Is hair pat down always gender specific?

Old Apr 7, 2012, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A+ CP, IHG Status-of-the-Day, Avis First. **Freedom fighter: One grope at a time.**
Is hair pat down always gender specific?

I've stated before here on FT that (to me) the most disgusting part of opting out is the way the screener strokes my short, straight hair. It makes my skin crawl.

So, this week Mr. CavePearl and I were waiting for our flight and we were discussing his most intense feel-up to date that had just happened at HOU. He said they checked every possible nook & cranny more than once. He never mentioned his hair, and it suddenly occurred to me that he has never mentioned his hair when describing his patdowns. I asked him if he has ever had his hair stoked in a pat down, and he said no. I couldn't believe it. He has long, very thick and wavy hair, sometimes in a pony tail, sometimes not. His hair is much fuller and considerably longer than mine, so I was surprised that he has never in probably 50 opt-outs had his hair touched.

Now I am wondering. Is this gender specific? Are women the only ones who have to endure this?
Old Apr 7, 2012, 2:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CavePearl
Now I am wondering. Is this gender specific? Are women the only ones who have to endure this?
No, but the reality is even more stupid than you could have guessed.

Bald men - like billiard-ball-smooth-bald - have reported having their scalps groped.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 3:35 pm
Suspended

I've had my hair manually inspected, and it's about 1" long.

--Jon
Old Apr 7, 2012, 3:41 pm

I've had my about .5" long hair inspected while a woman with poofy hair next to me had hers ignored.

I guess it's all about that patented inconsistency to keep terrorists guessing!
Old Apr 7, 2012, 5:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
At ORF two weeks ago, I saw someone with short sleeves have their bare wrist patted down.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by CavePearl
Can be anyone with long, thick, or wavy hair. Pat down by an officer of the same gender, of course.

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
At ORF two weeks ago, I saw someone with short sleeves have their bare wrist patted down.
There should be no contact with bare skin.

Last edited by scott523; Apr 7, 2012 at 8:21 pm
Old Apr 7, 2012, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by scott523
There should be no contact with bare skin.
Bolded the operative words for ya.

Originally Posted by Caradoc
No, but the reality is even more stupid than you could have guessed.

Bald men - like billiard-ball-smooth-bald - have reported having their scalps groped.
I've had my ~0.25-inch long hair fondled like I was getting a scalp massage and my bare legs rubbed (I was wearing shorts) twice. I've had my bare arms rubbed with both hands several times. Apparently TSA thinks I'm hiding a soda inside a prosthetic head.

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
The TSA clerk is trying to get a good rub so he can check his gloves for explosive residue. The fact they get 99.9999999999999999999% false positives doesn't really concern them.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 11:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ScatterX
The TSA clerk is trying to get a good rub so he can check his gloves for explosive residue. The fact they get 99.9999999999999999999% false positives doesn't really concern them.
I no longer believe that "explosive residue detection" is really the point of the exercise.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 11:56 pm
Suspended

Actually, I'm not sure the TSA has ever caught an explosive or terrorist via ETD, so that's 100.000000000000% false positive.

Originally Posted by ScatterX
--Jon
Old Apr 8, 2012, 3:15 am

They are most difinately patting down bare limbs. I think they are looking for fake skin.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 9:36 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Caradoc
I no longer believe that "explosive residue detection" is really the point of the exercise.
It never was.

The explosive residue test goes so far beyond "equivalence" to the body scan that the excuses for using it were never credible.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 10:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
The explosive residue test goes so far beyond "equivalence" to the body scan that the excuses for using it were never credible.
Much like everything the TSA does beyond X-raying the baggage and using the WTMD.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 1:47 pm

The pat down is punitive. No doubt about it. Metal detector + ETD would be much more effective than the pat down (or scan, for that matter).
Old Apr 8, 2012, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A+ CP, IHG Status-of-the-Day, Avis First. **Freedom fighter: One grope at a time.**
Interesting. I'm going to start watching more closely now when I see anyone getting patted down.

I've had bare skin patted down several times, but still the weirdest thing for me is looking under my wedding band. Yeah, yeah. I know. Who knows what could be hiding under there.

I don't like them touching my skin at all, but it is better than the creepy touching of my hair. Maybe Mr. CavePearl has just been lucky.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 4:56 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - chairman, HH - Diamond, Marriott - Platinum, TSA - Dog Dung.
Logic <> TSA

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.