right to travel has been firmly established and repeatedly recognized. Freedom to travel throughout the United States has long been recognized as a basic right under the constitution.

US v. Guest 383 US (1966)
The constitutional right to travel from one State to another, and necessarily use the highways or other instruments of interstate commerce in doing so, occupies a position fundamental to the concept of our Federal Union. It is a right that has been firmly established and repeatedly recognized. Freedom to travel throughout
the United States has long been recognized as a basic right under the Constitution.

Shapiro v. Thompson 394 US (1969)
This Court long ago recognized that the nature of our Federal Union and our constitutional concepts of personal liberty unite to require that all citizens be free to travel throughout the length and breadth of our land uninhibited by statutes, rules or regulations which unreasonably burden or retrict this movement. It is a right broadly assertable against private interference as well as governmental action. It is a virtually unconditional personal right, guaranteed by the Constitution to us all.

Griffin v. Breckenridge 403 US (1971)
Our cases have firmly established that the right of interstate travel is
constitutionally protected, does not necessarily rest on the Fourteenth
Amendment, and is assertable against private as well as governmental
interference.

Dunn v. Blumstein 405 US (1972)
Freedom to travel throughout the United States has long been recognized as a basic right under the Constitution. (Affirming Guest, above)

US v. Davis 482 F.2D (1973)
It is firmly established that freedom to travel at home and abroad without unreasonable governmental restriction is a fundamental constitutional right of every citizen.

Memorial Hospital v. Maricopa County 415 US (1974)
The right of interstate travel has repeatedly been recognized as a basic
constitutional freedom.

Califano v. Torres 435 US (1978)
The constitutional right of interstate travel is virtually unqualified.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 8:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
No it doesn't.
Indeed. It doesn't take genius and detailed statistical record-keeping and analysis to figure out for himself that he had worn the shirt at airports at least five times before without incident. There is no good reason for a person to conclude that the next time would be so radically different from his own prior experiences and that of others.

I can pretty much figure out the minimum number of times this communication device of mine has been on a plane without some paranoid "gutless little twerp[s]" working themselves into a frenzy because of it. Perhaps next time can be different -- just depends on others.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 8:43 pm

No, I didn't. Are you drunk? I said "common f**king sense" on an internet message board. That is a huge difference.

And Carl Johnson, I guess everyone who disagrees with you is a coward for not seeing how cool and ironic this shirt is. Cool beans, man. Can we go smoke some Parliament's in the back parking lot after school and talk more about how the mainstream is full of cowards and posers?
Haha, no, they're ignorant for not understanding what the shirt means. Seeing it as cool or ironic is a matter of taste, and chacun a son gôut.

They're cowards for being scared of a shirt.

The fact that they were scared of a shirt, though, does prove they have a correct understanding of how much the TSA contributes to security. If they believed the TSA did its job effectively, they wouldn't believe they had reason to be scared of another passenger, no matter what scary talismanic words were written on his shirt.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Wally Bird

Edwards v. People of State of California, 314 US (1941)
A citizen's right to interstate travel has long been recognized as a fundamental right, grounded upon the Privileges and Immunities Clause of Article IV, Section 2, of the United States Constitution.

Kent v. Dulles 357 US (1958)
The right to travel is a part of the 'liberty' of which the citizen cannot be deprived without the due process of law under the Fifth Amendment.

Aphtheker v. Sec. Of State 378 US (1964)
Freedom of travel is a constitutional liberty closely related to the rights of free speech and association The constitutional right to travel has been firmly established and repeatedly recognized. Freedom to travel throughout the United States has long been recognized as a basic right under the constitution.

US v. Guest 383 US (1966)
The constitutional right to travel from one State to another, and necessarily use the highways or other instruments of interstate commerce in doing so, occupies a position fundamental to the concept of our Federal Union. It is a right that has been firmly established and repeatedly recognized. Freedom to travel throughout
the United States has long been recognized as a basic right under the Constitution.

Shapiro v. Thompson 394 US (1969)
This Court long ago recognized that the nature of our Federal Union and our constitutional concepts of personal liberty unite to require that all citizens be free to travel throughout the length and breadth of our land uninhibited by statutes, rules or regulations which unreasonably burden or retrict this movement. It is a right broadly assertable against private interference as well as governmental action. It is a virtually unconditional personal right, guaranteed by the Constitution to us all.

Griffin v. Breckenridge 403 US (1971)
Our cases have firmly established that the right of interstate travel is
constitutionally protected, does not necessarily rest on the Fourteenth
Amendment, and is assertable against private as well as governmental
interference.

Dunn v. Blumstein 405 US (1972)
Freedom to travel throughout the United States has long been recognized as a basic right under the Constitution. (Affirming Guest, above)

US v. Davis 482 F.2D (1973)
It is firmly established that freedom to travel at home and abroad without unreasonable governmental restriction is a fundamental constitutional right of every citizen.

Memorial Hospital v. Maricopa County 415 US (1974)
The right of interstate travel has repeatedly been recognized as a basic
constitutional freedom.

Califano v. Torres 435 US (1978)
The constitutional right of interstate travel is virtually unqualified.
This case didn't involve a state actor though, so there isn't a constitutional issue.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 8:45 pm

Programs: Delta FO, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Gold, Nat'l Exec, Amex Plat
GUWonder and Carl Johnson... Have a good night getting your troll on. I'm gone for the night.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 8:45 pm
Suspended

No, I didn't.
Yes, you did. Your choice of repeated communication of angry vulgar expression on an internet board before flying (again) makes some people uncomfortable. Welcome to being a candidate for involuntary denied boarding.

He was denied boarding before communicating any vulgarity here or at the airport. And yet you have not been denied boarding even after communication of the angry vulgarity? Shocking.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 21, 2012 at 8:58 pm
Old Aug 21, 2012, 8:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
This case didn't involve a state actor though, so there isn't a constitutional issue.
The state actors didn't deny him boarding. His contractual right to fly may have been violated by DL who did deny him boarding -- although I expect a settlement likely from DL if he pushed the matter as much as he could if he so intends to do.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The state actors didn't deny him boarding. His contractual right to fly may have been violated by DL who did deny him boarding -- although I expect a settlement likely from DL if he pushed the matter as much as he could if he so intends to do.
Right. Contractual issues, plus maybe discrimination (addressed by statutes). Maybe the 1964 Civil Rights act if it can be demonstrated that the pilot was motivated by racism.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by mrredskin
he's an idiot. plain and simple. don't wear stupid s*** that a lot of other people don't know the meaning of when it could be construed the wrong way
The pen is mightier than the sword - thing to remember though is that it is NOT a sword.

If we have become afraid of words, then we must be equally afraid of thoughts. I don't really want to live in a world where our thoughts alone can define us as a credible threat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.