FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   Newspaper shocked that EWR TSO actually turned in $5000 that he found at airport (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1301235-newspaper-shocked-ewr-tso-actually-turned-5000-he-found-airport.html)

RatherBeOnATrain Jan 11, 2012 9:16 am

Newspaper shocked that EWR TSO actually turned in $5000 that he found at airport

There is a very telling tone in this article about a happening at Newark:

The Star-Ledger
TSA screener turns in $5K found on Newark airport floor

Published: Wednesday, January 11, 2012, 7:00 AM

A short quote:
But on Dec. 27, [TSO John] Deschamp made an unusual discovery and, by some accounts, what he did next was just remarkable.

While making his rounds at about 8:30 a.m. inside Terminal C, Deschamp, a supervisory screening officer for the Transportation Security Administration, found a roll of cash — $5,000 in all — on the floor of the second level.
The article then describes how TSO Deschamp turned a lost-and-found item (the cash) over to the proper authorities. He acted as any honest human being would.

The article also says:
Deschamp has received plenty of praise from his superiors at the TSA, an agency beset by a stream of embarrassing headlines about screeners groping grandmothers, stealing cash from carry-ons, or letting weapons slip through checkpoints.

"This is a premier example of a TSA officer instinctively doing the right thing," said Newark’s top TSA official, Donald Drummer.

uncertaintraveler Jan 11, 2012 9:21 am

Didn't read the article, but I think that most people would be a little shocked to hear of someone turning in $5K, regardless of what job the person turning in the find has (subject to certain exceptions, of course).

chollie Jan 11, 2012 9:56 am

Don't want to sound cynical, and maybe it's just because of a comment I just read in another, unrelated thread, but I wonder if it was a 'sting' of some sort.

Either way, kudos to him for doing what he's supposed to do.

Boggie Dog Jan 11, 2012 10:18 am

Even a blind squirrel will find the occasional acorn.

Burfey Jan 11, 2012 10:26 am

One of Bob's self-congratulating "great finds" for the week?

FliesWay2Much Jan 11, 2012 10:49 am

I'm not a screening clerk nor do I play one on TV...

Back in 1980, I was at JFK waiting to catch a red-eye back to the west coast, in my younger days where red-eyes were survivable. I was off in an unoccupied gate area just to get away from the crowds. I sat down in an empty row of seats. I looked down and saw an eyeglass case in the chair next to me. I picked up the eyeglass case thinking there was a pair of glasses inside. I was hoping they person also left lost & found info.

When I opened up the case, I found 5 brand new and neatly folded $100 bills. (I found a couple of inflation websites and, as far as I can tell, $500 in 1980 is worth about $1500 today.) My very first thought, as someone upstream suggested, that this was bait for a sting. I also thought it might have been a "dead drop" for some sort of espionage operation.

I took the case with the money back to the security checkpoint. (I would NEVER do that today!) The contractor screeners directed me to the nearby Port Authority cop. He had me fill out a lost & found form and told me that the money would be mine if nobody claimed it within a year.

Sure enough, in the spring of 1981, I received a $500 check from the Port Authority police. Mrs Flies & I were married later that year, and the $500 put a huge dent in our honeymoon bill.

This clerk did the right thing, and I'm sure he doesn't want the publicity. You know that Blogdad Bob is going to play this up like crazy. Somebody in TSA Public Affairs would have had to tip off the Newark media for them to run a story like this in the first place. Heck, how come I never had an article written about me: "Air Force First Lieutenant Finds $500 at JFK and Turns It In To Lost & Found."

tkey75 Jan 11, 2012 11:02 am

Just last week I was in MCO leaning on an ATM, waiting. A Smartcart guy comes and fiddles with the ATM for a few minutes, then leaves. About 5 minutes later, the machine beeps and out pops $300 and a receipt. I grabbed the cash and receipt which said the guy had $7 left. I still needed to wait, but was going to bring it to the Smartcart office (is there one?) when the guy returned about 10 minutes later on his phone with the bank. I was glad to return the guy's last $300 to him and so was he. A line of people waited to thank me for being a good citizen. No thanks was necessary. I'm just glad he got his $$ back. Still waiting, I warned a half dozen other people of the malfunctioning ATM.

doober Jan 12, 2012 11:45 am

I heard the screener in question interviewed on the radio yesterday. He said that the TSA and its screening force has had such bad press recently that he felt he needed to come forward with some good news.

N830MH Jan 13, 2012 12:35 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 17793037)
Even a blind squirrel will find the occasional acorn.

Gosh! Not another TSA thieves yet again! :mad::mad:

Remember what happened TSA supervisor was arrested that he is accused to steals the cash from passenger's bag.

clrankin Jan 13, 2012 8:58 am

Originally Posted by doober (Post 17800928)
I heard the screener in question interviewed on the radio yesterday. He said that the TSA and its screening force has had such bad press recently that he felt he needed to come forward with some good news.

I wonder if the screener in question feels a little like a guy standing on the beach watching a tsunami coming at him...