TSA's attitude toward the customer

Old Dec 30, 2011, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by gsoltso
While it may seem to be the case, that is a pretty silly attitude. Most of the folks coming through are not necessarily in an element they are used to. The business travelers have an edge, in that they have more experience and time in the airport enviornment, but they are not always certain of what is going on either. Casual travlers have no clue what is going on, simply because they (in many cases) have had 14 people tell them 14 different things, and by the time they get into the checkpoint area, they have read about half of the signs, and none of them josh with what the 14 people have told them. When you get into an unfamiliar situation, there will always be some element of confusion, this is usually resolved fairly easily by the TSOs talking to you or answering questions (which is what is supposed to happen). It is not that the folks coming through are stupid, just unused to what is going on and not always on the same sheet of music. TSOs should slow down and talk more to the passengers - not yell at them, or bark at them - just talk to them. I would venture that tons of problem situations at checkpoints could have been resolved by a TSO taking 30 seconds and communicating with the passengers.
Here lies a lot of the problem. A passenger is treated like a mentally slow 2 year old because at one airport the laptop is out of the bag in its own tray, 2 hours later, the laptop is on top of the laptop bag. The same case with shoes - in the tray, out of the tray?...it varies from airport to airport. Is chapstick a gel? in the ziploc bag? out of it? It seems no matter what I do or what was right at one airport, is very different at the next. And I have not even tried a cupcake yet! Nor have I ever needed to opt out or get patted down. I am a normal customer of the airline just trying to board the plane with minimal hassle.

I am smart. I own my own company. I get along just fine in day to day life until I am at an airport apparently.

I don't appreciate as a paying customer of the airline being yelled at like a naughty child because I did not do something 'right'. I am trying. But airport to airport, TSA employee to TSA employee has a different view on very basic things.

The same basic rules, not the super secret element of surprise for the terrorist rules need to apply airport to airport.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're right...The One & Only customer of the TSA is...

Originally Posted by VelvetJones
I didn't think that the TSA view travelers as customers. I thought we were all consider terrorist suspects until "cleared" by their highly skilled TSOs.
...Congress.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
How on Earth am I expected to know the rules? They are way too many of them, change constantly and make no sense whatsoever.
And the TSA apparently promotes incorrect information.

A few weeks ago I was at one of the largest airports in the US, listening to blaring messages outside the terminal that liquids less than 3oz were permitted past the checkpoint.

This is false.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Nice in theory, seldom applied in practice. Whether by training or repetition, most TSO's project an image of control and authority. They do not project comfort and assistance. It may be the uniform or the seriousness that they have been told the job entails. If they have been taught that everybody they see is there to potentially kill someone, then it is hard to make small talk and be friendly with a bunch of potential murderers.
I hate to be a broken record, but why does this not occur at other airports around the world? Take an airport like FRA, one of the largest hubs, with thousands of people travelling every day who do not speak German or English, who are first time or very infrequent travellers, who come from places with different rules, etc etc.

And yet the attitude tends to be very different towards those who make errors, or bring something not permitted. They are not shouted at, barked at, belittled, etc. Usually they are treated with respect, and given options (checking the item, drinking the item, purchasing a 1 litre bag, etc)

There is such a significant difference in the culture of TSA, and the lack of professionalism of the position, compared to security in other parts of the world.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 8:11 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by lyric1863
....[good content, edited for brevity]

I don't appreciate as a paying customer of the airline being yelled at like a naughty child because I did not do something 'right'. I am trying. But airport to airport, TSA employee to TSA employee has a different view on very basic things.

The same basic rules, not the super secret element of surprise for the terrorist rules need to apply airport to airport.
I agree with you completely.

Furthermore, I notice that airports OUTSIDE the USA manage quite well without the barking, the shouting, or even a screener telling each person what to do. I don't observe any level of confusion, even among apparently infrequent travellers.

What I observe in Australia, NZ, Japan, Singapore and numerous European airports is that people queue up and do what the people in front of them do. @:-) If they have a question they ask one of the security people, who answers politely and quietly to that one person. If the screener notices a "mistake" like liquids left in the bag or jacket not removed, they quietly correct the passenger and help them resolve the issue; they don't point them out as an example and yell instructions at the rest of the line. Yes, it means that they probably have to tell dozens of people the same thing rather than shouting it once , but they seem to understand that that's part of the job.

