Community
Wiki Posts
Search

...But we never left the US?!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2012, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I wouldn't bet on all of that like the above post suggests you would, but I am familiar with the FAR to which you are referring.

Which FAR is there that mandates that the airline confirm via reference to ink-on-paper documents that the age of a domestic-flying lap child American infant is what a parent/guardian claims? [Sounds like a "may" above is not even a "may".] Even the annoying, paranoid government busybodies -- claiming "security" to get their way -- have carved out exceptions for young minors when it comes to ID checks.
That is a very simple question with a multipart answer. FAR 121.131 would apply and if the airline had a requirement for documentation, it becomes a part of the carrier's operating limitations by virtue of being a part o the FAA required ops manual, under FAR Parts 121 or 135, whichever is applicable.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
What evidence is there of a liability penalty based on the indicated FAR in the event of a plane accident involving a lap child infant? Theoretical claims have evidence too, or they are just wishful thinking.

I wouldn't be as sure as you are that "the airline has the right to refuse carriage to any child that appears to be over the age of two".

The FAR relevant to lap child infants has everything to do with safety and security, even of the financial and/or job (in)security sort.
I suspect that like the huge majority of passengers on the airlines, you'
've never really read your ticket, which technically is not a ticket but, rather, a "contract of carriage." That contract incorporates by reference all of the provisions of the particular airline's "tariff", which really isn't a "tariff" but is called that because that"s what the CAB (Civil Aeronautics Board) called it, and the bureaucrats are too lazy to change the name to reflect that fact.
Moreover, every Operating Certificate puts the responsibility for assuring compliance with all FARs on the Operator (airline). The effect of a violation of a regulation on civil liability is a matter of state, and not federal, law, but in almost every state, the voilation of a regulation is per se negligence, giving rise to tort liability.
So, to cut through the sophistry here, there is no FAR which says, specifically, that every baby needs a birth certificate. But there also is no FAR that specifically says "You may not point the nose of your MD-80 down to achieve an alpha which results in mach tuck." But I want to see someone do that and try to escape liability because no reg said you couldn't do it.
And by the way, IAAL, retired now but having done aviation law for 35 years.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 7:58 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 4nsicdoc
've never really read your ticket, which technically is not a ticket but, rather, a "contract of carriage." That contract incorporates by reference all of the provisions of the particular airline's "tariff", which really isn't a "tariff" but is called that because that"s what the CAB (Civil Aeronautics Board) called it, and the bureaucrats are too lazy to change the name to reflect that fact.
Moreover, every Operating Certificate puts the responsibility for assuring compliance with all FARs on the Operator (airline). The effect of a violation of a regulation on civil liability is a matter of state, and not federal, law, but in almost every state, the voilation of a regulation is per se negligence, giving rise to tort liability.
So, to cut through the sophistry here, there is no FAR which says, specifically, that every baby needs a birth certificate. But there also is no FAR that specifically says "You may not point the nose of your MD-80 down to achieve an alpha which results in mach tuck." But I want to see someone do that and try to escape liability because no reg said you couldn't do it.
And by the way, IAAL, retired now but having done aviation law for 35 years.
^^^

Thank you for stating so succinctly something like what I was trying to say! ;-) So anyways... the carrier can rightly ask for documentation re: the lap child, but can TSA or Border patrol demand the same? (if not for reason of FAR regulation violations but for reason of suspected crimes???) I think this was the original question?

Last edited by loops; Aug 9, 2012 at 8:03 pm Reason: clarification
Old Aug 10, 2012, 1:17 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Annoying, paranoid busybodies can ask for just about anything they wish, but that doesn't mean it is generally legally required.

've never really read your ticket, which technically is not a ticket but, rather, a "contract of carriage."
Your suspicions are suspect to the extent of being patently false.

I am quite familiar with every element that you included in your above posts, so yet another validation of the same is welcome nonetheless.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 10, 2012 at 1:25 am
Old Aug 10, 2012, 4:06 pm

Who'd be making the tort claim in the child case? Are you claiming that a passenger whose child was injured could successfully sue the airline because they didn't force the parent to prove that the child was under 24 months old? That seems more than a bit far-fetched to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.