FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   LAX: TSOs who accepted bribes from smugglers *NOT* facing criminal charges (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1363157-lax-tsos-who-accepted-bribes-smugglers-not-facing-criminal-charges.html)

RatherBeOnATrain Jul 4, 2012 8:33 am

LAX: TSOs who accepted bribes from smugglers *NOT* facing criminal charges

There is an interesting detail in this article:

Associated Press (posted on WashingtonPostdotCom):
Suspected drug couriers agree to plead guilty in TSA bribery scam at Los Angeles airport

Published: July 3, 2012

A short quote:

The two TSA employees named in court filings, Dianna Perez and Randy Littlefield, as well as [Mileage Peaks], do not face charges. Perez and Littlefield no longer work for the federal agency.

Between November 2010 and October 2011, Perez helped the drug couriers circumvent airport security nine times through various methods, including giving the smugglers instructions about how to pack marijuana so alarms on TSA’s explosive detection system wouldn’t be triggered.

Perez and Peaks were arrested in October following the discovery of two pieces of luggage carrying 15 bags of marijuana worth $38,000 on a Boston-bound flight from Los Angeles.

Caradoc Jul 4, 2012 8:37 am

So, telling a TSA employee not to touch your junk = $11,000 threatened fine.

A TSA employee accepting bribes to smuggle = perfectly acceptable.

Interesting. I guess some animals really are more equal than others.

T.J. Bender Jul 4, 2012 8:38 am

"TSA holds all of its employees to the highest professional and ethical standards and has zero tolerance for misconduct in the workplace."

FlyingUnderTheRadar Jul 4, 2012 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Caradoc (Post 18869125)
A TSA employee accepting bribes to smuggle = perfectly acceptable.

The screeners faced charges that were later dismissed without prejudice, which allows federal prosecutors the ability to refile charges. Thom Mrozek, a spokesman for the U.S. attorney’s office, said there was an ongoing investigation and couldn’t comment further.

Sounds like the DOJ is going to refile but with other charges.

Caradoc Jul 4, 2012 8:53 am

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar (Post 18869157)
Sounds like the DOJ is going to refile but with other charges.

Hopefully something with a bit more clout to it. With a capital punishment, for example.

FliesWay2Much Jul 4, 2012 9:53 am

On this Independence Day, I think it's only fitting to quote the Voice of Liberty, Nico Melendez:

TSA spokesman Nico Melendez said the agency takes these incidents seriously and takes appropriate disciplinary actions.

Darkumbra Jul 4, 2012 11:04 am

Let's see now. Government employees in charge of very the oh so important security of the nation - collude with individuals with unknown intent - to circumvent said security.

I wonder if there's a word that sums up the actions of someone who betrays their nation's security?

I wonder what the traditional punishment is for such a crime?

Anyone with any suggestions?

Caradoc Jul 4, 2012 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Darkumbra (Post 18869880)

Certainly. But last time I mentioned them here, someone started squeaking about how TSA employees supposedly deserved respect.

sbrower Jul 4, 2012 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Darkumbra (Post 18869880)
Let's see now. Government employees in charge of very the oh so important security of the nation - collude with individuals with unknown intent - to circumvent said security.

My guess - it sounds to me as being very likely that the former TSA clerks are now cooperating witnesses in trying to find the smugglers, in exchange for an agreement not to prosecute.

sbagdon Jul 5, 2012 7:37 am

Originally Posted by sbrower (Post 18871304)
My guess - it sounds to me as being very likely that the former TSA clerks are now cooperating witnesses in trying to find the smugglers, in exchange for an agreement not to prosecute.

Yup, appears that this is going up the food chain. Preferably, someone is thinking strategically, and the dropping of these specific charges will produce greater long-term rewards. Just might take a year or two, to measure the success (or lack of).

Superguy Jul 5, 2012 9:50 am

Sounds like these 2 are this year's Alvin Crabtree.

jkhuggins Jul 5, 2012 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Superguy (Post 18874709)
Sounds like these 2 are this year's Alvin Crabtree.

With all respect, I don't think that's a fair comparison.

1. According to the article, these two aren't employed by TSA anymore. Crabtree continued to be employed by TSA. It seems clear that these two are being disciplined, while Crabtree's discipline is far less clear.

2. Nowhere was there any implication that Crabtree's incident involved anything more than his own negligence. These two are clearly involved in something larger.

Superguy Jul 5, 2012 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by jkhuggins (Post 18875971)

1. According to the article, these two aren't employed by TSA anymore. Crabtree continued to be employed by TSA. It seems clear that these two are being disciplined, while Crabtree's discipline is far less clear.

2. Nowhere was there any implication that Crabtree's incident involved anything more than his own negligence. These two are clearly involved in something larger.

[/quote]

I don't think it's all that clear that this is the reason they're not working for TSA anymore.

The bottom line is this: if any of these individuals had been a "regular" citizen and not working for TSA, they would be facing criminal chargers right now.

jkhuggins Jul 5, 2012 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Superguy (Post 18876080)
I don't think it's all that clear that this is the reason they're not working for TSA anymore.

