FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   Flight Diverted Over Unclaimed Camera (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1372620-flight-diverted-over-unclaimed-camera.html)

Wally Bird Aug 1, 2012 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by coachrowsey (Post 19040578)
Every one have a nice day I'm done with this & TSS.

Uh-huh.

spd476 Aug 1, 2012 12:48 pm

Let's say this actually was a bomb. Wouldn't it be too late to do anything at this point? If the bomber is on the plane, he probably has a way to detonate the bomb. If the bomb is on a timer, it may be too late unless it was set to detonate over Europe. Even then, flight delays and such would make it risky to accomplish that goal. I don't understand why fighters were scrambled to intercept this plane. It's unlikely that a plane will be taken over like on 9/11 even if there are terrorists with bombs, guns, etc. because the passengers and crew aren't going to let the terrorists take over. The plane will likely blow up over or crash into the ocean.

I think if the terrorists get to the airport, security and intelligence has already lost the battle. If a terrorist is caught at the checkpoint, won't he just detonate his explosives while standing in a likely densely packed area? I don't think they are going through the checkpoints anyway. There are other ways to gain access to the sterile area at the airport that are probably easier.

mikeef Aug 1, 2012 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by sbrower (Post 19040742)
Most of us (including me) have never met you. So we don't know about your inherent bravery. (And I am not teasing you - perhaps you are a very brave person working on a demolitions team in the Marines). Further, bravery (versus cowardice) is probably not the appropriate equation. Sitting near a bomb, without protection, is not bravery, it is stupidity.

But the opinion you posted is inconsistent with rational risk-reward behavior in the opinion of many of us here.

+1

Mike

MaximumSisu Aug 1, 2012 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by studentff (Post 19041098)

To be fair, it happened, but long before the current security regimen.

And even if we allow it, given the number of flights since 1994, we have to increase 99.9% to at least 99.99999%.

Originally Posted by coachrowsey (Post 19039870)
IMO (based on article) flight crew done the right thing. Now I understand that 99.9% of these things turn out false but I don't want to be on the one that's false.

Now go ahead and slam me.

You asked for it, you got it -------------------Toyota!

jkhuggins Aug 1, 2012 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by spd476 (Post 19041466)
If a terrorist is caught at the checkpoint, won't he just detonate his explosives while standing in a likely densely packed area?

For whatever it's worth ... that doesn't appear to be the observed mode of operation we've seen to date. Mr. Shoe Bomber and Mr. Underwear Bomber tried to set off their explosives on an aircraft, not in the airport itself. Other rumors of threats seem to be centered on flights in motion (if one believes such rumors).

That doesn't, of course, mean that such a mode of operation is impossible; suicide bombers approaching congested locations happens far too often in other places in the world.

But keep in mind: most terrorists aren't looking to simply kill people. There are far easier ways to do that than trying to blow up an airplane. Yes, one might kill more people standing in line in an airport than exploding a plane mid-air.

MaximumSisu Aug 1, 2012 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by jkhuggins (Post 19041728)
For whatever it's worth ... that doesn't appear to be the observed mode of operation we've seen to date. Mr. Shoe Bomber and Mr. Underwear Bomber tried to set off their explosives on an aircraft, not in the airport itself. Other rumors of threats seem to be centered on flights in motion (if one believes such rumors).

I must have missed where Messrs. Shoe Bomber and Underwear Bomber were caught at the checkpoint while carrying their explosives (as spd476 suggested could happen, and to whom you responded), and then released to board the plane. Please elaborate.

jkhuggins Aug 1, 2012 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by MaximumSisu (Post 19041778)
I must have missed where Messrs. Shoe Bomber and Underwear Bomber were caught at the checkpoint while carrying their explosives (as spd476 suggested could happen, and to whom you responded), and then released to board the plane. Please elaborate.

I missed that ... but it doesn't invalidate the point. If someone carrying explosives intended for use while airborne is caught at a checkpoint, it doesn't immediately follow that (s)he will denote those explosives at the checkpoint. One action isn't necessarily equivalent to the other.

N830MH Aug 1, 2012 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar (Post 19041045)
If it indeed was a small digital camera I have to wonder what they would have done had it been an iPhone?

I believe it was someone who left the digital camera. Nobody who took it. I wasn't sure why. Maybe someone who leave the camera behind. They have responsible for that. They cannot leave the camera in the aircraft.

MaximumSisu Aug 1, 2012 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by jkhuggins (Post 19041879)
I missed that ... but it doesn't invalidate the point. If someone carrying explosives intended for use while airborne is caught at a checkpoint, it doesn't immediately follow that (s)he will denote those explosives at the checkpoint. One action isn't necessarily equivalent to the other.

While not 100% concordant, experience in Israel, Iraq and Afghanistan is that a large number of suicide bombers, if intercepted prior to their target, will -- if allowed -- detonate their explosives.

After all, it is less likely that they'll merely say "Shucks, you got me. If I can't blow up that plane, I just don't care to blow up anything."

exwannabe Aug 1, 2012 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by jkhuggins (Post 19041728)
For whatever it's worth ... that doesn't appear to be the observed mode of operation we've seen to date. ,....

But neither does leaving items behind for a future flight.

If a "bad guy" got the device on board, it would be with him so he could set it off by hand.

The flight was diverted due to "an abundance of stupidity"

jtodd Aug 1, 2012 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by coachrowsey (Post 19040578)
Man you have no idea I'm anything but a coward. Every one have a nice day I'm done with this & TSS.

Please don't leave your ball, we'll have a mass evacuation of TSS out of an abundance of fear!

Carl Johnson Aug 1, 2012 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by jkhuggins (Post 19041879)

Yeah. Terrorists only care about blowing up aircraft, so if one gets caught at a checkpoint, he'll just go quietly. He isn't going to want to highlight the fact that the checkpoint queue presents a huge vulnerability - made worse by the NOSs and other elements of the TSA that slow down operation and increase the length of the queue.

If Ahmed Ressam had succeeded in his plot to blow up a passenger waiting area at LAX, that wouldn't have frightened anybody.

saulblum Aug 1, 2012 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by exwannabe (Post 19041954)
The flight was diverted due to "an abundance of stupidity"

Flight crew have no financial incentive not to overreact. They're not going to lose any pay if it turns out to be a false alarm. And in the extremely unlikely event that it was something, they would be lauded as heroes.

Though their count seems to be dwindling, you see how many anything-for-safety types there are amongst the general public. There is no reason to think that there is not an equal proportion of such types amongst flight crews.

Pesky Monkey Aug 1, 2012 7:57 pm

IMO (based on article) flight crew done the right thing. Now I understand that 99.9% of these things turn out false but I don't want to be on the one that's false.

Consider yourself slammed :D This is friggin ridiculous. The correct figure is 100%.

Darkumbra Aug 1, 2012 9:30 pm

Sigh. 99.9% of the time you get in a car you'll be fine. .01% of the time you might get hurt. I suggest you stop driving.

America - once the land of the brave. Now? Not so much.