Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Mayo Clinic patient humiliated at Dallas Love Field

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

More trouble for those who are ill:
http://kstp.com/news/stories/S2695022.shtml?cat=1
"...Deaton says a TSA officer at Dallas' Love Field threw out her soft foods in her carry-on bag, did not give her secondary screening in a "private room" and required, and "embarrassed her," in front of other passengers..."

The video mentions that instead of a private room they put her behind a screen, separated her from her luggage and threw out her pudding. When she complained to a supervisor, he took the pudding out of the garbage, disappeared with it to test it, and then put it back in her carryon. They then forced her to check her carry on. The reporter seems unaware that medically necessary food is exempt from the freedom baggie restrictions.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 6:35 am

This article is even worse (and not just for the video still image).

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/TSA...162985046.html

They had physically stripped her and saw the tube coming out of her stomach, and they decided that they needed to check it for explosives, so they had to physically handle the tube," John Deaton said.

Besides handling the tube, agents swabbed it for bomb-making material, Melinda Deaton said. Her husband said it put his wife at risk of infection.

"Any time you put a harsh substance on it, you run the risk of contamination," he said. "They put stuff on there that we don't know what it is and identify. She has a weak immune system as part of her medical condition, and it can be very fatal to her.
Of course the TSA had to weigh in:

TSA spokesman Luis Casanova would not comment on what chemicals were on the swabs but did say that touching the device is not supposed to happen.
Lots of things are "not supposed to happen" at the checkpoint, but they keep happening. How long before the TSA actually kills someone?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 6:58 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
“As I mentioned before, we respect the right to privacy of the passenger in question and will reach out directly to her," Casanova said. "Once we have further information, I will provide a statement as necessary."
I'll save you the trouble Luis:
"We have reviewed the video and our officers followed correct procedure".
Old Jul 19, 2012, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by spd476
This article is even worse (and not just for the video still image).

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/TSA...162985046.html

Of course the TSA had to weigh in:

TSA spokesman Luis Casanova would not comment on what chemicals were on the swabs but did say that touching the device is not supposed to happen.

Lots of things are "not supposed to happen" at the checkpoint, but they keep happening. How long before the TSA actually kills someone?

They keep fiddling with gastric tubes, not long.
(Please, gawd, let them at least have changed their gloves.)

~~ Irish
Old Jul 19, 2012, 7:50 am

Right then, right there, this is the kind of thing that needs to be escalated on the spot. Call for the airport paramedics, get transported to an emergency room and have the situation evaluated, managed and documented by a doctor.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by TheGolfWidow
Right then, right there, this is the kind of thing that needs to be escalated on the spot. Call for the airport paramedics, get transported to an emergency room and have the situation evaluated, managed and documented by a doctor.
Except in the end it greatly inconveniences the pax and TSA doesn't care at all.

Note: Mrs. Deaton has flown back-and-forth to Mayo before without these problems. This was not a 'rogue' agent - this was at least two agents acting in concert. I think they were acting like children - 'ooh, gross, I want to see, I want to touch'. It's too hard to believe not one, but two agents both forgot or misunderstood their training.

TSA's response is also sickening. A 'private' conversation with the Deatons out of 'respect for their privacy' - it's a bit late. Why didn't the agents show Mrs. Deaton 'respect' at the checkpoint? There should be stiff sanctions for the agents (I think this justifies termination, myself) and they should be forced to publicly apologize to Mrs. Deaton.

Someone's going to say it: "What's it going to take before these people get their act together? Someone dying?"

Think again. If and when a pax is seriously injured or dies because of something a TSO does or doesn't do, nothing will change. TSA will indicate any way in which the pax was guilty or complicit in his/her injury/death and offer to talk to the family in private. TSOs will continue without consequences for their behavior - just as they've done for the last decade.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:30 am

Programs: Ham Sandwich Medallion
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
I'll save you the trouble Luis:
"We have reviewed the video and our officers followed correct procedure".
Correction:

"Video was not available for review during our investigation. Upon speaking with the TSOs involved, we've noted inconsistencies between the passenger's claims and our findings. We believe our officers acted professionally and, out of an abundance of caution, followed correct procedure."

