We can only hope this comes to pass

Old Nov 28, 2011, 6:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

We can only hope this comes to pass

A better idea would be to close the entire agency, but this would be a good start.

Extended pay freeze, layoffs likely
By STEPHEN LOSEY | Last Updated:November 28, 2011

The supercommittee's failure to strike a deficit deal and triggering of $1.2 trillion in sequestration cuts could prompt the most drastic government realignment since the Clinton administration.

The sequestration cuts technically begin in January 2013, but experts say agencies will probably start laying the groundwork this fiscal year to prepare for those budget reductions. That's likely to mean 2012 will see a hiring freeze, buyouts and early outs, and maybe even layoffs through reductions-in-force to start bringing payroll costs down.

Agencies could be forced to cut tens of thousands of vital jobs, such as Border Patrol, FBI and other law enforcement agents, Transportation Security Administration screeners and air traffic controllers.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by halls120
A better idea would be to close the entire agency, but this would be a good start.
I will add my hope that Border Patrol will get some cuts. I am tired of their checkpoint harrassment.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 7:12 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by halls120
Here is my plan: For all of them, cut 1% per month until they are missed, then stop the cuts. If not missed, they go away. Problem solved.

(Just 3 polysyllabic words! Well, 4 now. Does the "%" count?)
Old Nov 28, 2011, 9:10 am

Programs: AC SE100K
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I, for one, love the polysyllabic words - so nice to hear (read?)
Old Nov 28, 2011, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Here is my plan: For all of them, cut 1% per month until they are missed, then stop the cuts. If not missed, they go away. Problem solved.

The problem is that they can create a situation wherein they are missed by just deliberately permitting security lines to become horrendous. Once folks start missing flights after standing in lines for hours, they will demand that TSA hire more employees, not that the agency be disbanded.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 9:46 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The problem is that they can create a situation wherein they are missed by just deliberately permitting security lines to become horrendous.
Exactly. The TSA has expanded its procedures[sic] to the point where the current staffing levels are necessary to perform (I use the term loosely) them.

Reducing staff would present two options:
a) dispense with some of current procedures
b) perpetuate current procedures using fewer staff.

Now really, which do you think the TSA would select ?
Then extrapolate as to what the effect on going through 'security' would be.

http://picardfacepalm.com/
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The problem is that they can create a situation wherein they are missed by just deliberately permitting security lines to become horrendous. Once folks start missing flights after standing in lines for hours, they will demand that TSA hire more employees, not that the agency be disbanded.
Perhaps. It might also be the straw that breaks the camels back.
Of course funding for tsa is going to be drastically cut. Among other expenditures. Or has no one noticed the seizing up of the bond market in Europe, denying government funding across the board. for exactly this reason...no more money.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nachtnebel
Perhaps. It might also be the straw that breaks the camels back.
Of course funding for tsa is going to be drastically cut. Among other expenditures. Or has no one noticed the seizing up of the bond market in Europe, denying government funding across the board. for exactly this reason...no more money.
The overwhelming proportion of the TSA's budget is people. So, they are not likely to cut acquisition programs, such as more Cancer Machines or other invasive and draconian devices. One would think that the first things to go would be the intrusions on other forms of transportation using the VIPR teams or their attacks on general aviation. But, they could declare that these are essential missions and push more of the funding on the states.

I agree that they can manipulate visible signs at airports to make life miserable when the budget squeeze comes
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:38 am

Why wouldn't they simply seek to increase the "9/11" fee we're charged?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:44 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Mikey likes it
Why wouldn't they simply seek to increase the "9/11" fee we're charged?
They are trying but so far Congress will not go along.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:48 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Exactly. The TSA has expanded its procedures[sic] to the point where the current staffing levels are necessary to perform (I use the term loosely) them.

Reducing staff would present two options:
a) dispense with some of current procedures
b) perpetuate current procedures using fewer staff.

Now really, which do you think the TSA would select ?
Then extrapolate as to what the effect on going through 'security' would be.

Here, I fixed it for you. =)
Old Nov 28, 2011, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Critic
Here, I fixed it for you. =)
Thanks, didn't realize images were allowed here !
Old Nov 28, 2011, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
The overwhelming proportion of the TSA's budget is people. So, they are not likely to cut acquisition programs, such as more Cancer Machines or other invasive and draconian devices. One would think that the first things to go would be the intrusions on other forms of transportation using the VIPR teams or their attacks on general aviation. But, they could declare that these are essential missions and push more of the funding on the states.

I agree that they can manipulate visible signs at airports to make life miserable when the budget squeeze comes
Push funding to the states? That's too funny. The states all need bailouts, except maybe North Dakota.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9650; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.524 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by nachtnebel

Push funding to the states? That's too funny. The states all need bailouts, except maybe North Dakota.
The states & local governments gladly shell out tax dollars in support of VIPR exercises and train/bus/truck harassments. The TSA could decide that the states should reimburse the TSA for their VIPR costs.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 4:57 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9650; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.524 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

The states & local governments gladly shell out tax dollars in support of VIPR exercises and train/bus/truck harassments. The TSA could decide that the states should reimburse the TSA for their VIPR costs.
HAVE gladly shelled out. Things are tightening up in a major way; very unlikely to continue as cities and counties keep spiraling toward bankruptcy as state gov't takes more money from them, to where they can't afford police, fire, and pensions. Take a look at student protests in ca...only the beginning.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.