Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA now claims checkpoint photography is prohibited

Old Jun 5, 12, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

http://www.pixiq.com/article/tsa-con...-of-checkpoint

See the sign posted at MCO.

Private Screening Advisory
For security reasons, some screening procedures conducted in this area cannot be videotaped or photographed. Please cease any recording or photography if directed by a TSA officer.

You have the option to have somebody accompany you during private screening.
Old Jun 5, 12, 9:40 pm
Suspended

Is anyone surprised?

If I were so hard up that I was forced to accept a job touching other people's junk for a paycheck, and pretended that what I was doing was vital to national security just so I could sleep at night, I wouldn't want my face plastered all over Youtube either.
Old Jun 5, 12, 9:49 pm

It has never been allowed to begin with. This is not news.
Old Jun 5, 12, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spades097 View Post
Wrong. It has always been allowed.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav..._pictures.shtm

Of course that does not mean that many passengers have been hassled.
Old Jun 5, 12, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by saulblum View Post

My apologies. I clearly stand corrected. I just seem to remember seeing similar signs at various locations.
Old Jun 5, 12, 10:43 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
The sign quoted in the OP seems to refer specifically to the Private Screening. I do not remember anyone saying that the private screening could be photographed.

Then again, if it is truly a private screening, how could it be photographed, except by the witness?
Old Jun 5, 12, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails View Post
The sign quoted in the OP seems to refer specifically to the Private Screening. I do not remember anyone saying that the private screening could be photographed.

Then again, if it is truly a private screening, how could it be photographed, except by the witness?
I have no doubts that the sign is intentionally vague, to deter all but the most vociferous passengers from trying to film the checkpoint, so-called private area or not.
Old Jun 5, 12, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by spades097 View Post
Originally Posted by saulblum View Post

Saul, you fell into the exact trap the TSA set. spades is correct, recordings in private screenings, which are the specific scenarios/locations the sign refers to, have always been prohibited.
Old Jun 5, 12, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tkey75 View Post
Saul, you fell into the exact trap the TSA set. spades is correct, recordings in private screenings, which are the specific scenarios/locations the sign refers to, have always been prohibited.
Then why is the sign posted in the public area?

Even if that is the intention of the sign's wordings -- though as InkUnderNails pointed out, if the private screening is truly private, then other passengers will not be able to see it anyway -- I have no problem envisioning a TSO moving the sign from the private area to the public area to intimidate passengers into not recording.
Old Jun 6, 12, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
There is no such thing to prohibited the photographed & Vidotaped. There is no restrictions and it wasn't illegal.
Old Jun 6, 12, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I read it to say that you can't record the groping. Your option is to be groped privately.

Actually, the bigger issue is "...if directed by an officer." This means they can tell you to stop at any time, anywhere, for any (or no) reason.

Let's see if these start to pop up at other airports. If not, I would say that we have a rouge FSD on our hands who must be dealt with -- by us.
Old Jun 6, 12, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, BA Silver
I've often seen this policy outside of the US...I guess the TSA does not like poor judgement being recorded...
Old Jun 6, 12, 6:25 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rwoman View Post
I've often seen this policy outside of the US...I guess the TSA does not like poor judgement being recorded...
They do not mind the recording. It is the distribution of the recording that gets their goat. Well, that and us laughing at them, criticizing them and showing them to be what they are.
Old Jun 6, 12, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by rwoman View Post
That would probably mean no cameras ever, since poor judgement seems to be their standard of excellence.
Old Jun 6, 12, 8:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much View Post
Actually, the bigger issue is "...if directed by an officer." This means they can tell you to stop at any time, anywhere, for any (or no) reason.
1) First they're going to have to show me an officer.

2) Just because they say it doesn't mean it's true - especially when it comes to the duplicity of the TSA and all of its employees.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: