Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Field Trip!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2012, 2:34 pm
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
There needs to be room for something between the two extremes of "say nothing" and "intense interrogation".

Folks like Dean (admittedly, all too rare) seem to be honestly trying to help people get through the checkpoint as quickly and efficiently as possible. Suggestions regarding what types of items might be likely to trigger various secondary checks seem, to me, to be completely appropriate. And Dean's self-report that his dialog with passengers led to fewer secondary checks would seem to indicate a good result for all concerned.

Unfortunately, it's extremely difficult in any customer-service profession (and, yes, I put TSA in that category, even if they don't) for professionals to tell the difference between people who are genuinely knowledgeable about the process at hand, and people who aren't knowledgeable about the process but believe that they are.
I fully acknowledge what Dean reported for the reduced number of secondary / resolution checks as a result of his interactions. That can make the security process easier for those people.

My objection is the reaction of most TSOs when I choose to not participate in the discussion because I have no need for it (I always opt out). See this post for my reasons about this:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...l#post17813207

Dean likely moves on to next person if the passenger does not engage with him. Most do not...they insist on being acknowledged by the passenger -- like the used car salesman who won't leave you alone.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

HSVTSO Dean, thanks for an informative and interesting thread. "You da Man!"
Old Jan 18, 2012, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by PTravel
HSVTSO Dean, thanks for an informative and interesting thread. "You da Man!"
+1 ^
Old Jan 18, 2012, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scoow
1. Did you really drink the whole 2-liter of Mtn Dew between HSV & ATL? Or did you have to "surrender" it at the ATL checkpoint?
Neither. I left it in the van out in the parking lot. :P

2. Does the AIT have an option to show the old/non-avatar image of the area registering an anomoly? [...] Or do you just have the "alarm" showing on the avatar and have to resolve via pat-down / visual inspection?
The second. Even before ATR, the machine didn't produce an "image" like a camera does. Everything about it was just raw data, ones and zeroes and such, and the programming of the machine turned that raw data into what we would call an image. From what I understand, installing the ATR basically goes something like a full software overhaul of the machine, and even the capability of producing that image -- this mangled mess here -- is gone.

What you see -- here -- is all that's visible on the screen. It's a touch-screen, lacking any kind of other input devices such as a keyboard or a mouse. The only options on-screen that you have are male scan (the blue one), female scan (the pink one), and clear, which purges the current scan to move on to the next one. There are also safe-guards built into the programing that prevents the operator from continuously scanning people and not clearing the avatar and data.

3. Do alarms or any summary info. (# alarms, locations, etc) get saved or sent to a central location? For training purposes or future software improvements, I could see TSA / L3 being interested in this information. For example, if the lane with Dean working as DO sees an increase in the number of alarms, perhaps Dean isn't doing a great job getting passengers to empty their pockets. Or if one lane starts having a huge number of alarms on people's left arm, maybe there's a problem with the machine.
When I gave the machines a once-over, I didn't see any means for them to store or transmit the information. Like I said before, it's possible that such a thing could be internal to the machine, but I didn't see any direct connection ports on the machine itself (such as serial ports or USB slots or a CD bay. Just as an aside, the carry-on x-ray machines at the security checkpoint have all three). Short of tearing the machine apart piece by piece and deconstructing every line of code that went into its programming, I can't really give a 100% empirically-true answer to this question. But, just from what I saw, I'll say no.

The closest it came to it was what I think are scan numbers, which the supervisor occasionally rolled by and jotted down. In the image above - this one - it's in the very bottom-left corner. That particular machine, at the time that particular photo was snapped, had performed 385,607 scans (if that number is what I believe it to be). Supporting my educated guess on the matter is the fact that the same thing is done with WTMD devices, using a built-in counter on the machine. The numbers are written down hourly to track throughput. It's hardly the best picture for it, but you can (kind of) see the console up at the top of the WTMD. Those are buttons beneath the green/red displays.

Originally Posted by fishferbrains
I hope if I ever transit your airport you don't take it personally.
One of the important things to always keep in mind when doing this job -- indeed, any job -- is to not take things personally.

Originally Posted by KDS
Dean likely moves on to next person if the passenger does not engage with him.
Yup. Can usually tell right off the bat if someone is going to engage or not. If they respond to "Good morning, sir!" with "..." then it's a pretty good bet that they're not.

Last edited by HSVTSO Dean; Jan 18, 2012 at 9:35 pm
Old Jan 18, 2012, 9:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
If the full-body frisk (required for those of us physically incapable of using the NoS or those who opt-out) only takes a couple minutes (supposedly), why do those pax have to wait for special treatment?

If I understand you correctly, two people staff the NoS, one of each gender, and you swap off as needed to resolve anomalies. Why not just 'feed' someone who requires a full-body frisk into this line, instead of pulling them out, often taking them out of sight of their belongings, requiring sometimes 3 TSOs - a 'caller/minder', a frisker and a bag searcher.

I know some folks don't want to walk through the NoS because they don't trust that the machine is truly off, but I think most folks (including me) would walk through it to get to the other side where able-bodied folks get their frisks, full or partial, as needed.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:11 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by HSVTSO Dean
Even before ATR, the machine didn't produce an "image" like a camera does. Everything about it was just raw data, ones and zeroes and such, and the programming of the machine turned that raw data into what we would call an image. From what I understand, installing the ATR basically goes something like a full software overhaul of the machine, and even the capability of producing that image -- this mangled mess here -- is gone.
1. Every digital image is just ones and zeros; the machine was acting exactly like your digital camera, except the "flash" was microwaves instead of light.

