Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Hassles of Air Travel Push Passengers to Amtrak

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:37 am
Original Poster

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/16/bu...pagewanted=all

Between New York and Washington, Amtrak said, 75 percent of travelers go by train, a huge share that has been building steadily since the Acela was introduced in 2000 and airport security was tightened after 2001. Before that, Amtrak had just over a third of the business between New York and Washington.

“It’s easier. I don’t have to take my shoes off,” he said as he shared a drink with a friend in the Acela cafe car.
I have no sympathy for the airline executives.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by saulblum
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/16/bu...pagewanted=all

I have no sympathy for the airline executives.
+1

I'm ready to make the switch myself, especially after experiencing Delta at JFK (One of the worst terminals I have ever seen-I swear I saw a couple of dementors flying around.). I'll be sure to drop the airline a note explaining exactly why, as well. Will my one note make a difference? Of course not. But it has infinitesimally more impact than complaining about it on the internet.

Mike
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Of course, if enough passengers defect from the airlines because of government intervention, we the taxpayers can always bail them out.

Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:15 pm

I know it's a true stretch, but you have an administration with a railroad fascination. So by making a travel truly miserable they indirectly support the push for more rail travel. Especially in the northeast corridor.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
The part that I like is that I don't have to make my way to get to the airport. If I'm going city-to-city, the Acela is faster and more efficient. If I'm going from Manhattan to Downtown Boston, it's much easier to go straight from NY Penn to Boston South Sta. on Acela than it is to backtrack to JFK or LGA and wait for a plane to take me to Logan.

All those times wasted in getting to the airport, clearing TSA, waiting for boarding, push back, taxi to runway, "we're now number X for take off," actual flying in the air for 30 minutes, landing, taxi to the gate, deplaning, etc. etc. ... it's just not worth it for short intra-city distances.

I might as just head to the train station, hop on, read a book, and I'm already at the city center when I arrive.

Obviously a train won't work when going from LA to NY, but for shorter distances, the train is a better way to go than a plane due to the hassles involved.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

“Nothing compares to air service for a quick, convenient, on-time experience between major cities in the Northeast,” Mr. Lehmacher said. “US Airways shuttle allows customers to travel at three times the speed in less than half the time versus traditional forms of ground-based transportation.”
The sounds of a desperate spokesman.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
I love the definition of "on-time." Funny how my 35 minute flights BOSNYC are blocked for 1h45. They'd better be on-time.

Mike
Old Aug 15, 2012, 1:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I notice he's not even attempting to compare 'door-to-door' times, which is what matters to me.

It took me 3 hours recently - for a 30 minute flight (IIRC, actual air time was a few minutes less than that). I'm counting from the time I entered the departure terminal with carry-on only to the time I exited the arrival terminal (tiny) without stopping to pick up a bag.

I could have driven in almost the same time. No partial disrobing, no hands in my pants and between my legs, no shouting, no bellowing CNN overlaid with airport security announcements ad nauseum unlimited snacks and beverages of my choice.

(Only reason I flew was because I had to drive a truck back).
Old Aug 15, 2012, 1:32 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Over the years Amtrak has significantly changed for the better on those routes. The metroliners are pretty much gone, standing because the train is packed is a thing of the past in most cases, you have a seat, you have electricity, in some cases you have wifi or you have your own.

While you can attribute some of it to the hassles of an airport, some of it is Amtrak realizing if they give people the ability to work for the two or three hour trip if they want to work they will get way more business.

I'm currently sitting at my desk in Manhattan. Four minutes from now I could be standing on the Amtrak Platform (if I hit both walk lights in my favor). The airports can't possibly match that
Old Aug 15, 2012, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli
I'm currently sitting at my desk in Manhattan. Four minutes from now I could be standing on the Amtrak Platform (if I hit both walk lights in my favor). The airports can't possibly match that
Sure, but the domestic travel helps to subsidize international travel.... Half an hour from now I could be boarding a plane to a beach in another country. Amtrak can't possibly match that!

I've traveled by Amtrak 5 times and 4/5 times the delays were insane, I had a 12 hour delay one time from Virginia to Rhode Island.

Frankly the entire article smelled like a PR spin for Amtrak, an unprofitable heavily subsidized government run service.

Granted airlines also take subsidies, but at least there are a couple of companies you can choose from.

I'd rather take the bolt buses or drive rather than take Amtrak, and foreign travel is kind of a no brainer.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef
+1

I'm ready to make the switch myself, especially after experiencing Delta at JFK (One of the worst terminals I have ever seen-I swear I saw a couple of dementors flying around.). I'll be sure to drop the airline a note explaining exactly why, as well. Will my one note make a difference? Of course not. But it has infinitesimally more impact than complaining about it on the internet.

Mike
As opposed to the beauty that is NY Penn Station
Old Aug 15, 2012, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by serioustraveler
Sure, but the domestic travel helps to subsidize international travel.... Half an hour from now I could be boarding a plane to a beach in another country. Amtrak can't possibly match that!

I've traveled by Amtrak 5 times and 4/5 times the delays were insane, I had a 12 hour delay one time from Virginia to Rhode Island.

Frankly the entire article smelled like a PR spin for Amtrak, an unprofitable heavily subsidized government run service.

Granted airlines also take subsidies, but at least there are a couple of companies you can choose from.

I'd rather take the bolt buses or drive rather than take Amtrak, and foreign travel is kind of a no brainer.
And I'm sure any seasoned air traveler could find a five-trip sequence where he or she was delayed four times.

The article was about Northeast Corridor travel, not travel to far-flung beaches. So, what's your point?

Regarding profitability, get back to me when the (likely toll-free) highway you took to the airport turns a profit.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

More desperate execs --

Delta and US Airways are also making bids to get passengers back. Gail Grimmett, a Delta vice president, said the airline had made several changes in recent years to attract business travelers, including adding Wi-Fi for a fee to its flights connecting Washington, New York and Boston.

“The idea is to build brand loyalty. We want you to fly with us no matter where you are flying, not just the East Coast,” she said. “The train can’t take you to South Africa.”
Funny, because the plane can't take me to midtown Manhattan or Boston's Back Bay.

It's worth noting too that PreCheck does nothing to address the one issue most at stake here: time. You don't know whether you'll be deemed worthy enough till you get to the checkpoint, so you need to show up to allow enough time for the full experience.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 2:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Anyone know the financials on this?

Just how profitable are these northeast routes to the airlines? More profitable, say, than west coast business travel (up and down the coast)?
Old Aug 15, 2012, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cordelli
And as of a few weeks ago you needn't even stop to print out your ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.