Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Another case of boarding pass/ID mismatch not being caught

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2011, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Woman Takes Flight With Wrong Boarding Pass

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/video/#!/o...Pass/134575428

(Put aside the hysteria of the passenger about how this poses a security threat.) A Delta ticketing agent gave a passenger the boarding pass of another passenger on the same flight with a similar name, even after that passenger had already checked in. The TDC didn't catch it. Expect name-saying nonsense at FLL.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 6:57 am

And the plane didn't blow up? How could this be?

TSA Clerk: State your name.
Me: Your name
TSA: No, tell me your first and last name.
Me: First and last name
TSA: Tell me what your first and last name are.
Me: Do I want to fly today
TSA: Do you want to fly today???
Me: Yes. May I go now?

And the TSA theatrics continue...
Old Nov 28, 2011, 7:24 am
Original Poster

It's sad that the TSA has so inculcated an environment of fear and security theater that a screwup by a ticketing agent is not viewed as just that, but as a MASSIVE SECURITY SCREWUP.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 7:53 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Does Delta scan BPs at the door? because it should have indicated she already boarded.
It was a simple mistake by the Check-in Agent as people get multiple BPs for several reasons.
Anything that proves that TSA agents aren't providing actual security is fine by me.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by armattheus
Does Delta scan BPs at the door? because it should have indicated she already boarded.
Yes. Indeed it should have.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 8:41 am

This August, I was with my parents and wife at MHT, checking in to go back to TLH. The tickets had been purchased with my dad's credit card, and sure enough, the ticketing agent printed all twelve (four people; three flights) BPs with my dad's name on them. We noticed this soon after walking away, went back, and they were quickly able to re-print them.

The TDC there looked pretty intent on comparing the name on my passport to my BP, and he even put a purple squiggly mark on my BP, which probably changes color if I'm a terrorist, just like counterfeit detecting pens.

Originally Posted by saulblum
Woman Takes Flight With Wrong Boarding Pass

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/video/#!/o...Pass/134575428

(Put aside the hysteria of the passenger about how this poses a security threat.) A Delta ticketing agent gave a passenger the boarding pass of another passenger on the same flight with a similar name, even after that passenger had already checked in. The TDC didn't catch it. Expect name-saying nonsense at FLL.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 9:53 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by ScatterX
And the plane didn't blow up? How could this be?
Obviously just sheer luck.

We should all be eternally grateful that such an egregious lapse in security did not result in a jumbo full of 'mericans plummeting from the sky.

Yawn.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:51 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Obviously just sheer luck.

We should all be eternally grateful that such an egregious lapse in security did not result in a jumbo full of 'mericans plummeting from the sky.

Yawn.
Must have been one of those other layers.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

The TSA chimes in with its usual "layers" excuse.

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/n...boarding-pass/

TSA released a statement saying, "TSA is reviewing allegations that document verification procedures were not followed properly at Fort Lauderdale Airport. Passengers are subject to a robust security system that employs multiple layers, including watch list matching, thorough screening at the checkpoint, Federal Air Marshals, armed pilots and a vigilant public, as well as many others, both seen and unseen. The system is designed so if one layer of security does not meet our standards, there are many others in place to ensure the safety of the traveling public."
Old Nov 28, 2011, 3:21 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by saulblum
The TSA chimes in with its usual "layers" excuse.

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/n...boarding-pass/
Yes, and I'm sure that a later statement will assure us all that "the mistake made by the TDC, whose only job at the time was to read the name on an ID then read the name on a BP and say 'no' if they aren't the same, does not reflect on the relative intelligence of the 65,000 other hard-working TSOs across the country who also read names from each hand and say 'yes' or 'no'..."
Old Nov 28, 2011, 3:30 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
Here's where they get them

So, that's where they got the TSA agents
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=137134

Old Nov 28, 2011, 5:52 pm

Is the TSA suggesting that any of the other layers of security (Federal Air Marshals, vigilant public, etc....pick one!) can be substituted for the layer that was missed in this case? Or are they suggesting that there is a redundant method of matching passengers to boarding passes?

Or did they, once again, use a collection of words to form a statement...and hope that no one would notice that it's utter nonsense?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 6:05 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
My first thought when I saw this on the local news last night was what kind of idiot doesn't read her boarding pass until she gets on the airplane?

Not saying the rest of it doesn't matter, but really, you don't check your details before you leave the counter?

This is actually a case where the proposed scanners would catch the miss match, even if the names are very close.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cordelli
My first thought when I saw this on the local news last night was what kind of idiot doesn't read her boarding pass until she gets on the airplane?

Not saying the rest of it doesn't matter, but really, you don't check your details before you leave the counter?

This is actually a case where the proposed scanners would catch the miss match, even if the names are very close.
I tend to glance more at the flight number and gate than I do my name. I assume my name will be correct.

Yes, the scanners would catch the mismatch. And I'm sure the scanner manufacturers are salivating after hearing of this and are knocking at Pistole's door.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheGolfWidow
Is the TSA suggesting that any of the other layers of security (Federal Air Marshals, vigilant public, etc....pick one!) can be substituted for the layer that was missed in this case? Or are they suggesting that there is a redundant method of matching passengers to boarding passes?

Or did they, once again, use a collection of words to form a statement...and hope that no one would notice that it's utter nonsense?
The latter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.