FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   TSA ‘Reaches’ Out at Paul Ryan Event (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1378737-tsa-reaches-out-paul-ryan-event.html)

Wimpie Aug 19, 2012 7:33 am

TSA ‘Reaches’ Out at Paul Ryan Event

http://shark-tank.net/wp-content/the...=90&w=617&zc=1

Lots of Senior crotches to fondle I guess
http://shark-tank.net/2012/08/18/tsa...ul-ryan-event/

chollie Aug 19, 2012 8:19 am

Are LEOs usually allowed beards?

These 'federal officers' would look more 'professional' if they cleaned up the facial hair (like, say, the guy in the background).

kochleffel Aug 19, 2012 8:38 am

From the article:

We heard that the TSA was going to expand its ummm, ‘reach,’ but to assist in political campaigns is quite the jump in broadening their ‘transportation security horizons.’ I counted no less than (6) TSA agents alongside the usual uniformed Secret Service detail-not to be confused with the ‘Men In Black’ looking agents.

Ari Aug 19, 2012 10:14 am

Originally Posted by chollie (Post 19151446)

It varies; I can tell you that plenty of agencies (including CBP last time I checked) have such a rule for this exact reason:

These 'federal officers' would look more 'professional' if they cleaned up the facial hair (like, say, the guy in the background).

Wimpie Aug 19, 2012 10:28 am

John Dennis for Congress

John Dennis - running against Nancy Pelosi is running this ad.
Go John!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5UkE...layer_embedded

GUWonder Aug 19, 2012 10:35 am

To answer the question: in many jurisdictions yes, even if not a part of a religious affiliation.

Ysitincoach Aug 19, 2012 1:29 pm

Why would any campaign want these guys anywhere visible to the public???

What's it matter? Romney's already been using Chertoff as an advisor, we're doomed with more of the same no matter which party is in power.

LtKernelPanic Aug 19, 2012 2:57 pm

I could be wrong but didn't they use these clowns at the 2008 conventions?

Caradoc Aug 19, 2012 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by LtKernelPanic (Post 19153286)
I could be wrong but didn't they use these clowns at the 2008 conventions?

In white shirts, as I recall.

The blue shirts do tend to make them more identifiable at a distance, which is useful when riding any form of public transportation in the vicinity of an airport.

Houston.Business Aug 19, 2012 4:17 pm

The guy on the right looks desprately in need of a bath.

Olton Hall Aug 19, 2012 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Caradoc (Post 19153341)
In white shirts, as I recall.

They rolled out the blue shirt for the 2008 RNC. All the screeners at MSP had them and most had shirts that were too big and looked liked slobs.

Wally Bird Aug 19, 2012 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Houston.Business (Post 19153638)
The guy on the right looks desperately in need of a bath.

If he frisked me, so would I :eek: .

I_Can_Fly_US_Airways Aug 19, 2012 5:40 pm

Wrong you are!!!

TSO "Screeners" are NOT LEO's!!! They are basically Walmart Greeters who work at airports & stand around...

LtKernelPanic Aug 19, 2012 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by I_Can_Fly_US_Airways (Post 19153977)
TSO "Screeners" are NOT LEO's!!! They are basically Walmart Greeters who work at airports & stand around...

Please don't insult walmart greeters like that. ;)

buckeyefanflyer Aug 19, 2012 11:37 pm

I was at a Obama event on the Ohio State campus 2 years ago and TSA was there. I thought maybe it was a slow day at CMH. I guess better utilize them other ways then eating donuts or doing gate screening.

Ysitincoach Aug 20, 2012 8:29 am

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer (Post 19155404)
I was at a Obama event on the Ohio State campus 2 years ago and TSA was there. I thought maybe it was a slow day at CMH. I guess better utilize them other ways then eating donuts or doing gate screening.

I don't think they're better utilized at these events at all.

In fact, the Secret Service Uniformed Division isn't very fond of them. It's more of a baby sitting, even so far as a liability having them on site. When it comes down to it, it's all political window dressing. Makes the screeners feel important, makes their managers feel like they've impressed someone in Washington, and infruriates people on these boards, so Mission Accomplished.

slidergirl Aug 20, 2012 11:09 am

Perhaps they are two of the "highly trained" BDOs, on the lookout for those micro-expressions that tell them they've found a bad, bad person... :rolleyes:

mikeef Aug 20, 2012 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Wimpie (Post 19151999)
John Dennis - running against Nancy Pelosi is running this ad.
Go John!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5UkE...layer_embedded

Gratuitous comments about San Francisco aside, it's nice to see a potential Congresscritter talking about the TSA.

Mike

JoeBas Aug 20, 2012 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Wimpie (Post 19151228)

I love the look on the face of the actual LEO in the background...

"Dafuq are they doing there?????"

tinman435 Aug 20, 2012 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by JoeBas (Post 19159005)

Well as one can see in the photo, they are not near an entrance. I guess they are doing their usual job of standing around doing NOTHING!

Im suprised that the secret service allows/trusts people who have not had a backround check to screen the public who are entering the event.

Caradoc Aug 20, 2012 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by tinman435 (Post 19159193)
Im suprised that the secret service allows/trusts people who have not had a backround check to screen the public who are entering the event.

They appear to be outside the barricades. Perhaps the Secret Service made a good call and told them to go be nuisances of themselves somewhere NOT near an entrance.

corporate666 Aug 22, 2012 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by JoeBas (Post 19159005)

It's quite an insult to the LEO's, I imagine.

Those LEO's will have quite a lot of training and experience. The Secret Service guys will have even more.

And then the TSA guys. A hair above minimum wage, a few "orientation" meetings, and a booklet to read and they are there too?

What an insult. Like asking an undergrad paralegal from the local correspondence community college to "assist" some Harvard Law hot-shots in a Supreme Court presentation.

TheRoadie Aug 22, 2012 4:50 pm

Perhaps the LEOs see them as phaser-fodder red shirts? Identifiable to dim-witted bad guys as the ones to take out first.

halls120 Aug 23, 2012 6:10 am

I wish TSA would issue their personnel brown shirts to replace the current blue.

That way they would be following in the footsteps of their European predecessors.

I_Can_Fly_US_Airways Aug 24, 2012 9:15 am

My Bad!

Originally Posted by LtKernelPanic (Post 19155321)
Please don't insult walmart greeters like that. ;)

Please accept my apologies. I should not have insulted the good hard working people of Walmart like that...

mahohmei Aug 24, 2012 2:45 pm

Take a close look at the TSA clerks in that picture: they're wearing ID cards on retractable reels.

I'm not claiming to be an expert in law enforcement, but if I recall correctly, LEOs and security guards typically wear nothing that could be used to strangle them--the best example of this is wearing clip-on ties instead of traditional ties, for the obvious reason that it'll pop off if someone grabs it in a confrontation.

Along those lines, I'd think that LEOs and security guards would stay well away from using retractable reels of any type, especially clipped so close to the neck on the shoulder strap.

Of course, I'm also assuming that (1) TSA clerks are LEOs or security guards, and (2) that they'd actually engage someone as a real LEO or security guard might have to.

Wally Bird Aug 24, 2012 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by mahohmei (Post 19187430)
Of course, I'm also assuming that (1) TSA clerks are LEOs or security guards, and (2) that they'd actually engage someone as a real LEO or security guard might have to.

The TSA workers at checkpoints (airport or elsewhere) are not guards and certainly not law enforcement. They have no powers of arrest or detention and are not legally empowered to initiate physical engagements (well, apart from the frisks :mad: ).

The ID lanyards or whatever they are called are probably a job lot form China. Please do not suggest strangling TSA workers. @:-);)