Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Naked man arrested at Portland International Airport after disrobing at security

Naked man arrested at Portland International Airport after disrobing at security

Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by medic51vrf
I'm actually surprised that the DA (or DPP or whatever they have in Oregon) even filed on this one....
Originally Posted by MichaelEl2
They had to. Once the 'subjects' start an uprising it must be suppressed.
I speculate that the DA made the initial decision to file based on the information provided to them by the LEOs --- which may not have reflected the reality of the events at hand. The quality of one's decisions is greatly affected by the quality of the data available.
Old May 10, 2013, 1:59 pm

Programs: AIR: NONE, Hotel: Marriott PL, Hilton HHonors CC: Amex PLAT
update

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...ortland_i.html
Old May 10, 2013, 2:21 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
I sure hope the guy is successful in beating the $1000 fine. I guess I am not surprised the TSA wanted to exclude cameras from the court room.
Old May 10, 2013, 2:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
I sure hope the guy is successful in beating the $1000 fine. I guess I am not surprised the TSA wanted to exclude cameras from the court room.
That detail really jumped out at me. These guys are simply allergic to documentation-based accountability.

It seems there's a good chance that TSA will prevail in this round, and that the case will escalate:

Next week, however, the administrative law judge won't be allowed to consider Brennan's defense that he was exercising his constitutional rights, his attorney said.

If Brennan loses, Callahan said they'll appeal to a higher court -- either U.S. District Court or the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. Both courts can consider Brennan's free speech defense, Callahan said.
Also, remind me never to buy another Seagate hard drive:

Brennan worked as a web development manager at Seagate Technology, but said he was fired days after incident at the airport. In December he reached an undisclosed settlement with his employer.
Old May 10, 2013, 11:57 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

TSA attempting to levy fine on passenger

Not sure if this has been posted yet. If so, please merge/delete.

TSA is attempting to fine a passenger for interfering with the screening process. While his interference was definitely substantial and inappropriate, I believe this is the first time they are following through with a fine.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...incart_m-rpt-2
Old May 11, 2013, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
If only everyone would strip to protest TSA searches, it would make security much more interesting.
Old May 11, 2013, 2:16 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
I'd like to hear the argument on how his conduct "interfere with, assault, threaten, or intimidate" TSA screeners.

It did none of those things.
Old May 11, 2013, 5:23 am

I believe that the TSA tried to fine Nadine Hays, the applesauce lady, $2,500 but ultimately dropped that. She was charged with battery against a TSA agent but the charges were dropped.

http://boingboing.net/2010/04/26/tsa...uce-assau.html

Seems to be a pattern developing with the TSA: if you can't win in court, fine 'em.
Old May 11, 2013, 6:25 am

TSA blocks naked guy (protestor) in PDX

Surveillance footage shows TSA clerks securing the world from a man getting naked in the Portland, Oregon, airport. Claim was made he was a protestor. Story says he stripped because TSA said he had nitrates on his clothes. Some confusion obviously.

Arrested for interfering with the process. Fine $1000.

The circus continues.

See it here.
Old May 11, 2013, 6:38 am

this happened in 2012. the man is in court trying to get the to get the penalty nullified
Old May 12, 2013, 10:38 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by chucko
What a ......... He exposed himself to all those kids waiting in line, so he'll get to spend the rest of his life as a registered sex offender.
Except that he didn't and he won't. Beyond that, you're 100% correct.
Old May 12, 2013, 11:21 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Next week, however, the administrative law judge won't be allowed to consider Brennan's defense that he was exercising his constitutional rights, his attorney said.
Why not?

Truly a kangaroo court. PDX folks, please go along and boo and hiss.
Old May 12, 2013, 11:30 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
If the fine is upheld, he will challenge the Constitutionality of the fines and the searches, good news for all.
Old May 12, 2013, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by Spiff
If the fine is upheld, he will challenge the Constitutionality of the fines and the searches, good news for all.
Oh, no, I'm heartbroken at his threats to Security For All. Isn't he thinking of the children?!

Where do I send money if he needs it for the case to come?
Old May 12, 2013, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Why not?

Truly a kangaroo court. PDX folks, please go along and boo and hiss.
Yup, if the government doesn't like your defense they just don't let you use it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.