Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Naked man arrested at Portland International Airport after disrobing at security

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Naked man arrested at Portland International Airport after disrobing at security

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2013, 11:35 pm

In regards to this portion already mentioned...

Next week, however, the administrative law judge won't be allowed to consider Brennan's defense that he was exercising his constitutional rights, his attorney said.

If Brennan loses, Callahan said they'll appeal to a higher court -- either U.S. District Court or the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. Both courts can consider Brennan's free speech defense, Callahan said.
Quite bizarre he can't use the constitutional rights defense in front of the law judge, but should be able to if this gets appealed. I see this ongoing a year from now and I hope in the end, he will be vindicated. And to the lawyer taking this on pro bono, you have my personal thanks.
Old May 13, 2013, 12:11 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by redtigeriii
Quite bizarre he can't use the constitutional rights defense in front of the law judge, but should be able to if this gets appealed. I see this ongoing a year from now and I hope in the end, he will be vindicated. And to the lawyer taking this on pro bono, you have my personal thanks.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that administrative law judges cannot hear constitutional issues since they are not Article III judges. They are representatives of the agency, and they simply make sure that the agency acted in accordance with the law. Only the "real" federal judges can strike down laws as unconstitutional.
Old May 13, 2013, 3:14 am

Programs: I still call it Onepass every now and then. Platinum.
Originally Posted by cbn42
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that administrative law judges cannot hear constitutional issues since they are not Article III judges. They are representatives of the agency, and they simply make sure that the agency acted in accordance with the law. Only the "real" federal judges can strike down laws as unconstitutional.
This is correct. It's analogous to Tax Court, where basically the fox watches the hen house.

So yeah, TSA will show up in the kangaroo court and claim he disrupted security and so long as no one disagrees that the correct policy was followed (SSI!), he's guilty.
Old May 13, 2013, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by ScatterX
Arrested for interfering with the process. Fine $1000.
How does removing one's pants interfere with the process more than removing the shoes of the same person? Actually just makes the process easier and faster
Old May 13, 2013, 7:44 am

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
Headline reads:'Naked man arrested at Portland International Airport after disrobing at security'

Question? If the man is naked, how does he remove the clothes?

Seems it should be that the headline is more like 'man arrested for nudity after disrobing'

Sorry, I could not resist. Since he was smart to make the process so easy, lets give him the credit properly.
Old May 13, 2013, 7:52 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Spiff
If the fine is upheld, he will challenge the Constitutionality of the fines and the searches, good news for all.
He was fortunate in drawing a liberal judge in the criminal trial. An Appeals court is not likely to be so sympathetic, even if they decide they have jurisdiction to hear it.

There is no way the court would rollback the doctrine and practice of administrative law; if they rule it will be to affirm the concept and hand the TSA a nice, firm precedent for their carte blanche. I see no good news coming out of it at all.

5th Amendment challenge? Nope.
The U.S. Supreme Court has also held that the right against double jeopardy precludes only subsequent criminal proceedings. It does not preclude ordinary civil or administrative proceedings against a person who already has been prosecuted for the same act or omission. Nor is prosecution barred by double jeopardy if it is preceded by a final civil or administrative determination on the same issue.
Dropping trou at a checkpoint is hardly a "capital, or otherwise infamous crime" anyway.

Pay the fine and let it go.
Old May 13, 2013, 8:09 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by cottonmather0

So yeah, TSA will show up in the kangaroo court and claim he disrupted security
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
How does removing one's pants interfere with the process more than removing the shoes of the same person?
This is what I wonder about. Does the legal threshold for "disruption," "interference," or the similar "disorderly conduct" and "disturbing the peace" depend on the behavior of the accused or of the observers?

A naked person who is otherwise proceeding through the screening process would not seem to be interfering with or disrupting anything. However, the reactions of onlookers (or screeners) could be quite disrupting. But then aren't they the ones causing the problem?

In many of these cases, it seems like the reaction of the onlookers is the real source of disruption/interference.
Old May 13, 2013, 8:42 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
I've said it before and I'll say it again: the legal system in the US is bizarre.
Old May 13, 2013, 10:19 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by studentff
This is what I wonder about. Does the legal threshold for "disruption," "interference," or the similar "disorderly conduct" and "disturbing the peace" depend on the behavior of the accused or of the observers?

A naked person who is otherwise proceeding through the screening process would not seem to be interfering with or disrupting anything. However, the reactions of onlookers (or screeners) could be quite disrupting. But then aren't they the ones causing the problem?

In many of these cases, it seems like the reaction of the onlookers is the real source of disruption/interference.
In a state that allows public nudity, TSA is going to lose in the end.
Old May 13, 2013, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cbn42
It bothers me that the ALJ is an employee of DHS. Seems to be a clear ethics issue from the start.
Old May 13, 2013, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
How does removing one's pants interfere with the process more than removing the shoes of the same person? Actually just makes the process easier and faster
I think this guy could claim he expedited the screening process by proving he had no threat items on his person after alarming the ETD.

How would TSA counter that argument?
Old May 13, 2013, 10:40 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by studentff

In court, the standard is likely to be foreseeable effects of the conduct.

But this is an administrative hearing so the hearing officer has greater latitude.

That said, the TSA is trying to have him fined for engaging in Constitutionally protected activity. No matter what the admin officer does, I expect a court reviewing that decision would have a problem with penalizing Constitutionally protected activity.
Old May 13, 2013, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
No matter what the admin officer does, I expect a court reviewing that decision would have a problem with penalizing Constitutionally protected activity.
Nudity per se is not protected by the 1st Amendment in all instances. While there is no Federal statute banning public nudity most, if not all, States have one as do very many cities. The Constitutionality of such laws is governed by the "O'Brien" test:
a governmental regulation on free speech* is sufficiently justified if:
(1) it is within the constitutional power of the government;
(2) it furthers an important or substantial governmental interest;
(3) the governmental interest is unrelated to the suppression of free expression;
(4) the incidental restriction on alleged First Amendment freedoms is no greater than is essential to the furtherance of that interest.
Far from cut and dry and the ALJ won't even hear the 1st Amendment argument, so that can't be part of any appeal. All the TSA has to do is demonstrate that Brennan interfered with the screening process and, much as I despise the TSA, that's a no-brainer. He clearly did.

(* includes freedom of expression)
Old May 13, 2013, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Nudity per se is not protected by the 1st Amendment in all instances. While there is no Federal statute banning public nudity most, if not all, States have one as do very many cities. The Constitutionality of such laws is governed by the "O'Brien" test:

Far from cut and dry and the ALJ won't even hear the 1st Amendment argument, so that can't be part of any appeal. All the TSA has to do is demonstrate that Brennan interfered with the screening process and, much as I despise the TSA, that's a no-brainer. He clearly did.

(* includes freedom of expression)
He did not interefere, he helped advance the screening process by demonstrating he had no threat items on his person.

What more could TSA ask for?
Old May 13, 2013, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
What more could TSA ask for?
$1000 apparently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.