Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Flying As a Veteran: Arrested @MIA & Jailed for 12 Days, due to Army's clerical error

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying As a Veteran: Arrested @MIA & Jailed for 12 Days, due to Army's clerical error

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags

Some very troubling news from the Stars and Stripes:

Stars and Stripes:
Vet Mistakenly Declared AWOL Arrested, Jailed

February 11, 2012

A short quote:
WASHINGTON -- Louie Castro is a 28-year-old religion major at Florida State University who should have started the final semester of his senior year last month. Instead, he spent 12 days in jail after being arrested at Miami International Airport because of an administrative error the Army apparently made when he left the service more than nine years ago.

The Army considered him absent without leave.
He enlisted in the Army when he was 17 and left with an other-than-honorable discharge less than 2 years later.

[A civilian lawyer representing the arrested veteran] said conversations with Fort Carson officials indicate that many others have been arrested on similar warrants and that potentially hundreds of other former soldiers once based at Fort Hood could be unaware that warrants are out on them, ticking time bombs in their official government files because of clerical mistakes by military personnel officers.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:22 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

He isn't much of a veteran; I don't have a ton of sympathy for him.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Ari
He isn't much of a veteran; I don't have a ton of sympathy for him.
I would argue that being jailed for 12 days, being forced to withdraw from his university and delay his graduation, and losing his financial aid package as a result, all because someone screwed up his discharge paperwork, makes him worthy of "a ton of sympathy".

This isn't about how "much of a veteran" he is. This is about an administrative screw-up costing a young man --- who, by all accounts in the article, was starting to turn his life around --- thousands of dollars and probably months of his life.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:46 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
I would argue that being jailed for 12 days, being forced to withdraw from his university and delay his graduation, and losing his financial aid package as a result, all because someone screwed up his discharge paperwork, makes him worthy of "a ton of sympathy".

This isn't about how "much of a veteran" he is. This is about an administrative screw-up costing a young man --- who, by all accounts in the article, was starting to turn his life around --- thousands of dollars and probably months of his life.
He can sue for money and hopefully win.

I didn't say I had no sympathy for him, I just don't have a ton of sympathy for him. I'd have much more sympathy for him if he were a 'real' veteran who actually served his country.

The government did wrong in this case and should compensate him accordingly. (He also had a larceny warrant to take care of, so his initial arrest was not a false arrest; only the time after he took care of that fine and was still detained on the Army detainer is actionable in my opinion, even if the Army warrant was the only reason he was arrested).
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO

+1

I would argue that the person responsible for this screw-up isn't 'much of a veteran' either. Too bad he/they won't be held accountable for this waste of government resources. Wonder how many other service members had to deal with faulty/missing paperwork because of his poor service.

Someone should certainly look into the jerk who told him to go to the airport, where a ticket would be waiting for him. That individual (Kersey?) doesn't want to comment now. Another paperwork screw-up?

Most sickening: in 2012, the 'digital' age, this can only be resolved by sending him cross-country to do it in person? Wonder if there would be the same insistence on the 'rules' if he was the son/daughter of a sitting Congressman?

This has the whole office buzzing this am - apparently this type of screw-up is sadly not uncommon. Guys separating from service, not always in the best of shape if it's because they're going out on a medical, are handed papers, told where to sign, etc. Amazing how many ex-military didn't realize the importance of some of the papers, found errors in their records, sometimes years later...Yeah, you should always read what you sign, bla-bla. Our facilities guy is an 20-year vet, heck of a guy with his hands, not so good with paperwork - he's a classic example of a 'good vet' who had no idea what he was signing or what was in the bundle of papers he got when he left service.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
He can sue for money and hopefully win.
If the best we can say is that he'll "hopefully" win ...

... aw, never mind.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 8:03 pm

Programs: PC Plat/Amb

Everyone who is wronged by the Government is either "a good person" or "turning their life around" according to the media.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by We Will Never Forget
Everyone who is wronged by the Government is either "a good person" or "turning their life around" according to the media.
From the article:

His boss at the bagel shop in Tallahassee where he’s worked for four years this week called him “my best employee … basically the assistant manager.” One of his professors at Florida State, where he majors in religion and has a 3.5 grade point average, spoke highly of him, calling Castro, “upright … an excellent student.” Another professor said in an email that she considers him “smart, kind, promising, inspiring.”
Not just the author of the article believes this, apparently ...
Old Feb 14, 2012, 4:04 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by chollie
+1

I would argue that the person responsible for this screw-up isn't 'much of a veteran' either. Too bad he/they won't be held accountable for this waste of government resources. Wonder how many other service members had to deal with faulty/missing paperwork because of his poor service.

Someone should certainly look into the jerk who told him to go to the airport, where a ticket would be waiting for him. That individual (Kersey?) doesn't want to comment now. Another paperwork screw-up?

Most sickening: in 2012, the 'digital' age, this can only be resolved by sending him cross-country to do it in person? Wonder if there would be the same insistence on the 'rules' if he was the son/daughter of a sitting Congressman?
This is certainly something that is ripe to be changed, especially in the era of downsizing budgets. As it stands now, believe it or not, AWOL servicemembers have to fly back to Germany to formally out-process the Army when their unit is stationed there. The DD 214 is a very important document but it would seem that it could be generated at an office in the states, maybe even at a local MEPS station. Usually by the point they return, most of their out-processing has already been handled by their old unit.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:32 pm

Programs: PC Plat/Amb
From the article:

Not just the author of the article believes this, apparently ...
Wow, the best employee in the bagel shop.

Such accolades.

My point is that the media always tries to introduce emotion in stories where it isn't appropriate.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by etch5895
This is certainly something that is ripe to be changed, especially in the era of downsizing budgets. As it stands now, believe it or not, AWOL servicemembers have to fly back to Germany to formally out-process the Army when their unit is stationed there. The DD 214 is a very important document but it would seem that it could be generated at an office in the states, maybe even at a local MEPS station. Usually by the point they return, most of their out-processing has already been handled by their old unit.
This is the kind of garbage (waste of taxpayer's dollars) that comes to mind when I hear folks say if we reduce the military budget, our national security will suffer.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by We Will Never Forget
Wow, the best employee in the bagel shop.

Such accolades.

My point is that the media always tries to introduce emotion in stories where it isn't appropriate.
It sounds to me like your point is more that some American citizens are worthy of the protections of our Constitution, while others, depending on economic/employment circumstances, are not. As a combat disabled veteran, that kind of "point" makes me want to puke.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:18 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: JAL Global Club, One World Sapphire, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 4nsicdoc
It sounds to me like your point is more that some American citizens are worthy of the protections of our Constitution, while others, depending on economic/employment circumstances, are not. As a combat disabled veteran, that kind of "point" makes me want to puke.
+1^
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:41 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by 4nsicdoc

I'm a "combat disabled veteran" (which can mean many things) too and I agree with him (WWNF) in that the media does too often toss in emotion when irrelevant to the story focus or "facts".
Old Feb 15, 2012, 3:31 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by chollie
This is the kind of garbage (waste of taxpayer's dollars) that comes to mind when I hear folks say if we reduce the military budget, our national security will suffer.
Yesterday's Stars and Stripes ran another article. He won't be required to fly to Colorado after all; his DD214 will be done in absentia. A small victory against wasteful spending. Hopefully this is a harbinger of things to come in re government wasteful spending and modern efficiency.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.