The other problem is that the TSA has made the process so complicated (compared to pre-9/11 or to other countries). Formerly it was: 1) metal out of pockets, 2) put bag on x-ray conveyor, 3) WTMD, 4) collect bag. Now there's the ID/BP check (and maybe a second one ) with unpredictable combinations of ID presented vs IDs accepted by this specific TDC. Then it's metal out of pockets, laptops out, shoes off, jackets off, belts off, liquids out. Then there's the WTMD vs NoS lottery and the NoS vs opt out decision, and then the opt-out-patdown explanation or the post-NoS patdown. Then the passenger has to collect shoes, jacket, belt and redress, and liquids and laptop and repack. Instead of removing some of these steps (seriously, the TDC could go without any decrease in 'security') and then, as lyric said, making the rest consistent, the TSA keeps adding 'layers' and rewarding inconsistency, and then complains that it's the passengers who don't know what they're doing.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 9:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
The other problem is that the TSA has made the process so complicated (compared to pre-9/11 or to other countries). Formerly it was: 1) metal out of pockets, 2) put bag on x-ray conveyor, 3) WTMD, 4) collect bag. Now there's the ID/BP check (and maybe a second one ) with unpredictable combinations of ID presented vs IDs accepted by this specific TDC. Then it's metal out of pockets, laptops out, shoes off, jackets off, belts off, liquids out. Then there's the WTMD vs NoS lottery and the NoS vs opt out decision, and then the opt-out-patdown explanation or the post-NoS patdown. Then the passenger has to collect shoes, jacket, belt and redress, and liquids and laptop and repack. Instead of removing some of these steps (seriously, the TDC could go without any decrease in 'security') and then, as lyric said, making the rest consistent, the TSA keeps adding 'layers' and rewarding inconsistency, and then complains that it's the passengers who don't know what they're doing.
You left out random 'Kindles/all electronics out' and shoes on/off the belt (that's really important at some checkpoints).
Old Dec 30, 2011, 9:35 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by exbayern
I hate to be a broken record, but why does this not occur at other airports around the world? Take an airport like FRA, one of the largest hubs, with thousands of people travelling every day who do not speak German or English, who are first time or very infrequent travellers, who come from places with different rules, etc etc.

And yet the attitude tends to be very different towards those who make errors, or bring something not permitted. They are not shouted at, barked at, belittled, etc. Usually they are treated with respect, and given options (checking the item, drinking the item, purchasing a 1 litre bag, etc)

There is such a significant difference in the culture of TSA, and the lack of professionalism of the position, compared to security in other parts of the world.

It is because Americans, and by that I mean U.S.A. citizens, are taught that they are superior to everyone else in the world. The less educated the person the more prevalent the belief. They often spend entire lives never interacting with people of other regions in the U.S. much less people from different countries. People in the south are taught to not like northerners. Northerners are taught that southerners are stupid. California is derided as the land of fruits and nuts. Coastal dwellers look down their noses at flyover dwellers. If one is foreign or unusual or does not speak English, they are viewed with suspicion.

I can say this as I am one, a U.S. citizen, that is. I travel all over the country and I run into these attitudes everywhere I go. No area is immune. None. I do not care where you live in the U.S. there is a significant portion of your cohabitants that are rude, misunderstanding, ignorant or generally unknowing about people in areas outside your particular region.

The only ones that seem to have learned otherwise are highly frequent travelers. There are good people working in the travel industry such as hoteliers and airline personnel. National sales and service people are also different.

Airport employees surprisingly are not, except those that work for the airlines. This includes the TSA. Restaurants, particularly those that do not cater to upper level customers, are also regional centered.

It is the way it is. As a southerner, I constantly find people that are surprised I wear shoes, that I have some intelligence, that I understand various cultures, that I speak in whole sentences and avoid regional slang, that I do not drive a pickup truck with a gun in the window (I have a pick up and a gun, just not in the window), and that I am not married to my cousin. My southern friends are surprised to learn that not all Yankees are arrogant, insufferable boors, although a few are. Most Californians are nice, decent folks. City dwellers are okay, but we do not understand how they can live so close together no matter how much they may like art, opera and ballet.

If we can not respect our own fellow citizens across regions, how suspicious must we be about foreigners, you know, the ones that have never even bothered to learn a simple language like English? Sheesh, how hard could it be, I did? Foreigners have weird customs, traditions and religions. They wear funny clothes. Some of them want to kill us. It is the reason we have the TSA, don't ya know?

