Wiki Posts
Search

DFW-YYZ-LHR - Customs in YYZ?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2012, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage
DFW-YYZ-LHR - Customs in YYZ?

This is my first time to get from DFW (on AA) to LHR via a BA codeshare through Toronto. Will I have to claim my bags and go through Canadian customs and immigration at YYZ?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I've always flown direct from DFW-LHR.

Mark
Old Aug 5, 2012, 6:25 am

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
No, you will not go through Candian Customs at all on the DFW-YYZ-LHR. Do not go to the Customs hall at all.

You will have to go through Canadian Immigration (but NOT Customs), but you do it at a special Transit Immigration desk that is still upstairs right over the international gates. Last time I did an outbound international connection in YYZ it took me all of 30 seconds. Literally.It's never taken me more than 3 or 4 minutes including line-wait time.

On the way back, you also will not go through Canadian Customs, and you won't go through Canadian Immigration, either. Instead, you will claim your bags at a special USA transit area, then go through US Customs and Immigration pre-clearance putting you legally in the US from an immigration perspective, and then through CTSA. When you arrive back in DFW it will be at a regular domestic gate.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 6:28 am
Original Poster

MarkXS,

Thanks for the info. My return is LHR-ORD-DFW. I assume I'll go through US Customs in Chicago.

Cheers,

Mark
Old Aug 5, 2012, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by MarkXS
You will have to go through Canadian Immigration (but NOT Customs), but you do it at a special Transit Immigration desk that is still upstairs right over the international gates. Last time I did an outbound international connection in YYZ it took me all of 30 seconds. Literally.It's never taken me more than 3 or 4 minutes including line-wait time.
Note that he's coming in on AA, not AC. Is the above also true at that terminal?
Old Aug 5, 2012, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by hobanma
Thanks for the info. My return is LHR-ORD-DFW. I assume I'll go through US Customs in Chicago.
Yes.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Does anyone know if I'll be able to use the TSA Pre program at DFW? I just got my Global Entry yesterday and haven't used it yet. One thing I read said that you must use one of the kiosks to check in rather than get the boarding pass at the desk.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 5:02 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Incidentally, if the OP had NEXUS, it is often faster and easier to go out the normal way and back in.

Does anyone know if I'll be able to use the TSA Pre program at DFW? I just got my Global Entry yesterday and haven't used it yet. One thing I read said that you must use one of the kiosks to check in rather than get the boarding pass at the desk.
Almost certainly not, because it is an international journey. I personally got an LLL on the domestic connection leg on a return international, and some others have reported similar experiences, but international outbounds are not getting LLL at this point.

That said, when you are returning from LHR, you will be able to use the GE kiosk at YYZ pre-clearance or whatever your first US POE is if you are touching down in the US on the return.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by MarkXS
No, you will not go through Candian Customs at all on the DFW-YYZ-LHR. Do not go to the Customs hall at all.

On the way back, you also will not go through Canadian Customs, and you won't go through Canadian Immigration, either. Instead, you will claim your bags at a special USA transit area, then go through US Customs and Immigration pre-clearance putting you legally in the US from an immigration perspective, and then through CTSA. When you arrive back in DFW it will be at a regular domestic gate.
Which airline and terminal were you transiting at YYZ?

Your procedure sounds right for T1 which is the AC/*A terminal but not for T3 which is used by the majority of the OW(AA,BA,CX) and ST(DL,AF,KL). T3 intl/US express transit is in the works but not implemented yet.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
Which airline and terminal were you transiting at YYZ?

Your procedure sounds right for T1 which is the AC/*A terminal but not for T3 which is used by the majority of the OW(AA,BA,CX) and ST(DL,AF,KL). T3 intl/US express transit is in the works but not implemented yet.
I go from DFW to YYZ on AA and switch to BA at YYZ. On the return it's LHR to ORD on BA, then ORD-DFW on AA.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I go from DFW to YYZ on AA and switch to BA at YYZ. On the return it's LHR to ORD on BA, then ORD-DFW on AA.
You are transiting in T3 which is still the enter Canada, Immigration-bags-Custom routine and then recheck bags-international departure security.

T1 express transit was put in to give home field advantage to AC and their *A partners for TPAC and TATL flights

The faster method in T1 is announced as coming to T3, when? your guess is as good as mine. A subway to a suburb university was announced when I was doing my post-grad. Both my son and daughter has graduated and it is still not completed.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 11:36 am

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by tentseller
You are transiting in T3 which is still the enter Canada, Immigration-bags-Custom routine and then recheck bags-international departure security.

T1 express transit was put in to give home field advantage to AC and their *A partners for TPAC and TATL flights

The faster method in T1 is announced as coming to T3, when? your guess is as good as mine. A subway to a suburb university was announced when I was doing my post-grad. Both my son and daughter has graduated and it is still not completed.
T3 you definitely have to go through passport control and the customs hall as if Canada was your final destination, but wouldn't your bags just be transferred over to BA if you're on a single ticket?

Last time I flew into Pearson, I was at T2... what ever happened to T2?
Old Aug 7, 2012, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

T2 is gone around 06-07?. Many YYZ traveler are glad.

This is the T3 US/intl transit routine.

Enter Canada immigration check.
Pick up bags -exit custom.
Drop bags off on intl connection belt to be check.
Head upstaris to departure level.
intl - CATSA security check
US - US CBP, then CATSA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.