Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Kip Hawley: Bring as Many as Five Knives Onboard

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2012, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Former TSA chief Kip Hawley has experienced an epiphany. He's now a friend of the flying public. Who would have thought it?

"Blades, sharp objects, tools, all those things should be removed from the prohibited items list," Hawley told ABC News. "Carry a big knife, carry five knives. What are you going to do with a knife or five knives? You are not going to take over the plane. ... The focus should be explosives and toxins -- things that can kill a lot of people very fast before security measures can stop someone from making that attack."
http://abcnews.go.com/US/tsa-head-st...6#.T5c6xKtrP3Q
Old Apr 24, 2012, 6:16 pm

He is priming the pump.
Just in case there is a call for a new leadership and a different approach to TSA or even a new head of DHS, he is ready to take the helm....
Old Apr 24, 2012, 7:00 pm

Hawley never will get it. He's still got the tunnel vision on object oriented screening instead of intelligence.

It was intelligence that stopped the liquid bomb plot, yet his response was ban liquids.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 8:48 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
It was intelligence that stopped the liquid bomb plot, yet his response was ban liquids.
No, that was Chertoff.

Anyway this is already being dicussed:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...-head-tsa.html
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Not another Kip Hawley is an idiots yet again!! He should know better! He can't allowed to bring the knives into the aircraft. Because it will get very extremely dangerous. No one ever bring the knives past at security checkpoint. No one!
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
No, that was Chertoff.

Anyway this is already being dicussed:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...-head-tsa.html
Then how did the term "Kippie Bag" come about? Wasn't Chertoff later?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 8:24 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Pesky Monkey
Then how did the term "Kippie Bag" come about? Wasn't Chertoff later?
Chertoff was appointed Secretary of DHS in February 2005, Hawley become TSA head in July 2005.

The liquid bomb[sic] plot was disrupted in August 2006 and the ludicrous 3-1-1 and Kippie bags followed. Chertoff has claimed the policy decision was his and Hawley is now saying he was opposed at the time and since.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Chertoff was appointed Secretary of DHS in February 2005, Hawley become TSA head in July 2005.

The liquid bomb[sic] plot was disrupted in August 2006 and the ludicrous 3-1-1 and Kippie bags followed. Chertoff has claimed the policy decision was his and Hawley is now saying he was opposed at the time and since.
I see. I'll have to rename mine a "Chertoff Sack".
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:51 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
I'd love to come up with a derrogatory nickname for them, but since I don't use the durn things, I'll leave that up to those who do.

Luck of the draw, I guess; the only liquids I have ever taken through security, even before the 3.4-1-1 rule, were my 1-ounce nasal spray, and bottled drinks, which I now buy inside the sterile area (because we all know that a $5 sterile Coke tastes way better and keeps us safer in the air than a $1.50 7-11 Coke).

The nasal spray? I always pack it in my carry-on and forget it's there. It's never been questioned; somehow I don't think it's ever even been seen on the x-ray.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 11:27 am

We will have to check your Chertoff sack.....

Sounds like something that requires groping.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by IslandBased
We will have to check your Chertoff sack.....

Sounds like something that requires groping.
I guess I'll just put it in my pants

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.