Does anyone else remember that Iraqi war minister who stood there insisting that absolutely nothing was wrong as the regime around him was being wiped out piece by piece?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by T.J. Bender
Does anyone else remember that Iraqi war minister who stood there insisting that absolutely nothing was wrong as the regime around him was being wiped out piece by piece?
Why do you think people refer to the TSA's primary blogger as "Blogdad Bob?"
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:48 am

Agreed. Let the 'system' escalate this into the media as far as it can go.

When a doctor is asked, "what are the risks of contamination?" they WILL respond with the worst case scenario, MRSA infections, and the CDC and WHO will inevitably get drawn into the fray. These organizations don't exactly downplay these types of risks. Pitting one large organization against another large organization with the public as a pawn in the middle, is a great way to get attention.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Darkumbra
Agreed. Let the 'system' escalate this into the media as far as it can go.

When a doctor is asked, "what are the risks of contamination?" they WILL respond with the worst case scenario, MRSA infections, and the CDC and WHO will inevitably get drawn into the fray. These organizations don't exactly downplay these types of risks. Pitting one large organization against another large organization with the public as a pawn in the middle, is a great way to get attention.
But in the end, TSA keeps on doing what they're doing with impunity.

I don't notice 're-training' being used as frequently these days...
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by chollie
But in the end, TSA keeps on doing what they're doing with impunity.

The "impunity" part isn't a given. If I have an open wound, I would not let anyone except a trained medical person, or someone I trust, touch it, examine it, or even expose it to the air.

The TSA don't fall into these categories. I would make it very clear that if they attempted to touch it? They would lose an eye. Not a threat - a promise.

I'm talking about significant risk of infection here - so it's just not going to happen. If I'm told I can't fly unless they inspect it? Then I don't fly. My choice. One i'm willing to make no matter the reason for my need to travel. But if they attempt to examine it without my permission - all hell breaks lose. I have a personal responsibility for my own well being, the TSA don't get to violate that under any circumstances.

We all put up with a lot of nonsense, silliness, ignorance, thuggery and plain stupidity from this organization, but there are lines we cannot, must not, allow them to cross. This is one of them. We only have ourselves to blame when we give them permission to violate our person.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:39 am

Programs: Ham Sandwich Medallion
Originally Posted by Caradoc
Why do you think people refer to the TSA's primary blogger as "Blogdad Bob?"
I'd assumed it was because he represented an agency that acts much like the Saddam Hussein often did--without justification or explanation.

Originally Posted by Darkumbra
Pitting one large organization against another large organization with the public as a pawn in the middle, is a great way to get attention.
Who wants to bet Sasha Whatsherface sends out a note "strongly cautioning" the media not to cover this story?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by T.J. Bender
I'd assumed it was because he represented an agency that acts much like the Saddam Hussein often did--without justification or explanation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_Saeed_al-Sahhaf

Al-Sahhaf is known for his daily press briefings in Baghdad during the 2003 Iraq War. His colorful appearances caused him to be nicknamed Baghdad Bob (in the style of previous propagandists with geographical aliases - some of them alliterative, such as "Hanoi Hannah" and "Seoul City Sue") by commentators in the United States and Comical Ali (an allusion to Chemical Ali, the nickname of former Iraqi Defence Minister Ali Hassan al-Majid) by commentators in the United Kingdom; commentators in Italy similarly nicknamed him Alì il Comico.

On April 7, 2003, two days before Baghdad fell to US forces, al-Sahhaf claimed that there were no American troops in Baghdad, and that the Americans were committing suicide by the hundreds at the city's gates. He made this statement while standing on the east bank of the Dijli (Tigris) River in the center of Baghdad. His back was to the river and reporters could see two American Army M1 Abrams tanks behind him on a road on the far side of the river. His last public appearance as Information Minister was on April 8, 2003, when he said that the Americans "are going to surrender or be burned in their tanks. They will surrender, it is they who will surrender."
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:33 pm

Except in the end it greatly inconveniences the pax and TSA doesn't care at all.
Might not be quite as inconvenient as developing MRSA or some other illness at the hands of vectors for disease.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:39 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Perhaps they have realized it isn't a 'training' issue, but one of enforcement.

Some people are untrainable and some simply ignore whatever instruction they were given. It's my impression a lot of both kinds work for the TSA.

In this particular instance all the perpetrators, up to and including the manager, should be fired. Period. Won't happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.