Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Jet Skier Thwarts $100 Million JFK Security

Old Aug 13, 12, 3:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amanjunkie

http://gothamist.com/2012/08/12/sogg...ntly_thwar.php

"Diseases and heroin hair treatment products aren't the only thing that can slip into JFK Airport undetected—so can soggy, bright-yellow life jacket-wearing jet skiers from Howard Beach! According to the Post, Daniel Casillo, 31, inadvertently walked through two runways and into a terminal at JFK, bypassing all of their state-of-the-art security systems. "

"The Port Authority PBA has been concerned about the failure of the PIDS system for quite some time. We have brought this to the attention of former Executive Director Chris Ward, who failed to act,” said Robert Egbert, spokesman for the PA PBA."

Money well spent it seems
Old Aug 13, 12, 7:13 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
First or second story on all the NY area news I heard this morning on the way in

After a night of partying with pals, sinking his jet ski and swimming to shore, Daniel <<ermoved>>, 31, of Howard Beach strolled undetected across two runways and into a terminal.

Neither motion sensors nor closed-circuit cameras of the Perimeter Intrusion Detection System, or PIDS, detected Daniel, who was only busted when he approached a startled Delta Airlines worker near Gate 10.

Earlier that night, Daniel had been drinking at a Rosedale watering hole with his buds when they decided to go out racing their personal watercraft.
Daniel got separated from his partners as darkness fell, and then his jet ski conked out -- so he swam 3 miles to a runway at the airport.

Daniel -- in a bright yellow life vest -- climbed the eight-foot tall perimeter fence and made it all the way to Terminal 3 without anyone noticing.

Once apprehended, he was charged with criminal trespass.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/d...#ixzz23QnebqDM

And the story from the day before in the Post is here

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/b..._content=Local

Last edited by cordelli; Aug 13, 12 at 7:20 am
Old Aug 13, 12, 8:43 am

Being inside Delta's T3 at JFK for more than 5 minutes should be considered time served.

But seriously, this further highlights to the stupidity of current DHS policies when it comes to airport security. The spendthrift policies have shown no real gains in actually making things safer. To charge Mr. Casillo with a crime is further confirmation of the police state we have become. He had no malicious intent and simply did what any level headed person would do to save themselves in an emergency.

Last edited by WChou; Aug 13, 12 at 8:51 am
Old Aug 13, 12, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by WChou View Post
...To charge Mr. Casillo with a crime is further confirmation of the police state we have become. He had no malicious intent and simply did what any level headed person would do to save themselves in an emergency.
Absolutely. We have become a nation of cowards and idiots.

Bruce
Old Aug 13, 12, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, VX S
Nice. Not taken to the hospital for examination, but instead, thrown in jail. Great.
Old Aug 13, 12, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
After swimming 3 miles -- and drunk, besides!!! He's in better shape than I am.

Bruce
Old Aug 13, 12, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by bdschobel View Post
After swimming 3 miles -- and drunk, besides!!! He's in better shape than I am.

Bruce
Once ashore, he climbed over a 8' fence topped with barbed wire. Assuming he was able to take the shortest route to T3, he hiked across runway 13R/33L, taxiway bravo, taxiway alpha, onto the ramp and into the terminal. That's probably another half a mile. If he started at the blastpad for 4L/22R, that's about a 2 miles walk. All he needed to do was hop on a train home to complete the airport survival triathlon.
Old Aug 13, 12, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Swimming 3 miles in those waters at night....he's lucky to still have all his limbs attached, he's the luckiest guy around. Charged with criminal trespass? How about ensuring he is ok and taking him to the hospital for treatment?

I guess this is how the idiots at DHS and PANYNJ respond when they're made to look like bumbling morons in public....yet again....and again...and again.
Old Aug 13, 12, 11:09 am
wcj

For making my morning, I'm in for free legal research or some bail money.
Old Aug 13, 12, 11:16 am

Programs: DL MM, Hyatt Globalist
Who is in charge of this $100 mil system? They should arrest him too!
Old Aug 13, 12, 11:24 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
If it happened as described....

I commend the individual for choosing living by swimming 3 miles vs dying by drowning and it looks like PANY and associated flunkies need to go back to the drawing board.

If there is "more to the story", then throw the book at him but PANY and assorted flunkies STILL need to go back to the drawing board
Old Aug 13, 12, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

should be interesting

kind of illustrates how silly security (government) spending can get

i was going to say "what was he supposed to do, drown?"
until i looked at map >
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=jfk&ll...h&z=13&iwloc=A
so where exactly was he?
Old Aug 13, 12, 11:52 am

Location: Austin. DL Plat; WN A-List; Marriott Titanium; IHG Spire
Originally Posted by bdschobel View Post
Absolutely. We have become a nation of cowards and idiots.

Bruce
+1
Old Aug 13, 12, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I'm sure he was arrested "ut of an abundance of caution."
Old Aug 13, 12, 12:59 pm

Only ones that should be charged in this are Raytheon and the Port Authority.

Search this Thread