Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

CNN: West Yellowstone (WYS) gets rare TSA concession: Private screeners!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CNN: West Yellowstone (WYS) gets rare TSA concession: Private screeners!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2012, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Thumbs up CNN: West Yellowstone (WYS) gets rare TSA concession: Private screeners!

An incredibly rare outbreak of common sense has hit TSA: WYS will be staffed with private screeners!

Here is the link to the news:

Montana airport gets rare TSA concession: Private screeners
By Mike M. Ahlers, CNN
updated 5:44 AM EST, Tue February 7, 2012

A short quote:
Washington (CNN) -- Every spring, when West Yellowstone Airport in Montana opens for the season, the TSA flies in six people to staff the airport's one-lane security checkpoint. Every fall, it flies the screeners home.

All of that will soon change.

The TSA said Monday it will allow the state-owned airport to hire a private company to conduct the TSA screening, making those six screener jobs available to local residents and, quite possibly, saving the federal government money.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
What they have a WYS that very few other airports have is the time to install machines and have them tested by TSA. Lucky them!
Old Feb 7, 2012, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by tkey75
What they have a WYS that very few other airports have is the time to install machines and have them tested by TSA. Lucky them!
My burning question about using private screeners: if the private screeners are told by the airport to operate 9/10-style, and there are still zero incidents...what happens?
Old Feb 7, 2012, 9:18 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
An incredibly rare outbreak of common sense has hit TSA: WYS will be staffed with private screeners!
Did they jump or were they pushed?
Old Feb 7, 2012, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by mahohmei
My burning question about using private screeners: if the private screeners are told by the airport to operate 9/10-style, and there are still zero incidents...what happens?
They can be told by the airport to do anything until they're blue in the face. TSA still makes the rules.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Since I go through SFO once a month, all I can say is that with the choice between TSA and private screeners, you're still playing Russian roulette. I've had uneventful experiences at SFO, and I've had two really crappy experiences in the last two years.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Pistole denied BTM (Butte) and MCO (Orlando) when he approved WYS (West Yellowstone)

The USA Today's Bart Jansen mentioned a detail I overlooked:

USA TODAY
TSA chief: Private baggage screeners cost more

Updated 2/7/2012 6:29 PM

Here is the relevant sentence:
Last week Pistole agreed to allow the West Yellowstone airport in Montana, which is open seasonally, to hire private screeners. But at the same time he rejected applications from Bert Mooney Airport in Montana and Orlando International Airport in Florida.
The CNN article concluded by saying that Pistole had "rejected two other airports", but did not mention which airports they were.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.