Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA bus patrol coming to Houston

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:34 pm

Programs: I still call it Onepass every now and then. Platinum.
Originally Posted by saulblum
If a cop on the street has reasonable suspicion that you have committed, or are in the process of committing, a crime, he may detain you for a brief Terry stop, and frisk you and your clothing for any weapons. He may not search your bags without a warrant, if you are not being placed under arrest.

Under what authority, then, can a TSO or cop search your bag on the bus without a warrant?

Of course, it is highly unlikely that a passenger will stand up for his rights when confronted by an armed cop demanding to open his bag, and the only chance this has of being struck down is a passenger so declining a search, and either being forced off the bus, or being placed under arrest.

I have the sinking feeling that Constitutional considerations never even entered into the discussion over this program.

I'd love to know its genesis: Did it start from the local police? Did it start with DHS?
I frequent Reason.com and other libertarian-leaning websites (as if FT'ers couldn't tell...)

Reason had a good blog post on this particular story in Houston, which linked back to an old article about the question of "consensual searches":

The officer asked if he could pat Brown down, and Brown agreed. Discovering "hard objects which were inconsistent with human anatomy" on Brown's thighs, the police arrested him, put him in handcuffs, and took him off the bus. Then the officer turned to Drayton and asked, "Mind if I check you?"

It's hard enough to believe that Brown knew he was perfectly free to send the police on their way but nevertheless consented to a pat-down search, despite the fact that he had 483 grams of cocaine in his underwear. It's simply inconceivable that Drayton, who was carrying 295 grams, could see his buddy hauled off in handcuffs and still make the same mistake. No one capable of dressing himself--not to mention incorporating bags of cocaine into his outfit--is that stupid. But according to the police, that's what happened.

A far more plausible explanation is that Brown and Drayton felt compelled to cooperate under the circumstances. Most people probably would, unless they were told they had a right to say no. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit therefore concluded that the Tallahassee police had violated the Fourth Amendment's guarantee against "unreasonable searches and seizures."

According to the Supreme Court, the key issue in cases involving warrantless "consent" searches is "whether a reasonable person would feel free to decline the officers' requests or otherwise terminate the encounter....'Consent' that is the product of official intimidation or harassment is not consent at all. Citizens do not forfeit their constitutional rights when they are coerced to comply with a request that they would prefer to refuse."

The officer who patted down Brown and Drayton said he had searched about 800 buses in the previous year. In what must have amounted to thousands of encounters with innocent citizens, only half a dozen passengers had declined to cooperate. It seems unlikely that they were the only ones who preferred not to have police officers rummage through their bags or feel their thighs.
So basically, the law says that they only have to get a warrant if you refuse or if the cops notice something already to give them "probable cause." But, then and there, if you refuse or if you act nervous or the bus driver rats on you, they can still search without a warrant.

It's all quite despicable if you ask me. Especially when it's something that's (in my opinion) benign, like simple possession of drugs that their trying to send you to prison for.

The way this connects to air travel is that way back when SCOTUS declared that directing someone through a WTMD before getting on a plane is "administrative", and therefore not a 4th Amendment violation, and thus law enforcement agencies and other government actors have steadily been widening that distinction for years. LEO's love this, because if they can search you "administratively" for a weapon on a pubic transit system, then they also get a fishing license to get a drug bust or a gun charge that they otherwise might be able to find without probable cause or a warrant. The Bill of Rights is intended to protect us from the cops, yet the concept of "administrative searches" - and letting them do whatever they want with whatever they find - tosses that whole rationale out the window. Cops and prosecutors want convictions and they see the constitution mostly as an impediment to that.

FWIW, as a civil libertarian, this is the main reason for my opposition to U.S. warmongering around the world - it gives the government an excuse to create a bogeyman that needs to be defended against and then you end up with nonsense like DHS and TSA and law enforcement agencies that then have permission to get around the Bill of Rights (not just the 4th Amendment) and basically do whatever they want under the guise of fighting that bogeyman.... like looking for drugs on a city bus and calling it a "war on terror."
Old Apr 19, 2012, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by cottonmather0
So basically, the law says that they only have to get a warrant if you refuse or if the cops notice something already to give them "probable cause." But, then and there, if you refuse or if you act nervous or the bus driver rats on you, they can still search without a warrant.
Perhaps any lawyers could chime in, but I am not convinced that such a search is legal. Instead of being on a bus, let's say I'm walking down a street, and a cop suspects I just committed some crime. He can temporarily detain me in a Terry stop, and perform a frisk of my clothing for any weapons. However, absent an arrest or a warrant, and without seeing anything in plain sight, I don't believe the cop can legally search open up and paw through my bags as part of that Terry stop detention.

So I still do not see the legal grounds for these Houston bus searches, even when the cop does have reasonable suspicion.

Of course, since the TSA is involved, the Houston cops need only invoke "administrative search" and "terror sweeps" and the legally sanctioned searches on the NY subway -- which can only happen outside the turnstiles, giving the rider the option to walk away -- and the Constitution is thrown out the bus window.

Any notion of "anti-terrorism" on the bus system is disgusting. Over the past decade, of the billions of public bus rides that have taken place in this country, none have ended in a terrorist bombing. That even one penny should be spent on a "terror sweep" of any public bus system is indicative of a country that has lost its collective mind.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 1:43 pm

.. let's say I'm walking down a street, and a cop suspects I just committed some crime....
The cop can't just suspect. He has to have a reasonable suspicion that can be defended in court.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Metro Police Chief Victor Rodriguez said the TSA's role in the sweep Friday was limited, with no TSA officials on buses.

"TSA was present to bolster the uniform presence on the (transportation) system," he said. "They provided behavioral detection officers who are specially trained to identify aberrant behaviors that may indicate potential terrorist activity."
I'm not one who is normally speechless, but I really have no idea what to say.

Originally Posted by nachtnebel
I wish the BDOs really *could* read minds....
YOMANK

Mike
Old Apr 19, 2012, 2:15 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
I live in Houston, regularly use Park & Rides, the Train and 102 IAH Express. I use the local transit buses on occasion. I'm sure going to have fun when I encounter a TSA trying to accost me. I'll be sure to report back here.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 9:46 pm

Programs: The program formerly know as WorldPerks
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
She's the one who thought Neil Armstrong landed on MARS. Please draw your conclusions about her intelligence from that fact.
When I first watched the video, I instantly thought of Maxine Waters....
Old Apr 20, 2012, 8:31 am

Perhaps any lawyers could chime in, but I am not convinced that such a search is legal. Instead of being on a bus, let's say I'm walking down a street, and a cop suspects I just committed some crime. He can temporarily detain me in a Terry stop, and perform a frisk of my clothing for any weapons. However, absent an arrest or a warrant, and without seeing anything in plain sight, I don't believe the cop can legally search open up and paw through my bags as part of that Terry stop detention.

So I still do not see the legal grounds for these Houston bus searches, even when the cop does have reasonable suspicion.

Of course, since the TSA is involved, the Houston cops need only invoke "administrative search" and "terror sweeps" and the legally sanctioned searches on the NY subway -- which can only happen outside the turnstiles, giving the rider the option to walk away -- and the Constitution is thrown out the bus window.

Any notion of "anti-terrorism" on the bus system is disgusting. Over the past decade, of the billions of public bus rides that have taken place in this country, none have ended in a terrorist bombing. That even one penny should be spent on a "terror sweep" of any public bus system is indicative of a country that has lost its collective mind.
Yeah, you're right. I got a little sloppy with my language there.

The point about the "Administrative Search" is what's important and since they're cops they can "keep what they kill" and arrest based on what they find during that search (drugs, guns), even though it's not what they were officially authorized to be looking for (al Qaeda)... which is the way they like it.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 5:42 pm

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cus&id=8629966
Old Apr 21, 2012, 9:33 am

RE: Houston: A big thing thats forgotten, is that Houston Is in the 100 mile constiution free zone of the US perimeter.:mad
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:23 am

Let me summarize.

Metro: "We're going to search bags without a warrant and look for contraband!"

a week later...

Metro Website: "We performed random bag checks and founds hookers and drugs and people with outstanding warrants."

Public: "Yeah, we don't like those random bag searches and it doesn't seem like you actually were worried about finding terrorists and instead were just using that as an excuse to arrest people for other stuff."

Metro: "We're still keeping people safe and we didn't search any bags!"

Public: "Your website still says you did."

Metro: "Oh yeah, uh, well we didn't do that and the website won't say we did anymore... But we still can decide to do it anyway the future and the fishing tri- errrrrrr, terrorist threat isn't going away.... By the way, don't quote us on that."
Old Apr 23, 2012, 1:54 pm

A letter to the editor in the Houston Chronicle:

Objection to searches

Regarding "Undercover officers ride buses in anti-terror effort" (Page B2, Thursday), the Harris County Criminal Lawyers Association (HCCLA), which represents more than 600 area criminal-defense lawyers, is alarmed that Metro Police Chief Victor Rodriguez invited Transportation Security Administration teams to conduct operations at Houston's bus stops.

The TSA is known for its disrespect for and abuse of airline passengers' civil liberties and dignity.

Metro said that agencies involved in the operations would, among other things, perform random bag checks.

Random bag checks are, except in very narrow circumstances (none of which apply to Houston bus passengers), illegal and in violation of the Fourth Amendment to the Constitution.

Local Metro buses are overwhelmingly used by people who don't have cars. Bus passengers are the least affluent and the least powerful of Houston's residents. It also bears saying that they are predominantly nonwhite.

It's not that Chief Rodriguez is incapable of keeping Metro bus stops safe without federal help: According to him, even without TSA interference, Houston has one of the safest transit systems in the world.

So Chief Rodriguez invited an abusive federal agency into our community to perform illegal searches on the least powerful among us, and it wasn't even necessary. We object.

Earl D. Musick, president, Harris County Criminal Lawyers Association
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:35 am

This Thursday, April 26, there is a regular METRO Board Meeting. Several activists, including a well known local civil rights attorney, are scheduled to speak on this issue. It is at 9am, METRO HQ, 1900 Main, Second Floor.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by RoyalFlush
This Thursday, April 26, there is a regular METRO Board Meeting. Several activists, including a well known local civil rights attorney, are scheduled to speak on this issue. It is at 9am, METRO HQ, 1900 Main, Second Floor.
Will you be there? And if so, are you planning on speaking?
Old Apr 24, 2012, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by ND Sol
Will you be there? And if so, are you planning on speaking?
No, I have prior obligation I can't get out of. Plus, I believe the deadline to sign up to speak passed. It is too bad, I know the METRO CEO and several board members. Normally, my comments hold a good deal of weight due to my involvement in local politics and I became the face of our local Occupy Wall Street movement.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by ND Sol
A letter to the editor in the Houston Chronicle:
^^^^^^^ x a bazillion!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.