Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Visa applications that ask for religious affiliation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Visa applications that ask for religious affiliation

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:57 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MrHalliday
OK, now I am curious. What other countries ask this?

Saudi Arabia
India
Many (most?) Middle Eastern countries ask. I know Egypt and Yemen do. Historically, I have simply lied and put Christian. I can't imagine a single good reason for them to want to know, but I can imagine a number of pretty compelling reasons for me to not tell them.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by as219
Many (most?) Middle Eastern countries ask. I know Egypt and Yemen do. Historically, I have simply lied and put Christian. I can't imagine a single good reason for them to want to know, but I can imagine a number of pretty compelling reasons for me to not tell them.
Egypt? You put the 20 euro note on the desk at CAI, receive a sticker, that's your visa. No questions asked.
Jordan is the same.
Oman
detto (but it's a 50 euro note)
For Iran one actually must fill in an application at IKA, but it doesn't ask religious affiliation.
Syrians ask if you ever visited "occupied Palestine" but our perception of what is occupied Palestine is rather different so it easy to answer truthfully

I don't know about Lebanon, but would be very much surprised if they asked any questions at all. Yemen, Iraq - no experience
Old Jun 12, 2012, 2:40 am

The UAE asks, for work visas at least.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 5:24 am

What about Indonesia? Do they ask?

Apart from the inadvisability of being Jewish in Saudi Arabia, what other 'problem' religions are there in which countries? I have zero desire to visit Saudi Arabia, less than zero, much less, but who else asks and which religions are problematic?

What's the deal with India?
Old Jun 16, 2012, 6:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
For tourist visas, Indonesia does not generally ask for such on its visa forms IIRC.
Originally Posted by littlesheep

What's the deal with India?
US Thanksgiving long-weekend attacks around Bombay, and then Indian government taking advice from out-of-control US DHS/DHS-supporting types that make illogical jumps in trying to supposedly prevent criminal activity that has already taken place.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 16, 2012 at 6:11 pm
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
What about Indonesia? Do they ask?
In Indonesia, for most countries, it's a visa on arrival. You put your bank notes down at the cashier's desk (I think it was 25 USD) and that's it. No form.

I think the best was Oman or it might have been Qatar, where the immigration officer has a credit card terminal. Very efficient as it's one-step processing.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by catandmouse
In Indonesia, for most countries, it's a visa on arrival. You put your bank notes down at the cashier's desk (I think it was 25 USD) and that's it. No form.

I think the best was Oman or it might have been Qatar, where the immigration officer has a credit card terminal. Very efficient as it's one-step processing.
Wouldn't it be nice if the US would do this? But I guess Hell will freeze over before they ever get sensible
Old Jun 19, 2012, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by catandmouse
Though if you're Israeli you're denied entry, so they must ask to see your passport, and 25$ ain't gonna fix it. Since about half of all Jews live in Israel, it's kinda like Jewish = no entry.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 1:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
Though if you're Israeli you're denied entry, so they must ask to see your passport, and 25$ ain't gonna fix it. Since about half of all Jews live in Israel, it's kinda like Jewish = no entry.
I doubt Israel is included in the list of countries where you can get a visa on arrival.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Israel is included on a list of countries that grant visa on arrival to some countries' citizens.
Not even close. Keep in mind that Israeli passport holders include many Muslims, Christians, atheists and others beside the majority of such passport holders who are Jewish.

Just saw that NA got cleared on applications for India and Saudi Arabia.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Not even close.
Not sure what you mean. Fifty percent of all Jews world wide live in Israel. They're denied entry to indonesia.

Last edited by essxjay; Jul 4, 2015 at 12:48 pm Reason: garbled quote tag fixed
Old Jun 21, 2012, 6:05 am

How do you deal with applications for visas to countries where the application includes a requirement to fill the field for "religion"? [In many such cases, even stating "other" involves a demand for further specification; and the idea of "not going" isn't really a practical solution for all such situations.]

When it comes to countries with an official state religion, their asking for religious disposition (inclusive of agnosticism or atheism) to be disclosed on a visa application is not as much of a surprise as when religious identity is demanded by governments of countries without a state religion. Requiring such disclosure seems to run counter to the principal of personal religious disposition (including agnosticism or atheism) being a personal matter rather than a matter to be discussed with government employees, more so in countries that claim to be secular and/or without an official state religion.

As a practical matter, such identification also can open a door to possible problems when: (a) families may include persons of different religious dispositions; and/or (b) applications are being made on behalf of children, family members or otherwise; and/or (c) religious affiliation disclosure may result in religious-based railroading/sidelining when it comes to family reunification, child custody, inheritance/estate planning/probate, death and/or health matters (in the host country but perhaps also in the home country).
Druid, Reformed.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cynicAAl
under "religion", I write "yes". Never been questioned on it.
I take it you have never applied for a Visa to India in this case.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 8:08 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Not even close.
Not sure what you mean. Fifty percent of all Jews world wide live in Israel. They're denied entry to indonesia.
The majority of persons of Jewish faith can either enter Indonesia with a visa on arrival or by acquiring a visa in advance. That includes Israelis whose religion is Judaism and have dual-/multiple citizenship status.

50% of one religious group holding Israeli citizenship does not equal anywhere close to 100% of the same religious group not being able to travel to Indonesia. Israeli Jews also go to Indonesia -- some even live there -- as long as in possession of at least some non-Israeli travel document acceptable to Indonesian authorities.

Indonesia is not anywhere close to being Saudi Arabia, the latter of which has a history of often -- but not always -- knee-jerk rejecting those visa applicants who presented religious affiliation with Judaism.

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I take it you have never applied for a Visa to India in this case.
It is possible to type/write "yes" in that field. Select other followed by entering "yes". Also for many years, India had no such field as a requirement for completion -- some with 10 year visas or OCI or PIO status have never completed an entry for religion with anything and/or anything other than "yes".

Last edited by essxjay; Jul 4, 2015 at 12:49 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I always left it blank, and had plenty of visas. Kuwait, UAE, Bahrain, Qatar, Oman, Saudi Arabia (the old single entry, expensive ones in use in the late 90s). Lebanon, Jordan, so on and so forth.

I never bothered to look and see if anyone at any of the embassies ever wrote anything in.

Turkish arrivals visas, I swear I paid a different amount every time I went.

On a related matter, whenever I enter Brasil, under "sexo" on the immigration form, I always write "sim". At close to 50 entries, I've never had anyone say a thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.