Given TSA's extreme reluctance to say simple things like "we fired their @$$es", I understand your point-of-view ... but this is the usual non-statement we get from TSA when they fire someone for cause.

Originally Posted by Superguy (Post 18876080)
The bottom line is this: if any of these individuals had been a "regular" citizen and not working for TSA, they would be facing criminal chargers right now.

I'm not so sure. Giving the small-fry a break in order to catch the big criminals further up the food chain is not an unusual procedure, no matter who the small-fry's employer is.

But, as in all things, your mileage may vary, and I can respect someone who draws different conclusions with the limited information available to us.

FliesWay2Much Jul 6, 2012 8:51 am

Originally Posted by jkhuggins (Post 18875971)

Alvin is iconic and deserves his own special place in TSA history:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.gadling.c...gunguybang.jpg

RatherBeOnATrain Sep 12, 2012 9:45 pm

TSA Screener Randy Littlefield Pleads Guilty To Accepting Bribes

The link:

CBS-Los Angeles:
Former TSA Agent Pleads Guilty To Accepting Bribes In Pot Smuggling Scheme
September 12, 2012 5:28 PM

And a short quote:
Randy Littlefield, 29, pleaded to a federal conspiracy charge for his part in the plot, which involved another Transportation Security Administration agent. Both TSA agents, and the three pot couriers involved have pleaded guilty in connection with the crime.

In court papers, the Paramount resident acknowledged accepting $200, on two occasions, from fellow TSA agent Dianna Perez when she needed help clearing luggage filled with marijuana through LAX security.

sbagdon Sep 13, 2012 8:23 am

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain (Post 19305527)
The link:

CBS-Los Angeles:
Former TSA Agent Pleads Guilty To Accepting Bribes In Pot Smuggling Scheme
September 12, 2012 5:28 PM

And a short quote:
Randy Littlefield, 29, pleaded to a federal conspiracy charge for his part in the plot, which involved another Transportation Security Administration agent. Both TSA agents, and the three pot couriers involved have pleaded guilty in connection with the crime.

In court papers, the Paramount resident acknowledged accepting $200, on two occasions, from fellow TSA agent Dianna Perez when she needed help clearing luggage filled with marijuana through LAX security.

Doing federal time, for a few $200 bribes. Speechless.

RatherBeOnATrain Jan 15, 2013 6:33 pm

LAist: TSA Officer Millage Peaks IV sentenced to 1 yr in federal prison & fined $6000

TSA Officer Millage Peaks IV was sentenced today to one year in federal prison and ordered to pay a $6,000 fine and serve three years of supervised probation following his jail time, according to this article by Lauren Lloyd:

LAIST.com:
Son Of Retired Fire Chief, Ex-TSA Agent Sentenced In LAX Pot Smuggling Ring
January 14, 2013 2:30 PM

A short quote, that updates us on the status of one of his partners-in-crime and also explains why he only received 1-year of prison time:
[TSA Officer Dianna Perez], who pleaded guilty to conspiracy but has yet to be sentenced, allegedly instructed Peaks on properly packaging his pot to circumvent security measures at the airport, including bomb-sniffing dogs. Her sentencing date has not been set.

Peaks was sentenced today to one year in federal prison and ordered to pay a $6,000 fine and serve three years of supervised probation following his jail time. Prosecutors previously recommended a nearly two-year sentence, but the one-year term was given in consideration of Peaks' grandmother.

chollie Jan 15, 2013 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain (Post 20054856)
TSA Officer Millage Peaks IV was sentenced today to one year in federal prison and ordered to pay a $6,000 fine and serve three years of supervised probation following his jail time, according to this article by Lauren Lloyd:

LAIST.com:
Son Of Retired Fire Chief, Ex-TSA Agent Sentenced In LAX Pot Smuggling Ring
January 14, 2013 2:30 PM

A short quote, that updates us on the status of one of his partners-in-crime and also explains why he only received 1-year of prison time:
[TSA Officer Dianna Perez], who pleaded guilty to conspiracy but has yet to be sentenced, allegedly instructed Peaks on properly packaging his pot to circumvent security measures at the airport, including bomb-sniffing dogs. Her sentencing date has not been set.

Peaks was sentenced today to one year in federal prison and ordered to pay a $6,000 fine and serve three years of supervised probation following his jail time. Prosecutors previously recommended a nearly two-year sentence, but the one-year term was given in consideration of Peaks' grandmother.

:td::td::td:

So the mastermind of the entire conspiracy gets 1-year (how much time off for 'good behavior' and a $6000 fine - except the deals netted $70K fine. He says he did it to get money to pay his mother's mortgage (where is Dad, BTW? and he got a light prison sentence because he has to take care of his grandmother (uh...Mom can't handle that?)

:td::td::td:

RadioGirl Jan 15, 2013 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain (Post 20054856)
TSA Officer Millage Peaks IV was sentenced today...

If I initially read that as "Mileage Perks", does it mean I travel too much? :D