Like most people all over the world, I love where I live. It is familiar and comfortable like a well-worn shirt. It is where my family and friends live. For many years, but not so much any more, it was the dream of folks to live here, the "Land of Liberty." We are not that so much anymore. We have sacrificed our liberty on the altar of safety and security and we are the worse for it. If anything, we have become more suspicious of "different" people.

I am privileged to have a job where I meet nice folks from just about everywhere. I have learned that despite our differences, and they are legion, that in the end we all want to work at something we can do well, get paid close to what we are worth, be respected for the value we contribute and have time left over to play with the kids and spend times with our significant others, to use the modern term.

Our problem seems to be a uniquely American curse.

I am saddened that more do not have the opportunity to learn differently as I have. We are too vast geographically to interact with ourselves on a constant basis and we are isolated by two oceans from most of the people in the world. Even our two neighbors are beginning to distrust us.

I have gone on too long. But you asked. Europeans have a cultural interdependency that we have never nurtured with even Canada or Mexico. Asia, as vast as it is, has a remarkable history of shared values and customs. South America has a lot of shared heritage as well. It is similar with the African subcontinent, although less so with the northern Africa and the odd old former colony at the southern tip. The near and middle east is a mess, but it has always been a mess, and is curiously a shared mess and creates a strange and strained sort of unstable stability, at least for now. Australia and New Zealand seem to be their own little paradises that seem to get along with about everyone.

So the short answer is that the TSA is made up of fairly typical Americans, ignorant of everyone except themselves, their family, and the world within a one day drive. Maybe the best training program for the TSA, as expensive as it would be, would be to make them put on regular clothes, get on an airplane and fly somewhere where the people are not like they are. Stay a while. Get to know them, eat their food and observe and respect their customs. Learn to really understand their beliefs in the supernatural, however it may be expressed, if expressed at all.

I have got to end this with an answer. We really do not treat foreigners any different than we treat each other. We do not understand each other. We do not understand foreigners. We are equal opportunity irritants.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 2:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
^^

Ink, your posts are always great, but you've really outdone yourself tonight. Absolutely terrific post, spot on.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 7:59 am

Spot on Ink!
Old Dec 31, 2011, 8:48 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe
It is because Americans, and by that I mean U.S.A. citizens, are taught that they are superior to everyone else in the world. The less educated the person the more prevalent the belief.

Our problem seems to be a uniquely American curse.

I am saddened that more do not have the opportunity to learn differently as I have. We are too vast geographically to interact with ourselves on a constant basis and we are isolated by two oceans from most of the people in the world. Even our two neighbors are beginning to distrust us.

So the short answer is that the TSA is made up of fairly typical Americans, ignorant of everyone except themselves, their family, and the world within a one day drive. Maybe the best training program for the TSA, as expensive as it would be, would be to make them put on regular clothes, get on an airplane and fly somewhere where the people are not like they are. Stay a while. Get to know them, eat their food and observe and respect their customs. Learn to really understand their beliefs in the supernatural, however it may be expressed, if expressed at all.

We really do not treat foreigners any different than we treat each other. We do not understand each other. We do not understand foreigners. We are equal opportunity irritants.
Wonderfully stated Ink.

I have had the pleasure and opportunity to reside abroad and lead teams in Asia, Europe and the US for the past 3 years.

America is a nation in early adolescence and as such is prone to youthful idealism, naďveté, and the desire to control world around them. It is subject to outbursts of violence and compassion.

Americans do "need to get out more" and engage the world on their terms and not their own. Only then will we develop a broader understanding. Only then will we gather respect.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:21 am

Thank you Ink for taking the time to write that carefully thought out reply.

Let me start by saying that I am well aware that every country, culture, region has its share of idiots, and small-minded people. I have travelled to almost every state in the US and spent significant amounts of time working and holidaying there. I have also spent time in countries all over the world. I do as well spend a lot of time on a small number of travel-related message boards, and most are English language (I haven't found any significant, interesting, diverse ones in any other language)

But it does seem that there is a unique mindset, especially amongst the infrequent travellers, or those who have not been outside the US in their lifetime (and many seem to have no desire to do so). Even here on FT I sense it at times. (How often for instance do we see FTers convinced that the TSA rules are applicable all around the world?)

fish, your comment about adolescence is also interesting.

Again, I appreciate the responses.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:37 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by exbayern

fish, your comment about adolescence is also interesting.

Again, I appreciate the responses.
Thanks to each of you for reading an excessively long post.

