Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA to His Mother-in-Law: 'There's an Anomaly in the Crotch Area'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA to His Mother-in-Law: 'There's an Anomaly in the Crotch Area'

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2012, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Angry TSA to His Mother-in-Law: 'There's an Anomaly in the Crotch Area'

She entered the machine and struck the humiliating pose one is forced to strike -- hands up, as in an armed robbery -- and then walked out, when she was asked by a TSA agent, in a voice loud enough for several people to hear, "Are you wearing a sanitary napkin?"

Remember, she's 79.

My mother-in-law answered, "No. Why do you ask?"

The TSA agent responded: "Well, are you wearing anything else down there?"

Yes, "down there."
The son-in-law just happens to have a platform as "a national correspondent for The Atlantic and a recipient of the National Magazine Award for Reporting."

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/...ors_picks=true

As I wrote in an earlier thread with a similar topic, I keep hoping - maybe in vain as others argue convincingly - for tipping points and critical mass to kick in.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I am in full support of 2 of the 3 main points of this article.
1. That it's all Security Theater and that "The terrorists" have won.
2. That the TSA sale associate should have spoken to the MIL in a quieter tone and not broadcast it so that others could hear.

But when it comes to the terminology/phrases used...I think they did an ok job. I wouldn't want to hear MIL and crotch area either but the terms are direct and not offensive in my opinion.

But still Death to the TSA.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by armattheus
I am in full support of 2 of the 3 main points of this article.
1. That it's all Security Theater and that "The terrorists" have won.
2. That the TSA sale associate should have spoken to the MIL in a quieter tone and not broadcast it so that others could hear.

But when it comes to the terminology/phrases used...I think they did an ok job. I wouldn't want to hear MIL and crotch area either but the terms are direct and not offensive in my opinion.

But still Death to the TSA.
I disagree completely. If TSA clerks have to ask someone from the general public if they are wearing a sanitary pad, they have clearly gone too far. No one should have such things (1) revealed when guilty of nothing besides buying a airline ticket and (2) be questioned about it. Those indeed are questions commonly asked of visitors to prisons. They should not be questions for someone boarding an airplane.

Clearly, use of the the AIT causes more problems than it solves. It does not work, it can be easily evaded, as John Corbett showed, and it results in unjustified searches of persons contrary to any normal reading of the 4th Amendment.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 5:41 pm

Imaging technology is the wrong methodological approach to find weapons and explosives. It detects images on body surfaces. It cannot differentiate between a sanitary napkin and an underwear bomb. It was doombed before it started to cause more harm than good.

And explosives can get through undetected - inside cavities, under fake skin or pancakes...
Old Apr 28, 2012, 6:13 pm

I am surprised and disappointed Jeffrey Goldberg lets his family members simply use the machines in the first place and hasn't taught them the simple phrase "I opt out."
Old Apr 28, 2012, 6:55 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
Imaging technology is the wrong methodological approach to find weapons and explosives. It detects images on body surfaces. It cannot differentiate between a sanitary napkin and an underwear bomb. It was doombed before it started to cause more harm than good.

And explosives can get through undetected - inside cavities, under fake skin or pancakes...
Well said ^
Old Apr 28, 2012, 7:32 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Further, if you cannot tell the difference between a wet sanitary napkin and a bomb, how does it make sense to take the "potential terrorist's" word for it?
Old Apr 28, 2012, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by janetdoe
Further, if you cannot tell the difference between a wet sanitary napkin and a bomb, how does it make sense to take the "potential terrorist's" word for it?
^^^^^^^

Exactly. If they take the person's word for it, it is a charade. If they let it pass it is a charade. If they demand definitive proof from the person, they stir up a PR fire storm. Ain't it a beech about them high false positive rates?

Just sh*tcan the AIT and rethink what you're doing.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 7:11 am

Location: ZRH - Zurich Switzerland. I like my local Airport. Wake-up at 0500uhr. Airside and through Security 80 minutes later after Shower, Breakfast and 10km Train ride. That is good!
Programs: Miles and More FQTV - 80% LX Swiss, 20% LH Lufthansa segments
Originally Posted by nachtnebel
.... If TSA clerks have to ask someone from the general public if they are wearing a sanitary pad, they have clearly gone too far. No one should have such things (1) revealed when guilty of nothing besides buying a airline ticket and (2) be questioned about it. Those indeed are questions commonly asked of visitors to prisons. They should not be questions for someone boarding an airplane.

This story reached Europe!
I am really shocked.

My mother is nearly 79 and I would be ashamed of my country if she was being asked "are you wearing a Sanitary Pad?" by our Airport Security here.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by MAN-MAN
I am really shocked.

My mother is nearly 79 and I would be ashamed of my country if she was being asked "are you wearing a Sanitary Pad?" by our Airport Security here.
Indeed it has, e.g. here.

Having traversed your very civilized and even friendly ZRH security more than once, I can understand your dismay.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 7:58 am

I am really shocked.

To add some levity to the situation, why am I reminded of this Golden Girls episode?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kOewRGhtx8
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:37 am

I am really shocked.

That's because the Swiss have common sense and keep their government responsive to them (democracy). The US is run by insane criminals.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 7:58 pm

I would answer the TSA "yes there is something in my crotch " Your hands and your eyes". I normally dont have that.
Old May 1, 2012, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Glad to see this made it to the boing boing RSS feed. Every additional story of this nature is another nail in the TSA's coffin. The iron curtain did not fall in a day.

That being said the TSA morons continue to disgust me with their antics. Sad that the famous exchange with Senator McCarthy continues to resonate: "Have you no sense of decency sir, at long last?"

Last edited by Boraxo; May 1, 2012 at 1:15 pm Reason: fix quote
Old May 1, 2012, 2:06 pm

Once of these days there will be an angry wife,husband, child,son, daugther and so on to an TSA worked.

One person who will not accept this.

I am just waiting!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.