2. From the work I have done with image processing software, I can guarantee you that the same ones and zeros are still collected and an image could be easily displayed out of this data. If my computer doesn't have a program that opens .tif files, that doesn't mean I don't have any .tif files on my computer. It may be a semantic distinction... I know your point is that the software would need to be modified for a TSO to be able to see the real image on the screen.

ATR is most likely a software update where they added some detection algorithms (for example, edge detection algorithms would detect where the body starts; the same algorithms could also detect sharp lines/gradients within the area of the body) and some processing software to draw a box on a stick figure in the approximate area of anything that was detected by the algorithms.

3. Thanks for the interesting thread.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 9:17 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by janetdoe
ATR is most likely a software update where they added some detection algorithms (for example, edge detection algorithms would detect where the body starts; the same algorithms could also detect sharp lines/gradients within the area of the body) and some processing software to draw a box on a stick figure in the approximate area of anything that was detected by the algorithms.
This aspect has been discussed before with dissenters claiming that the sanitized software would only detect sharp, straight(ish) lines and harsh contrast areas. The proponents, including the TSA, have not disproven or even denied this contention.

So do they work ? 100% no. 50% perhaps. Somewhere in between probably.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Thanks fr the interesting writeup!
Old Jan 19, 2012, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
This aspect has been discussed before with dissenters claiming that the sanitized software would only detect sharp, straight(ish) lines and harsh contrast areas. The proponents, including the TSA, have not disproven or even denied this contention.

So do they work ? 100% no. 50% perhaps. Somewhere in between probably.
I missed those discussions, but at our lab, we have a simple $2000 software package called SPIP for analyzing images taken from microscopes (TEM, SEM, AFM, optical, etc.) and I assure you it can detect much more that straight sharp lines. A very simple example shows that it can distinguish a very noisy background from areas of interest.

Further, I was able to combine the image analysis software with some very simple neural net training, and the computer ended up being able to do classifications instantly and with higher accuracy than human classification. We would run the neural net algortihm on an image we had classified by hand, go back and see why the computer "missed" it, and more often than not, the human classification would be wrong.

And neither of these is my area of research or my specialty, just hacking around with some basic off-the-shelf tools. Based on what I was able to accomplish in a few weeks of work, I have no doubt that the image recognition and anomaly detection could be incredibly effective, especially if they tune the algorithms to accept a high number of false positives (which is certainly the case). Think about it, how advanced is Google image recognition software? And that covers ALL images, not just images of humans in a single pose.

Of course the 'pancake' problem could still be an issue, but frankly, that's a very theoretical example, and assumes that someone can find an explosive that matches the MMW signature of human skin, and then carefully and precisely sculpts it. Even then, if it could be done, it would not be hard for the ATR developers to take some MMV images of the human+pancake and identify the image or signal artifacts that could be detected using a different algorithm. <shrug>

The TSA would be incredibly stupid to confirm or deny the capabilities of the system.

Last edited by janetdoe; Jan 19, 2012 at 1:36 pm
Old Jan 19, 2012, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by goalie
Is the redhead hot?
Sad to say, that was exactly my first thought.

Mike
Old Jan 19, 2012, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef
Sad to say, that was exactly my first thought.

Mike
Really? I wondered if the Librarian was hot.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Really? I wondered if the Librarian was hot.
Librarians are always hot.

Mike
Old Jan 19, 2012, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
The TSA would be incredibly stupid to confirm or deny the capabilities of the system.
I agree that publicizing the limitations would be counter-productive but we have empirical evidence of things getting past the scanners undetected.

That's either a failure of the machine/software or an oversight by the TSA operator(s) or both. I don't have a lot of faith in anything the TSA does (you may have gathered ) so I can't necessarily accept that the 'new' software is as capable as that you describe. It ought to be - it took long enough.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
I don't have a lot of faith in anything the TSA does (you may have gathered ) so I can't necessarily accept that the 'new' software is as capable as that you describe. It ought to be - it took long enough.
Agreed 100%. Just saying that technologically, what they have claimed is not unbelievable, and a 50% miss rate sound ludicrous even for an amateur programmer like myself.

I'll see your "I don't have faith in the TSA" and raise you one. The NSA could easily be reading the EM signature from the AIT system, capturing the images that way, and storing them in databases for analysis with facial recognition software. Let's see if we can figure out if MMW or BSX machines are TEMPEST-certified.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 8:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by KDS
Dean, I mean no offense to you, as I too appreciate your attitude towards the traveling public in your checkpoint. However, I am one of those people who do not appreciate nor like it when a TSO unbidden offers tips / suggestions / demands of what I do with my personal items while queueing up for the security dance. If I have questions, I'll ask. Otherwise, leave me alone.

I resent that my government, through agents such as TSA, demands that I walk the right way, queue the right way, get scanned the right way, etc. just because I choose to travel within the country. One of my protest methods is that I will not acknowledge the unsolicited involvement by its agents into my life until TSA forces itself on me through the inevitable "patdown" (assault).

It's not personal towards you... so I apologize in advance in case I transit HSV in the future. But I consider my rights as sacrosanct in the US, and will not willingly nor helpfully give them away.
Well said. I refuse to be treated as a suspected terrorist simply because I decide to fly on an airplane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.