Adolescence is a good description. An old building where I live is 100 years old. In New England, I see them that are 300 years old or more from time to time. That should give an indication to the rest of the world how historically "immature" we are over here. 300 years old in parts of Europe is a modern development. And compared to East Asia and the Ancient Near East, Europe is a relative newcomer.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Whether by training or repetition, most TSO's project an image of control and authority.
Ironically, though, screaming at passengers doesn't project control or authority. It bespeaks desperation and makes everything worse. In parenting, when you lose your shirt and start yelling at your kids, it means you're out of energy and ideas and are resorting to brutalism. It doesn't solve problems or improve your relationship with your children. TSA is in the same boat.

I notice that airports OUTSIDE the USA manage quite well without the barking, the shouting, or even a screener telling each person what to do... If the screener notices a "mistake" like liquids left in the bag or jacket not removed, they quietly correct the passenger and help them... it means that they probably have to tell dozens of people the same thing rather than shouting it once , but they seem to understand that that's part of the job.
You are quite correct. I have never had a screener in Europe or Asia yell at me the way TSOs routinely yell at visitors from Europe or Asia.

In fact, to prove your point, I was passing through FRA earlier this month with my E-Z Scan briefcase, where the laptop stays in. I unzipped it to expose the laptop sleeve and it was headed through the scanner when the woman in charge stopped me gently and explained that Germany doesn't recognize the E-Z Scan bags -- but in an utterly friendly way, apologetic rather than corrective. She ended up asking me if she could show the bag to her colleagues as some hadn't seen one before. It was a perfectly civil exchange in a combination of English and my pidgin German, of the sort you never, ever see at US checkpoints. All arising from her baseline assumption that I was what I was -- a tired, rumpled businessman on my way to work -- and not an ignorant maniac with mayhem on my mind.

TSA has made the process so complicated (compared to pre-9/11 or to other countries)... the TSA keeps adding 'layers' and rewarding inconsistency, and then complains that it's the passengers who don't know what they're doing.
That "strategic inconsistency" is a cover story for an out-of-control corps of essentially amateur (compared to rest-of-world) screeners that resists training or sanctions. When you can't change something so visible, you claim it's part of your master plan (cf. Pee Wee Herman: "I meant to do that"). TSA is lumbered with non-professionals whom they can neither improve nor fire. Therefore, they meant to do that, and their lapses and abuses are policy... and any failure to comprehend or comply is your fault.

Americans, and by that I mean U.S.A. citizens, are taught that they are superior to everyone else in the world. The less educated the person the more prevalent the belief.
The same is true for certain classes of Britons, where security is much more effective and less abusive / ridiculous than in the US. I would gently disagree that Babbitry and local chauvinism / ignorance are a "uniquely American curse"; Britain has its ignorant yobs whose worldview is defined by vacations on Spanish beaches in search of Watney's Red Barrel (cf. Monty Python). But your point, indeed your whole post, is well taken.

TSA is made up of fairly typical Americans, ignorant of everyone except themselves, their family, and the world within a one day drive. Maybe the best training program for the TSA, as expensive as it would be, would be to make them put on regular clothes, get on an airplane and fly somewhere... We do not understand each other. We do not understand foreigners. We are equal opportunity irritants.
Absolutely right. Especially when you consider the socioeconomic strata attracted to TSO work... for many, it's this or deliver Pizza Hut in an '88 Corolla. London or Paris might as well be Neptune or Pluto.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:31 pm

Thanks to each of you for reading an excessively long post.

Adolescence is a good description. An old building where I live is 100 years old. In New England, I see them that are 300 years old or more from time to time. That should give an indication to the rest of the world how historically "immature" we are over here. 300 years old in parts of Europe is a modern development. And compared to East Asia and the Ancient Near East, Europe is a relative newcomer.
This is so true.

When I was working with some folks in Zurich we decided, over beers, that the biggest difference between Americans and Europeans was that Americans thought that 200 years was a long time... and Europeans thought that 200 miles was a long distance.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fishferbrains
Wonderfully stated Ink.

I have had the pleasure and opportunity to reside abroad and lead teams in Asia, Europe and the US for the past 3 years.

America is a nation in early adolescence and as such is prone to youthful idealism, naďveté, and the desire to control world around them. It is subject to outbursts of violence and compassion.

Americans do "need to get out more" and engage the world on their terms and not their own. Only then will we develop a broader understanding. Only then will we gather respect.
IOW, still in the "it's all about me" stage.

Great post, Ink. I enjoy reading everything you write.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.