Wow, journalism these days is awful

Old Feb 8, 12, 3:09 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 821
Wow, journalism these days is awful

http://www.wltz.com/story/16771514/c...ity-checkpoint

Just like many other TSA-related stories, there was no independent research at all, just a TSA press release.

Today the TSA unveiled a full body scanner that can detect any hidden threats.
saulblum is offline  
Old Feb 8, 12, 4:04 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Programs: Marriott Rewards, Delta SkyMiles
Posts: 74
What gets me is that if my memory serves me correctly, the Columbus airport is tiny. The old 'airport, hair care and tire center' (thanks Ron White). Never flew out of there (only 90 miles to ATL), but drove past on several occasions. Airport looks so small the TSA agent doubles as the skycap, gate attendant and pushback driver.

Yep - just a press release posted online. No one could be bothered to do any research.
Devil_Dog99 is offline  
Old Feb 9, 12, 7:16 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 821
It gets worse.

http://www2.newsvirginian.com/news/2...sa-ar-1674337/

If thatís the case, Paul should be reminded that Richard Reid, a.k.a. the Shoe Bomber, didnít fit our preconceived profile of a terrorist, either. If the TSA hadnít discovered a bomb in his shoe, he and the other passengers on the American Airline flight may have been blown out of the air.
What?!
saulblum is offline  
Old Feb 9, 12, 7:43 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: DCA / WAS
Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Posts: 9,387
Originally Posted by saulblum View Post
It says that the author is an "employee of Virginia and a News Virginian Columnist". Assuming that means he is an employee of the State, it's no wonder that he takes a government-can-do-no-wrong approach.

Instead of questioning the TSA's arbitrary rules, he takes issue with the the fact that someone is complaining about the rules (and the folks at the checkpoint).

No surprise at the attitude. At all.
Global_Hi_Flyer is offline  
Old Feb 9, 12, 10:47 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Up in the air far too often.
Programs: Star Gold
Posts: 354
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer View Post
It says that the author is an "employee of Virginia and a News Virginian Columnist". Assuming that means he is an employee of the State, it's no wonder that he takes a government-can-do-no-wrong approach.

Instead of questioning the TSA's arbitrary rules, he takes issue with the the fact that someone is complaining about the rules (and the folks at the checkpoint).

No surprise at the attitude. At all.
Wow, that could very well be the worst piece of "opinion" I have ever read. His "facts" are totally incorrect.
cardiomd is offline  
Old Feb 9, 12, 2:00 pm
  #6  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,728
Originally Posted by saulblum View Post
Just like many other TSA-related stories, there was no independent research at all, just a TSA press release.
Calling that "journalism" is like calling what the TSA does "security."
Caradoc is offline  
Old Feb 9, 12, 2:42 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ATL Lost Luggage
Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Posts: 6,649
Originally Posted by saulblum View Post
Per the The News Virginia "Contact Us" Page, the editor is:

Jonathan Hunley
[email protected]
(540) 932-3556

Please be polite and professional when contacting him!
RatherBeOnATrain is offline  
Old Feb 9, 12, 2:58 pm
  #8  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Yiron, Israel
Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Posts: 64,647
When writing, you might want to point out that not only did the TSA not discover the bomb in Reid's shoe, it wasn't even theoretically possible for it to have done so, as he boarded the flight in France.
Dovster is offline  
Old Feb 9, 12, 3:24 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Salish Sea
Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Posts: 8,977
Originally Posted by Dovster View Post
When writing, you might want to point out that not only did the TSA not discover the bomb in Reid's shoe, it wasn't even theoretically possible for it to have done so, as he boarded the flight in France.
Nor was the TSA responsible for security until February 2002.
Wally Bird is offline  
Old Feb 9, 12, 3:53 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: on the path to perdition
Programs: Delta, United
Posts: 4,231
Dear Mr. Hunley,

May I ask if your newspaper employs a fact checker?

From: http://www2.newsvirginian.com/news/2...sa-ar-1674337/

"If that’s the case, Paul should be reminded that Richard Reid, a.k.a. the Shoe Bomber, didn’t fit our preconceived profile of a terrorist, either. If the TSA hadn’t discovered a bomb in his shoe, he and the other passengers on the American Airline flight may have been blown out of the air."

Richard Reid's "shoe bomb attempt took place in December 2001, the TSA was not formed until 2002.

Richard Reid's boarded a flight from Paris, France to Miami,FL. Last time I checked France was an independent county that has its own airport security and does not utilize the TSA.

Richard Reid's shoe bomb attempt was discovered on the plane by a passenger and an airline attendant, not the TSA.

About the only accurate statement is that that had Richard Reid been able to ignite the C4 it could have damaged the aircraft enough, causing it to crash.

And for the record the TSA has never discovered a terrorist in its10 year plus of self aggrandizing existence.

Perhaps Mr. Graves could be employed else where until he learns to get his facts correct. I hear the TSA is hiring and they like to make things up.

FUTR
FlyingUnderTheRadar is offline  
Old Feb 9, 12, 4:12 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: CHA, MAN;
Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; HH Diam,Hz PC,
Posts: 11,092
Originally Posted by Caradoc View Post
Calling that "journalism" is like calling what the TSA does "security."
absolutely +1
GRALISTAIR is offline  
Old Feb 10, 12, 3:22 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Salish Sea
Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Posts: 8,977
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar View Post
About the only accurate statement is that that had Richard Reid been able to ignite the C4 it could have damaged the aircraft enough, causing it to crash.
Not even that. The shoe contained stabilized triacetonetriperoxide (TATP), a highly volatile and explosive compound made from easily attainable chemicals, and pentaerthritol tetranitrate (PETN), an explosive component used in military-grade plastic explosive. The explosive material in C-4 is cyclotrimethylene-trinitramine more commonly known as RDX.

And there was about 100 grams, not 10 ounces as originally reported by some/most media.
Wally Bird is offline  
Old Feb 10, 12, 4:06 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: where the chile is hot
Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Posts: 32,726
Originally Posted by Wally Bird View Post
Not even that. The shoe contained stabilized triacetonetriperoxide (TATP), a highly volatile and explosive compound made from easily attainable chemicals, and pentaerthritol tetranitrate (PETN), an explosive component used in military-grade plastic explosive. The explosive material in C-4 is cyclotrimethylene-trinitramine more commonly known as RDX.

And there was about 100 grams, not 10 ounces as originally reported by some/most media.
100 grams, versus the 4+ pounds that apparently made it through a checkpoint in a bag that was pulled for inspection in Fayetteville.
chollie is offline  
Old Feb 10, 12, 4:23 pm
  #14  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,728
Originally Posted by chollie View Post
100 grams, versus the 4+ pounds that apparently made it through a checkpoint in a bag that was pulled for inspection in Fayetteville.
Still in clearly-marked block wrappers, too. Easily identifiable, unless one wears a blue shirt and tin badge.
Caradoc is offline  
Old Feb 10, 12, 5:01 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: where the chile is hot
Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Posts: 32,726
Originally Posted by Caradoc View Post
Still in clearly-marked block wrappers, too. Easily identifiable, unless one wears a blue shirt and tin badge.
If it had been 'artfully concealed', they would have caught it. You know, like maybe...disguised as a cupcake or something...
chollie is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: