Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Piedmont pilot screened in Buffalo, found with loaded revolver

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2012, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL MM Gold

http://www.ndtv.com/article/world/po...luggage-213007
Old May 19, 2012, 6:23 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
This is another one where the aircraft was never in any danger - at least, no more than it would have been with an unarmed pilot at the controls - but I am glad that the pilot was caught.

I'm a gun owner myself, but guns are one thing that I believe actually belong on the prohibited items list.

I'm also of the opinion that flight crews and airport workers should all be required to go through the same screening as the flying public when they report for work in a secure area of an airport. If the current screening regimen is too much of a burden to impose it on airport workers and flight crews, then perhaps it's too much of a burden to impose on the flying public, as well.

But x-raying a pilot's bag when he arrives at the airport to go to work? Yeah, I can get behind that.
Old May 21, 2012, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Yes, unfortunately, he could lose his job. He will never work for the airline anymore. The gun is not allowed through at TSA checkpoint. The weapon is prohibited from TSA checkpoint. He made a big gravely mistaken. He will never do it again in the future. He willing accepted apology to TSA & the airline for what he done something wrong.
Old May 21, 2012, 6:20 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by N830MH
The gun is not allowed through at TSA checkpoint. The weapon is prohibited from TSA checkpoint. He made a big gravely mistaken.
Unless his name is Alvin Crabtree.
Old May 21, 2012, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Another EPIC FAIL for TSA -- Gun flew on at least seven other flights!

The Buffalo News's Harold McNeil did a much better job of reporting this story:

The Buffalo News:
Pilot accused in concealment of gun
Authorities investigating incident after agent noticed firearm in luggage

Updated: May 18, 2012, 10:16 PM

A short quote from the article; I've bolded the really interesting sentences:

They said Dieter did not submit his bag for an X-ray screening at the Charlottesville airport. In addition, authorities said, Dieter piloted seven other flights over the course of two days, all with the firearm in his bag.

and

The TSA is investigating all of Dieter's flights prior to Friday's incident to determine how he managed to avoid security checkpoints at the other airports from which he flew.

Pilots and other flight crew are prohibited from carrying weapons aboard aircraft, according to the TSA. The only exception is for pilots who are members of the Federal Flight Deck Officer Program, of which Dieter is not.
Old May 21, 2012, 7:25 pm

Wasted time here.

Last edited by littlesheep; May 24, 2012 at 2:04 pm
Old May 21, 2012, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by littlesheep
Question is, why did he have this gun?

Most likely bet, if he was indeed carrying it around loaded on purpose, was to commit suicide.

In second place intent, and far less likely, would be to commit murder of someone he knew.

But terrorism? I don't think so.

So the fact that he carried it on a plane is moot.
The unanswered question: was he, in fact, carrying it around loaded on purpose? We've heard plenty of stories of ordinary passengers forgetting that their firearm was in their bags when they arrive at a checkpoint. I think that's probably more likely than any intent to do harm (whether to himself or others).

Of course, even if that's true, that's no excuse. Being a responsible owner of a firearms certainly means, at a minimum, knowing where it is at all times ... and certainly not carrying it around loaded.
Old May 21, 2012, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
CBS-19: Former Co-Worker Defends Local Pilot Charged with Bringing Gun on Plane

Question is, why did he have this gun?
Other pilots are saying he was on vacation immediately before operating the flight:

Newsplex (Charlottesville CBS 19, ABC 16, and FOX 27):
Former Co-Worker Defends Local Pilot Charged with Bringing Gun on Plane

Updated: 11:34 AM May 20, 2012

A short quote from the article:
Some of the Barboursville pilot's former co-workers say the incident was an accident. "In this case, my understanding is that he was on vacation directly prior to having to operate this flight and over looked the fact that he had his gun in his bag," said Tom Donohue, who used to work with Dieter.
The article also includes a TSA statement in which TSA admits that their only consistency is INconsistency:
A Transportation Security Administration official released this statement saying: "Pilot access points to the sterile side of an airport vary, depending on the airport. Pilots are able to reach their aircraft through access points other than the checkpoints in many airports."
Old May 21, 2012, 7:59 pm

Wasted time again here.

Last edited by littlesheep; May 24, 2012 at 2:04 pm
Old May 21, 2012, 8:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Did he have a carry permit that was valid for all states he visited?

Is Piedmont still flying? I thought that airline went away (to USAir?) long ago.
Old May 21, 2012, 8:10 pm

They're a US Airways Express regional
Old May 22, 2012, 8:04 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by WillCAD
This is another one where the aircraft was never in any danger -
Every time I hear a story like this about an on-duty pilot, you know - the guy who could fly the plane full of people into a petroleum farm or building - I am reminded of the scene in Blazing Saddles where the new sheriff holds his gun to his own head in front of the crowd......

Concur that pilots & crew should be screened. Concur that there's a slight risk that the pilot's bag could go missing or be stolen. Concur that the crew member could go "nuts" & use the firearm. But looking at the bigger picture, the pilot is also flying a couple hundred thousand pounds of potential weapon, which can cause far more destruction than a 9 mm handgun.
Old May 22, 2012, 10:26 am

Wasted more time.

Last edited by littlesheep; May 24, 2012 at 2:05 pm
Old May 22, 2012, 12:37 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Absolutely. Then the options we have are:

1) Unintentionally carried around gun. Should be charged with negligence or whatever the term is.

2) Was waiting for the right moment to kill himself.

3) Was working up the nerve to kill someone else. And was working on getting to wherever that person was.

None of this relates in any way to terrorism. And as for the plane, I assume firing it while flying would be not good...but so would firing it while driving, riding on the subway or shopping for groceries.
As a long-time responsible gun owner, I feel compelled to point out a huge, gaping falacy in your argument.

"Murder" and "suicide" are most definitely NOT the only two purposes for which a person owns or carries a gun. Implying such is either disingenuous naiive.

If you will read what I posted above, you will understand that I am not defending this pilot's actions. Guns are prohibited from the cabin, except for those with proper authorization such as FAMs, etc., and I fully support that prohibition. But assuming that the only two reasons this pilot could have been carrying a gun were murder or suicide is... well, it's incorrect.

I posit a fourth possibility:

4) Had been carrying a gun for some legal and legitimate purpose (the article does not mention whether he is licensed to carry a concealed weapon), but for some reason - stupidity, negligence, or laziness - failed to transfer it to a checked bag per the regs regarding transport of firearms by air.

Again: I am not defending his actions in bringing hig gun aboard in a carry-on! But that action does not automatically mean that he had any neffarious intent, other than to get his gun from point A to point B without checking it.
Old May 22, 2012, 1:05 pm

Same.

Last edited by littlesheep; May 24, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.