Community
Wiki Posts
Search

...But we never left the US?!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2012, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by aaexnonrev
I understand and sympathize with you situation a birth certificate doesn't prove anything just like you described. But the USVI is not the US and is not US soil. It is a territory with its own laws, government, and customs. They drive on the left side of the road and can't vote in federal elections. I love the USVI but when I go there I don't have the attitude that I am on US soil.
Very wrong. All US territories are "US soil". A territory has its own laws and government just like any state, or cities, but just about every federal law is enforced in the territories (unless specifically excluded). They vote in federal elections, although they are not numerically represented in Congress. Since 2009, every US civilian territory has a congressperson (who can write laws but cannot officially vote). You can even vote for president on Guam's ballot, although that vote is multiplied by ZERO electors as "allowed" by the US constitution. The USVI belongs to the United States but is not part of the United States. Therefore it's incorrect that the OP claims to have "never left the US".

Among all territories, only Puerto Rico is within the regular US customs jurisdiction. All other territories have their own customs. Guam, CNMI are separate US immigration jurisdictions. American Samoa's immigration isn't even run by the US government.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by tanja
I hear what you are saying.

In my case was that me and son both speak swedish/english. Have swedish passports.

A minor child in Sweden cant get an passport unless both parents sign the paper work for a passport.

Plus you can tell that he is my son.He is very much looking like me.
A minor child in Sweden may be able to get a passport even when both parents don't sign the paperwork for a Swedish passport: amongst applicable circumstances (for some but not all) vary from a child only having one custodial parent, to other custodial parent locked up overseas, or to a Swedish custodial parent taking advantage of custodial non-Swedish parent and applying by having someone else attesting to the signature of the non-Swedish custodial parent because the national police (who issue passports) refuse to accept foreign passports as ID for custodial non-Swedish parents when it comes to such applications.

Some of the most systemstically ridiculous things I have seen when it comes to passport handling in dozens of countries is in Sweden, including because a huge proportion of Swedish passports have incorrect place of birth listings since they use a reactionary parish-type registration system that has parental address as place of birth even as most people are no longer born at home in Sweden.

That all said I agree with you that the CBP often makes a stink when parent and child's last names are different from one another. What has made matters worse is that the governmental clowns in the US and elsewhere have forgotten or are ignorant that majority Western European naming conventions are not universal. For example, often first names are family names in some parts of the world or a middle name may be a given name while the other names don't follow the most common US type naming traditions in recent generations.

.... And when it comes to parent/guardian and children who don't appear to be of entirely the same ethnic background(s), racist and sexist perceptions creep into the way such persons are challenged by government power-trip types who are petty little Napoleons.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 5, 2012 at 1:10 pm
Old Aug 5, 2012, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
A minor child in Sweden may be able to get a passport even when both parents don't sign the paperwork for a Swedish passport: amongst applicable circumstances (for some but not all) vary from a child only having one custodial parent, to other custodial parent locked up overseas, or to a Swedish custodial parent taking advantage of custodial non-Swedish parent and applying by having someone else attesting to the signature of the non-Swedish custodial parent because the national police (who issue passports) refuse to accept foreign passports as ID for custodial non-Swedish parents when it comes to such applications.

Some of the most systemstically ridiculous things I have seen when it comes to passport handling in dozens of countries is in Sweden, including because a huge proportion of Swedish passports have incorrect place of birth listings since they use a reactionary parish-type registration system that has parental address as place of birth even as most people are no longer born at home in Sweden.

That all said I agree with you that the CBP often makes a stink when parent and child's last names are different from one another. What has made matters worse is that the governmental clowns in the US and elsewhere have forgotten or are ignorant that majority Western European naming conventions are not universal. For example, often first names are family names in some parts of the world or a middle name may be a given name while the other names don't follow the most common US type naming traditions in recent generations.

.... And when it comes to parent/guardian and children who don't appear to be of entirely the same ethnic background(s), racist and sexist perceptions creep into the way such persons are challenged by government power-trip types who are petty little Napoleons.

I hear you . When I did that years ago. They needed both parents signature with picture . Otherwise NO.And they were very strict about that. Plus 2 witnesess to the signature.
My signature was verified by a swedish high rank police.

Me and my son have blonde hair and blue eyes. Plus he was much taller than mE.
We also had joint custody .That eeven if the son lived with me.. We never ever had problems with that. Other people did!

To the name thing . My third name is the name I have gone by my whole life since birth. The 2 first ones are my middle names.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 5:09 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
No you look, it is very simple. I am discussing all areas. You might not be.

But The fact remains the USVI has seperate customs laws, and because CBP is now one agency they were not out of order in asking. The point is the question is absurd because it proves nothing about kidnapping.
Different customs, but not immigration laws. That's the big difference. This agent was out of line.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by Affection
I actually know this guy who has a fake Hawaii birth certificate...

