Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

New TSA Travel with Pets Policy -- Another hassle!

Old Apr 14, 2012, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: SkyMiles, AAdvantage

I often travel with my small pet parrot in a carrier in the cabin with me. At checkpoints, I take him out of the carrier, his carrier goes through x-ray and I walk through the metal detector with him perched on my hand. Usually the TSA people don't hassle me. Except this time. I walk through the metal detector and before I can put the bird back in his cage, I'm approached by a TSA agent with a cloth pad in his hand. He tells me there's a new policy: if you carry a pet through a metal detector, they insist on swabbing your hands and running the swab through their machine. Seems they believe you could be hiding something underneath your pet! Now this parrot weighs maybe two pounds and stands about 8 inches high. His legs give a clear space of about an inch between his body and my hand. No place to hide anything. But policy is policy....
Old Apr 14, 2012, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What could you be hiding under your pet, even if it was a sheepdog that wouldn't set off the metal detector?
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:41 am

Location: Northern California, in the redwoods, on the ocean.
Can your parrot talk? I can think of a few amusing phrases to teach it for such an occasion . . . (after all, they can hardly charge the bird with interfering with the screening process . . . )
Old Apr 14, 2012, 2:23 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I wonder if this is related to what I saw today.

A woman went through the WTMD (no scanners at this CP) and had a cute little dog. She was selected for additional screening of her carry on. As my bag was also selected, I had to wait while hers was finished to have mine done. Mine is not unusual because of the electronics, so that part did not surprise me.

At no time did I see that she had alarmed or that any of her stuff had. The initial swab may have hit a "positive," but we know how that is. None of them I saw did.

This woman's bag was searched in the most detailed manner that I have ever seen. They did multiple swabs. They emptied the entire bag. Cosmetic cases within the bag were emptied and swabbed. All of her personal belongings were handled and swabbed. Her stuff was spread out over the whole table. By the time the screener was finished, this woman had no secrets remaining in her bag. The stuff from her bag was unceremoniously stuffed back into the bag and handed to her. I was embarrassed for her. To her credit, I could see that she was seething, but she quietly watched as this process was carried out.

I looked to see if she was in my waiting area so I could speak to her and maybe commensurate a bit, but I did not see her, or the little dog, again.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by WindOfFreedom
Can your parrot talk?
Yes, the parrot can talk. I recall that the parrot is really like me lots. I don't see any problem at all. I can hold my 2 hands. I remember that I saw the lady on the streets. She carry the 2 or 3 parrots. That was 4 years ago.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 4:31 am

On the bright side, do pets exempt owners from full body scans?
Old Apr 15, 2012, 4:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What happens if the pet bites a TSA employee?
Old Apr 15, 2012, 5:13 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
They have to first get checked out for a series of possible infections. Generally, it is nothing serious as vets do that all of the time when pets become exposed to potential infections and diseases.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 6:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The pet needs to be checked immediately for possible infections from the TSO they bit
Old Apr 15, 2012, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SkyMiles, AAdvantage
My parrot does talk! I'm hoping he loudly lets out one his favorite phrases when we travel again later this week and are stopped by the hand swabbers. With any luck, everyone in the screening area will hear him ask "What's your problem?"
Old Apr 15, 2012, 5:15 pm

It's clearly only a matter of time before pets have to groped.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 5:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Pesky Monkey
Pistole's probably gotten some 'chatter' that informs him pets are the newest threat vector, while the shoes of kids under 12 and folks over 75 are not.

Heaven help the pet (and owner) that tests positive on a swab. And can a pet be assigned to the NoS? Wonder how they do a 'resolution' grope if there are any anomalies?
Old Apr 15, 2012, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Pesky Monkey
Yes, because they obviously would be unable to assume the "surrender" position long enough to get a clear scan.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon
What could you be hiding under your pet, even if it was a sheepdog that wouldn't set off the metal detector?
Explosives.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 3:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bdmarc
Except this time. I walk through the metal detector and before I can put the bird back in his cage, I'm approached by a TSA agent with a cloth pad in his hand. He tells me there's a new policy: if you carry a pet through a metal detector, they insist on swabbing your hands and running the swab through their machine.
Yep. It's new because he just made it up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.