Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Again: 4-Year-Old Gets TSA Pat-Down Following Hug From Grandma

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2012, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

OK, this might not be the most reliable source, but nothing shocking here either. Another apparently brain dead TSO treating a small child like a terrorist. I'm truly beginning to think that this agency intentionally hires psychopaths.

4-Year-Old Gets TSA Pat-Down Following Hug From Grandma
http://consumerist.com/2012/04/4-yea...m-grandma.html
Old Apr 23, 2012, 1:56 pm

Disgusting. I wouldn't be surprised if the child is now permanently traumatized for traveling through airports thanks to this incident.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by El Cochinito
Disgusting. I wouldn't be surprised if the child is now permanently traumatized for traveling through airports thanks to this incident.
Very possible.

Asw a 4 year old , now I am 58, I was really scared of needels.
So evey time I went to the doctors office, the nurse had to drag me out of my moms car. I was screaming and kicking.And of cause crying.

To this day I still hate needles. I dont really go to doctors. But I did educated in alternative medicine.

I know what they did to me made me not liking this
as an an adult.

Scarry.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 4:19 pm

personally, I'd just have the mother and kid exit and enter the wtmd, a few sec vs a pat-down... but I've also been doing this longer than most.... (so I don't really care about the supervisor yelling at me for trying to avoid children related incidents)
Old Apr 23, 2012, 4:22 pm

Programs: *wood Gold
Hopefully the mother finds a good attorney who can figure out a way to personally sue the agents involved in this, along with TSA. Someone needs to pay for this stupidity.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 4:25 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
I'm not going to jump the the conclusion that the woman's story is 100% accurate and start castigating the TSA for it.

Nor will I automatically assume that she's making the whole thing up and castigate her for it.

As with all things, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

But I'll say this - I see two potential courses for this story: 1) The woman is being mostly truthful, in which case TSA will never release the c/p videos because it will show their people violating their own procedures by not allowing a 4-year old to be scanned instead of invasively patted down, or 2) the woman is not being truthful, in which case the video will be released quickly and will show that she's not being truthful.

If there is no video released within a week, THEN I'll start assuming that the woman's story is 100% truthful and castigate TSA for it.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WillCAD
I'm not going to jump the the conclusion that the woman's story is 100% accurate and start castigating the TSA for it.

Nor will I automatically assume that she's making the whole thing up and castigate her for it.

As with all things, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

But I'll say this - I see two potential courses for this story: 1) The woman is being mostly truthful, in which case TSA will never release the c/p videos because it will show their people violating their own procedures by not allowing a 4-year old to be scanned instead of invasively patted down, or 2) the woman is not being truthful, in which case the video will be released quickly and will show that she's not being truthful.

If there is no video released within a week, THEN I'll start assuming that the woman's story is 100% truthful and castigate TSA for it.
I wouldn't hold your breath waiting the video if the TSA has already released its standard statement. They did an investigation and have cleared themselves. Berating and chastising four year old's is standard policy and that policy was followed to a T. I'm sure Blogger Bob will release an update stating that numerous dangerous weapons such as nail clippers and toy hammers have been confiscated from equally dangerous children and that you can never be too safe.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 5:09 pm

This story has enraged me more than any other story of TSA abuses.

I really don't know what to say about this. Really don't.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 6:20 pm

Which airport was this? I think the article said "Kansas" without specifying.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 8:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by VelvetJones
Berating and chastising four year old's is standard policy and that policy was followed to a T.
You left out "touching children inappropriately as a punitive measure for not showing proper obeisance to TSA employees."
Old Apr 23, 2012, 9:39 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
The TSA will never admit they handled the situation improperly, especially since so many of them were involved, and they all acted the same. That woman should request the video immediately, before it's destroyed.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Mikey likes it
Which airport was this? I think the article said "Kansas" without specifying.
It was Wichita. Home of the completely insane.

The Daily Mail has a great write-up:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1sxAVHmrN
Old Apr 24, 2012, 8:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Georgia Peach
The TSA will never admit they handled the situation improperly, especially since so many of them were involved, and they all acted the same. That woman should request the video immediately, before it's destroyed.
It's so cute that you think the video will even be sharp enough to identify the workers. The TSA never releases video showing their employees misbehaving. It's either too blurry to identify or the damning section of video is just missing or too sensitive for release.

Now that the War on Terror is over, can we get the Federal Government of the United States of America to end their War Against Citizens' Rights?
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:08 am

Every time I've gone through ICT they've always been courteous and professional. This is not courteous and professional. It is senseless, unnecessary, and ridiculous. I find it amazing that a grown man hiring a prostitute in a country where it is legal is huge news, but treating a 4 year old innocent child like the Unabomber or Tim McVeigh is no big deal.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by BearX220
It was Wichita. Home of the completely insane.

The Daily Mail has a great write-up:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1sxAVHmrN
'When my scared child could not do so, two TSOs called for backup saying, "The suspect is not cooperating."
A chilling insight into the TSA workers' mindset, as if we needed one.
When a manager was called, he decided that the distraught Isabella could be checked alongside her mother, and let the family pass through security at last.
So the manager acted "improperly" then if we are to believe the TSA mouthpiece ?

Fox has picked it up too, probably because it affords the opportunity for gratuitous politicking.
http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes...terrorist.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.