--Jon
Is that guy called Barack?
Old Aug 6, 2012, 7:48 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by N1120A
Different customs, but not immigration laws. That's the big difference. This agent was out of line.
It is under their agency's purview, and since they are now one agency post 11 Sept 01 we can presume they feel it is ok to ask. While none of us might agree with that policy, and unlike the TSA making up many rules as they go along, this officer actually has that as one of his general duties. They actually pull immigration duty all the time in the USVI. I have seen them give American, LPRs, and foreign visitors the 3rd degree just as they would at a formal border crossing. I sold my place there in 2007 and my last visit was early 08 but it was quite common during all my trips during those times. I'd presume nothing has changed since.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 9:59 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
While none of us might agree with that policy, and unlike the TSA making up many rules as they go along, this officer actually has that as one of his general duties. They actually pull immigration duty all the time in the USVI. I have seen them give American, LPRs, and foreign visitors the 3rd degree just as they would at a formal border crossing.
What documents, if any, is a US citizen or the parents of a minor US Citizen required to carry to enter the USVI and return to the United States?

My guess is that a birth certificate is not remotely required. Otherwise, the airline would take the responsibility of verifying possession so they don't have to provide free freight home for a "deported" passenger, just like they do with passports and visas on ex-US international flights.

I can (barely) tolerate immigration/customs going on fishing expeditions with questions like this based on twisted law-enforcement logic, but the OP stated that they were told "'next time you'd better have her birth certificate." That is a command from a government official acting under color of authority that I suspect is utterly false. If so, it should be grounds for termination.

This routine seems very similar to the internal Constitution-free highway checkpoints border patrol likes to set up "near" the land borders. They can ask me about my citizenship or really any other questions, but I am under no obligation to provide them with or carry my US passport, and any insinuation that I should be carrying a passport would presumably be a problem.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 10:41 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by studentff
What documents, if any, is a US citizen or the parents of a minor US Citizen required to carry to enter the USVI and return to the United States?
There is a law requiring US citizens to have passports to travel internationally outside the Western Hemisphere. If you don't have one, you'll still be let in eventually, but you'll be penalized for breaking that law.

A passport is not "required" to travel to border regions and non-incorporated territories, but IDs are "recommended" because of the "legality" of "checkpoints" (border patrol, territorial airports). They are still required to let you pass--eventually. This may not have been well enough advertized (or explained in TIMATIC).
Old Aug 6, 2012, 3:58 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by okamzikprosim
Interesting... I've flown from SJU to the Mainland before and never encountered anything like this. What is this about?
I know the checkpoints you're talking about and I was under the impression that they were USDA/ agricultural inspections (which are usually conducted by CBP agents at any port of entry) and are not immigration related.

Checking birth certificates or passports leaving Guam and the CMNI would make sense as the Pacific territories have their own visas and visa-waiver program that are not valid (in their own right) for the Mainland, and CBP has a presence in Agana and Saipan to ensure departing travelers are either US Citizens or have the correct visa or ESTA to travel to the 50 States. The Virgin Islands on the other hands have the same immigration rules as the rest of the country...
Old Aug 6, 2012, 3:59 pm

C**P

Originally Posted by tentseller
IMHO It is very irresponsible for parents to travel anywhere without the birth certificate (the only legal ID) of their child.

It is accepted proof of identity of the child and the parental/guardian relationship.

One example: if anything happens to the child and medical attention is needed, without a birth certificate to ascertain your legal connection and your authority to act on their behalf your child will be subjected to whatever the doctor/local authorities' treatment without your input.
That statement is a load of c**p! It is so factually wrong that I don't even know where to begin...
Old Aug 6, 2012, 5:30 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by thomwithanh
The Virgin Islands on the other hands have the same immigration rules as the rest of the country...
True but they have a different customs union and CBP enforces both (not true pre 11 Sept 01)
Old Aug 6, 2012, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
There is a law requiring US citizens to have passports to travel internationally outside the Western Hemisphere. If you don't have one, you'll still be let in eventually, but you'll be penalized for breaking that law.
The above is more myth than reality.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 8:06 pm

Nothing politically related (as this thread seems to have been hijacked to), but if you plan to travel with your child as a lap child you may be asked for a birth certificate within the U.S. to verify their age. Most airline websites will indicate that they require I.D. to verify their age, especially when they get close to the 2 year old cut off for lap child qualification.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 1:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GalleyWench
Nothing politically related (as this thread seems to have been hijacked to), but if you plan to travel with your child as a lap child you may be asked for a birth certificate within the U.S. to verify their age. Most airline websites will indicate that they require I.D. to verify their age, especially when they get close to the 2 year old cut off for lap child qualification.
I have had hundreds of flights domestically where U2 lap child infant birth certificates never entered into the picture even as most of the trips were for large 18-24 month olds. That just speaks to the (in)frequency of the demand for that.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Not true. I have entered the U.S. without a passport (from France, after mine was stolen -- and after 9/11/01). If you really believe this, then show us the cite. I have been told many, many times that a U.S. citizen can enter the U.S. -- his or her own country, after all! -- with or without a passport, or even stark naked, without any identification at all. End of story.

Bruce

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.