Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Our Family is a walking pharmacy.. Any problems?

Old Jun 17, 2012, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

My husband just got out of the hospital yesterday morning with the diagnosis of pneumonia. We're set to fly out Thursday morning from Charlotte- but in the meantime, he's on Amoxicillin for 10 days. The prescription they gave him required it to be in a pretty good size bottle.

My daughter has breathing issues and has an inhaler.

My 21 month old son has febrile seizures and has medication for it that's a gel suppository.

Are we the TSA's worst nightmare? Will any of this be a problem? These are all prescription medications with the names and purpose right on it..
Old Jun 17, 2012, 3:46 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, those shouldn't be a problem. Pills are not relevant to the TSA and medical liquids are permitted. Even though non-prescription medical liquids are allowed, what you have is prescription, so you wont even have to argue about it.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by MrsMountaineer
My husband just got out of the hospital yesterday morning with the diagnosis of pneumonia. We're set to fly out Thursday morning from Charlotte- but in the meantime, he's on Amoxicillin for 10 days. The prescription they gave him required it to be in a pretty good size bottle.

My daughter has breathing issues and has an inhaler.

My 21 month old son has febrile seizures and has medication for it that's a gel suppository.

Are we the TSA's worst nightmare? Will any of this be a problem? These are all prescription medications with the names and purpose right on it..
No. You're not. Pills tend not to attract attention. Gels and inhaler may. In the extremely unlikely event that you are asked about either, have a copy of the prescription handy. Chances of even being asked to produce the scrips are close to nil. Don't sweat it.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 4:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MrsMountaineer
Will any of this be a problem? These are all prescription medications with the names and purpose right on it..
It's potentially a problem, if you run into one of the many TSA employees who think they're a doctor.

Having the names and purposes of the medications written on the bottles won't help, since the TSA's dull-witted lackeys will assume that you've repackaged them.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pills are only an issue if they're something with street value--something a dirty screener might like to steal.

Have you asked your doctor if it will be ok to fly, though?
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:29 pm

Programs: Ham Sandwich Medallion
You're probably fine. There are TSOs out there who think they're doctors, and they're very easy to deal with by demanding a three-striper and a LEO the second they start to really pry into what you're carrying.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 7:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
As long as it's not a narcotic, you're probably fine. In case anyone was wondering, leaving a bottle of Vicodin in your checked luggage is a bad idea. An even worse idea is for the TSA to leave you a love note after stealing it.

Honestly, the pills won't be an issue, and if the gel is in a small container, they probably won't even notice it.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 8:27 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by lovely15

Honestly, the pills won't be an issue, and if the gel is in a small container, they probably won't even notice it.
Agreed. IMO CLT is one of the better airports for TSA.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:34 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I carry three prescriptions, OTC medications, and supplements. They are mixed in one great big old bottle that is not the bottle that any of them came in. There is a note in the bottle that says simply "Green-odd/white-even" to remind me which day my alternate day prescriptions are taken.

Never been a problem for domestic travel.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 1:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not Helpful

This is a legit ask by an inexperienced traveler. There are some on FT with a political agenda regarding TSA and that's certainly fine in a discussion regarding TSA.

OP - Not to worry, nothing is gonna happen. You will be fine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.