Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Book offers vigilant travelers tips to identify suspicious behavior

Old Mar 13, 12, 9:12 am
Original Poster

http://overheadbin.msnbc.msn.com/_ne...cious-behavior

Looks like the authors are jockeying for a contract with DHS.
Old Mar 13, 12, 10:09 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by saulblum View Post
http://overheadbin.msnbc.msn.com/_ne...cious-behavior

Looks like the authors are jockeying for a contract with DHS.
Nah, just a self-proclaimed expert peddling the latest in a long line of "self help" trash books.

DHS already have their own quack - Ekman's the name.
Old Mar 13, 12, 10:44 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
I like where it says TSA "officers" are trained to look out for suspicious behavior. LMAO.
Old Mar 13, 12, 11:02 am

Programs: UA GS, WN A-List, AA Exec Plat, National Emerald
Quite often I see someone, usually an older women, go out of her way to thank the TSA! To me that's very suspicious behavior. Something a terrorist would do.

For example:

At SFO airport last week, I found a wallet on the ground near the scanner. After asking the person in front of me if it was his, I asked the TSO to get a LEO over so I can turn in the wallet.

"You can give it to me" he said. "I will only trust a police officer with a lost wallet" I replied.

The woman behind me in line, to prove to the TSA that she was a good obedient citizen told the TSO "I just want to say that I think you guys are doing a terriffic job, and it's a shame everyone doesn't feel that way." (I'm paraphrasing). The female TSO then engaged in a few minutes of giggly chit-chat with her while I was being patted down.

IMHO, thanking the TSA is suspicious. They should have tased her, to remove any immediate danger, and then carefully searched every body cavity on that woman. No normal passenger would thank the TSA. They may not go out of their way to be rude, but telling them what a good job they're doing and engaging in chit-chat when you have a plane to catch just doesn't make sense.
Old Mar 13, 12, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
They forgot the part about traveling while brown. Maybe that's for the second edition?

Mike
Old Mar 13, 12, 3:02 pm

I'm really hoping this doesn't hit mainstream America. Otherwise, we can look forward to terminal dumps or other "security alerts" occurring on a daily basis because some Nervous Nellie saw a man pull off his sweatshirt, and decided to do her Patriotic Duty[TM] and report him to the nearest TS"O".

Question for any resident TS"O"s or LEOs here: when a Nervous Nellie approaches a TS"O" or LEO to "say something" because they "saw something", what's the response? I'd apparently make a terrible cop: "Ma'am, why on earth are you telling me you saw a man pull off his sweatshirt?"

I think a lot of this is based on looking retrospectively at 9/11 and how it "could have" been prevented. IMHO, the only way we could have prevented 9/11 would have been to publish the intelligence of AQ wanting to use airplanes as suicide missiles: "We're going to stop this before it happens. You have x months to install hardened cockpit doors, and effective immediately, resist hijackers." The 9/11 attacks would have either never been attempted, or it would have resulted in 19 tackles, four emergency landings, a one-day nationwide grounding, and hopefully, 19 life sentences.

(Yes...I know that Ron Paul points out that, if we had a neutral foreign policy, 9/11 wouldn't have happened, but I'm trying to overlook that and point out how it could have been prevented assuming it was going to be attempted anyway.)
Old Mar 13, 12, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

“Watch for people taking pictures of things people wouldn’t normally be photographing,” said Glass. “Things like exits and entrances or ceilings and doors.”
I tweeted some comments to Ms. Glass --

https://twitter.com/#!/drlillianglass

I encourage others to do the same.

Airport ceiling images

Oh no! We're all going to die! The terrorists know what the ceilings look like!

Pathetic. As though police needed more ammunition to harass photographers.
Old Mar 13, 12, 4:01 pm

I particularly like the tip about "inapropreate clothing".
In an airport? Really?

I college a went to spring brake in the bahamas. I had a layover in miami (for about half a day). When I left Boston there was snow on the ground. In the Bahama's it was int he high 80s. If this was out then, I'd probably still be answering TSA questions.
Old Mar 13, 12, 9:03 pm

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack!

I am not a duck.
Old Mar 13, 12, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by mahohmei View Post
Question for any resident TS"O"s or LEOs here: when a Nervous Nellie approaches a TS"O" or LEO to "say something" because they "saw something", what's the response? I'd apparently make a terrible cop: "Ma'am, why on earth are you telling me you saw a man pull off his sweatshirt?"
Being a trained professional, I thank them for reporting the suspicious behavior, and tell them I'll get right on it. I then go back to drinking my coffee. Unless, of course, it sounds really odd, then I might go take a gander.
Old Mar 14, 12, 10:45 am

Programs: UA GS, WN A-List, AA Exec Plat, National Emerald
If you have an Amazon account, you can download the first chapter for free on the Kindle reader.

I can't imagine how the "inappropriate clothing" advice makes sense in an airport!

Often I'm in a winter coat when everyone else is wearing shorts and a T-Shirt when flying from LAX to JFK in the winter! (Also, in LA you see a lot of people dressed to go skiing at the airport, especially now that you can't check too much, they just wear their ski jackets on the plane for the flights to Salt Lake/Park City)

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain View Post
Her YouTube reel says she's the author of 15 books in "published every language." I'm going to get the Yiddish version of this one.
Old Mar 14, 12, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by reamworks View Post
...people dressed to go skiing at the airport...
You can do that at LAX ?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: