Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA bus patrol coming to Houston

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:21 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by RoyalFlush
No, I have prior obligation I can't get out of. Plus, I believe the deadline to sign up to speak passed. It is too bad, I know the METRO CEO and several board members. Normally, my comments hold a good deal of weight due to my involvement in local politics and I became the face of our local Occupy Wall Street movement.
What local occupy movement? The five doofs on bikes blocking Allen Parkway at rush hour or the guy at Tranq Park/ City Hall in the tent that couldn't articulate anything when interviewed?

As for SJ-L. I have had the displeasure of dealing with her on a "professional" basis many times and the feckless and inane nature of all that she does is beyond compare. I have dealt with every congressmen in the Houston metro and she is by far the most media hungry shallow member.

This story is starting to get some local legs which is good. Thursday's meeting should keep it around. It was bad enough dealing with TSA posers trying to overstep during IKE. This is far worse.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
As for SJ-L. I have had the displeasure of dealing with her on a "professional" basis many times and the feckless and inane nature of all that she does is beyond compare. I have dealt with every congressmen in the Houston metro and she is by far the most media hungry shallow member.
Check out this hilarious excerpt from a new book about the House:

The tradition of the jar dated back to the mid-1990s, during Sheila Jackson Lee’s early days in the House. Its precise origins were forgotten, but it began with a congressional aide who brought a jar to work and put a quarter in it once Jackson Lee made a speech on the House floor that day. The jar would then rotate the following day to an adjacent desk. If Jackson Lee spoke, the staffer was obliged to drop a quarter in the jar and move it to another staffer’s desk. On the rare day that the Houston congresswoman did not speak, the staffer who had the jar that day was rewarded with all its contents. The Jackson Lee jar concept began to spread with multiple jars springing up in numerous offices on the Hill, both Republican and Democrat…

The jar-passing carried over into the next decade. In John Dingell’s office, a fanciful staffer ornamented their Jackson Lee jar with felt embroidery. In Tennessee Congressman Joe Knollenberg’s office at some point in 2006, the jar’s contents became so heavy and the aides so sick of lugging it from desk to desk that they finally broke down and used all the money to pay for lunch for the entire staff. Rumors, most likely apocryphal, began to spread of hundred-dollar payouts.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 3:24 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Check out this hilarious excerpt from a new book about the House:
Not surprised. This is the same woman that has showed up at RANDOM funerals and brought cameras so she could give speeches. She has also side stepped the law by greeting people in line at polling places on election day violating the distance rule. I voted in her district for a few years.

She goes through staffers quickly also.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 7:33 pm

Metro officials: no plan to do random bag checks

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...ks-3514008.php

Kudos to the various riders and lawyers who pushed back.

"It's not done. It's not our policy. It's not going to be done," Greanias said. "There was an error in the press release. It does not reflect any request made to the TSA. It doesn't reflect anything that actually happened on the ground. This is a misunderstanding we caused."
We're not that naďve. Bag searches most definitely were in the works, and you only relented after significant pushback.

Earl Musick, current president of the criminal lawyers group, presented the board with a copy of the Constitution, to loud applause from much of the crowd.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by saulblum
Metro officials: no plan to do random bag checks

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...ks-3514008.php

Kudos to the various riders and lawyers who pushed back.

We're not that naďve. Bag searches most definitely were in the works, and you only relented after significant pushback.

^^^^

I enjoyed this excellent point made by Robert Fickman from the Harris County Criminal defense association, who spoke at the meeting:
"Metro police can do all the police exercises they want on each other: They can sic dogs on each other, they can Taser each other, they can throw rocks at each other for all I care. What Metro cannot do is practice their police exercises … on innocent Houstonians who just happened to be riding bus or rail."
Methinks VIPR was not well received at all in Houston. Chumps.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by nachtnebel
New Yorkers and my fellow Bostonians -- where mass transit usage is much higher than in Houston -- can take some lessons in liberty from Houstonians.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 9:47 am

Programs: *wood Gold
Normally, my comments hold a good deal of weight due to my involvement in local politics and I became the face of our local Occupy Wall Street movement.
I don't want to send this into OMNI/PR... But really, how are elected officials to really take the Occupy people seriously? No disrespect meant toward you personally - but the general impression of folks involved in that movement isn't particularly positive.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by nachtnebel
The story on the primetime ABC local (CHannel 13 KTRK) was fairly damning of the TSA. All of the interviews were Anti-TSA and anti-random search.
There was not even a single "anything for safety" hack in the crowd interviewed.
Old May 4, 2012, 10:17 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
There is a special METRO Board Meeting about this topic on Friday, 18 May at 9am at their HQ, 1900 Main Street. As of now, no word on getting signed up to speak. A friend just spoke with GOP Texas State Rep David Simpson Wikipedia page. He plans to re-introduce similar anti-TSA legislation in the upcoming session (starts Jan 2013) and is also working on legislation to fight NDAA and drones in Texas.

Last week, I was unable to attend and am scheduled to be traveling the 18th.
Old May 21, 2012, 1:04 pm

There is a special METRO Board Meeting about this topic on Friday, 18 May at 9am at their HQ, 1900 Main Street. As of now, no word on getting signed up to speak. A friend just spoke with GOP Texas State Rep David Simpson Wikipedia page. He plans to re-introduce similar anti-TSA legislation in the upcoming session (starts Jan 2013) and is also working on legislation to fight NDAA and drones in Texas.

Last week, I was unable to attend and am scheduled to be traveling the 18th.
So do you know what happened at the Friday board meeting?

The Metro CEO will be speaking at the meeting I will be chairing tonight. Any thoughts since as you have stated in this thread, "I know the METRO CEO and several board members. Normally, my comments hold a good deal of weight due to my involvement in local politics and I became the face of our local Occupy Wall Street movement."?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.