Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA wants pax to remove service dog's collar

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2012, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA

While going thru security yesterday at SMF, I saw a woman in the next line with a handicapped child in a wheelchair and a service dog. The child was cleared with a minimal patdown - the screener was very gentle and considerate. The mother was directed to the magnetometer. She made the dog sit and stay, and walked thru, still holding the long leash. When the dog came thru, the metal on its collar and leash alarmed. The man in charged wanted them removed, and the mother refused, saying it was against the rules. After much discussion, he finally relented and allowed her to pass. All he had to do was run his hands over the collar and leash to see there was no threat.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 5:53 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Night Owl
While going thru security yesterday at SMF, I saw a woman in the next line with a handicapped child in a wheelchair and a service dog. The child was cleared with a minimal patdown - the screener was very gentle and considerate. The mother was directed to the magnetometer. She made the dog sit and stay, and walked thru, still holding the long leash. When the dog came thru, the metal on its collar and leash alarmed. The man in charged wanted them removed, and the mother refused, saying it was against the rules. After much discussion, he finally relented and allowed her to pass. All he had to do was run his hands over the collar and leash to see there was no threat.
It is a shame that the PAX knows the rules better than the TSO.

If your service dog alarms the walk through metal detector, the Security Officer will ask your permission and assistance before they touch you [sic] service dog and its belongings. The Security Officer will then perform a physical inspection of your dog and its belongings (collar, harness, leash, backpack, vest, etc.) The belongings will not be removed from your dog at any time.
From here.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 7:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
But not surprising.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 7:46 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by Caradoc
But not surprising.
Indeed. I suspect the DOG knows the rules better than the TS"O".
Old Jul 11, 2012, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Night Owl
Yup, that's what you get when you take away their wands.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 8:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Indeed. I suspect the DOG knows the rules better than the TS"O".
I don't suspect it at all.

Old Jul 12, 2012, 8:43 am

That's pretty terrible really, considering the prevalence of service dogs nowadays and the information about them that is widely available. But you still get the odd cafe and restaurant owner who doesn't know the rules and orders the dog to be left outside.

Guess no matter how much education you make available to people, you can't make them read it or understand it.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York

From here.
Please note, the website is out of date. Ya know, as of the minute the TSO started making up the rules.

Mike
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mikeef
Please note, the website is out of date. Ya know, as of the minute the TSO started making up the rules.
Don't forget - the new rules are SSI, so they can't show you documentation of them.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 6:37 am

The photo regarding service monkeys is too small, but I can't really tell if the monkey is cringing in fear at the sight of the TSA screener or if it's sticking out its tongue. It does seem to be clinging for dear life though.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 7:01 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by evanderm
The photo regarding service monkeys is too small, but I can't really tell if the monkey is cringing in fear at the sight of the TSA screener or if it's sticking out its tongue. It does seem to be clinging for dear life though.
It may be he/she remembers its last screening:

The inspection process may require that the handler to take off the monkey’s diaper as part of the visual inspection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.