Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Petition at WhiteHouse.gov

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG; HHonors Gold
TSA Petition at WhiteHouse.gov

So, I've been gone a long time, but I'm still a frequent flyer, and I still have to deal with the TSA and their "adventures."

Having recently discovered WhiteHouse.gov's We The People petition area, I have set up a petition calling for the scaling back of the TSA. In case you're not familiar with this system, it promises an official response to a petition aftern 25,000 signatures have been reached within 30 days. I figured this group would be the most likely to get on board!

Here is the link to the petition. Please consider signing it. Anyone with access to FaceBook or Twitter might consider advertising it there as well, as I don't have access to either (what a neanderrthal!).

Thanks
Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Sorry, but your petition is worthless. What does "scale back" the TSA mean?

Are you asking the government to reduce the agency's responsibilities or the size of its work force? There is a very big difference. I don't think anyone here would want the TSA to have 50% less screeners while having them do the same things they are doing today. That would result in nothing but longer lines.

If you are asking for something, be specific.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Well, I figured it was obvious what I was after. I'm willing to bet a sizable chunk of money that no-one really thinks I'm looking to simply cut 50% of the screeners.

Did you read the petition? I thought this paragraph:
Between the new x-ray scanners which look under your clothing to confiscating insulin and contact lens solution, between the pat-downs that border on sexual assault to the insane fixation on checking IDs, the TSA has added immensely to the stress of air travel, and all to no end.
was succinct enough.

And, hey, it's more likely to be effective than continuing to write my Congressmen.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 2:11 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
No, it was far from specific enough. Say exactly what you want.

Do you want a 25% reduction in screeners? 50%? 75%?

In addition, what functions do you want ended (which would allow this reduction)?

Do you want them not to work at any areas other than airports? (No train stations, bus terminals, etc).

Do you want them to end all gate checks?

Do you want to stop all ID checks? How do you propose they clear alarms set off by the metal detectors other than pat downs? Give both your objections and solutions which will reduce the number of screeners to the degree that you want.

Don't even dream that a petition without these items will be looked at seriously even if signed by 100,000 Americans. It won't be.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 5:31 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
It has been done and the result turned out pretty much as expected.

Our government does not seem to be interested in redress of grievances.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 9:14 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Has an online petition ever done anything? (Besides get everyone who signed the whitehouse.gov one on the TSA mailing/watch list.) Snopes does not seem to think so. I tend to agree.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:34 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by tev9999
Has an online petition ever done anything? (Besides get everyone who signed the whitehouse.gov one on the TSA mailing/watch list.) Snopes does not seem to think so. I tend to agree.
Correct.

In the general aviation fees petition, they trotted out someone from OPM to state why they needed to do what they're doing. No hint of any listening to the petitioners, just an excuse to put forth propaganda and put folks on a mailing list.

Total waste of time and resources.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 4:34 pm

We're watching season three of the miniseries "The Tudors" right now. Watching how King Henry VIII dealt with his subjects who protested the destruction of their abbeys reminded me of how our Federal Government deals with protests about TSA and other ways the government erodes our freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by halls120
We're watching season three of the miniseries "The Tudors" right now. Watching how King Henry VIII dealt with his subjects who protested the destruction of their abbeys reminded me of how our Federal Government deals with protests about TSA and other ways the government erodes our freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution.
If you're enjoying 'The Tudors' (and seeing eerily familiar government tactics), wait till you watch 'The Borgias'...
Old Jan 14, 2012, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Well, that's depressing indeed. I too have generally little regard for online petitions, but I figured this was a little more above board, being from the White House and all.

It's quite disappointing, but not especially surprising, to read the results of that other attempt.

Dovster, my apologies for the non-specific nature of this petition. It struck me as being self-explanatory.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 8:06 pm

Funny: I had the exact same reaction!

Originally Posted by chollie
If you're enjoying 'The Tudors' (and seeing eerily familiar government tactics), wait till you watch 'The Borgias'...
Worth it? I watched the pilot episode that came on one of The Tudors discs. It seemed interesting, but I couldn't decide if it was worth the time investment. I'm waaaaaaaaaaaay behind on both my Jersey Shore and True Blood!
Old Jan 14, 2012, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by barbell
Funny: I had the exact same reaction!

Worth it? I watched the pilot episode that came on one of The Tudors discs. It seemed interesting, but I couldn't decide if it was worth the time investment. I'm waaaaaaaaaaaay behind on both my Jersey Shore and True Blood!
I've only seen a couple episodes (I have to watch it when I fly!). The first one was mostly about establishing who the players are at a pivotal moment - the beginning of Cesare's rise to power. It starts picking up pace in the second episode.

Jersey Shore! Dude, you got a situation going on! GTL!
Old Jan 16, 2012, 7:10 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
It gets even "better": Link to EPIC article.

Richard Nixon would be so proud...
Old Jan 16, 2012, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
It gets even "better": Link to EPIC article.

Richard Nixon would be so proud...
Jonathan Turley neatly frames our road to becoming a police state in Sunday's Washington Post. Here is an summary:

10 reasons the U.S. is no longer the land of the free

By Jonathan Turley, Published: January 13

Every year, the State Department issues reports on individual rights in other countries, monitoring the passage of restrictive laws and regulations around the world.

Even as we pass judgment on countries we consider unfree, Americans remain confident that any definition of a free nation must include their own — the land of free. Yet, the laws and practices of the land should shake that confidence. In the decade since Sept. 11, 2001, this country has comprehensively reduced civil liberties in the name of an expanded security state. The most recent example of this was the National Defense Authorization Act, signed Dec. 31, which allows for the indefinite detention of citizens. At what point does the reduction of individual rights in our country change how we define ourselves?

The list of powers acquired by the U.S. government since 9/11 puts us in rather troubling company.

Assassination of U.S. citizens

Indefinite detention

Arbitrary justice

Warrantless searches

Secret evidence

War crimes

Secret court

Immunity from judicial review

Continual monitoring of citizens

Extraordinary renditions

Since 9/11, we have created the very government the framers feared: a government with sweeping and largely unchecked powers resting on the hope that they will be used wisely.

The indefinite-detention provision in the defense authorization bill seemed to many civil libertarians like a betrayal by Obama. While the president had promised to veto the law over that provision, Levin, a sponsor of the bill, disclosed on the Senate floor that it was in fact the White House that approved the removal of any exception for citizens from indefinite detention.

Dishonesty from politicians is nothing new for Americans. The real question is whether we are lying to ourselves when we call this country the land of the free.

Old Jan 16, 2012, 9:14 am
Suspended

Shouldn't

Secret laws

be added to that list?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.