Wiki Posts
Search

Terrorists - Pick a Rainy Day!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2011, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
Terrorists - Pick a Rainy Day!

It's been raining here the last 3 days, and I noticed that the MMW NOS's at MIA were going crazy over wet clothing. Saw blotches all over the result monitor. The monitor looked like a checkerboard.

After 30-40 botched scans, they shut down the MMW and directed everyone through the WTMD's. Checkpoint G, Sunday.

Anyone else seen similar "anomalies"?

When a large number of passengers are very wet, the MMW IS NFG.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 8:36 pm

Programs: CO Platinum
You just figured out a new use for that bottle of water that you're carrying into the security line. Just open it up and pour the contents over your clothes. Not a banned activity! What a new and easy way to defeat the NoS.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by mulieri
You just figured out a new use for that bottle of water that you're carrying into the security line. Just open it up and pour the contents over your clothes. Not a banned activity! What a new and easy way to defeat the NoS.
Must be something in the water....
Old Oct 17, 2011, 8:50 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Note to self: Make sure to wear wet clothing when flying if the NoS ever becomes mandatory
Old Oct 17, 2011, 8:57 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by Wimpie
It's been raining here the last 3 days, and I noticed that the MMW NOS's at MIA were going crazy over wet clothing. Saw blotches all over the result monitor. The monitor looked like a checkerboard.
Maybe I'm missing something, but how did you get to see the monitor? I thought the monitor is viewed by a separate person in a closed room.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by cbn42
Maybe I'm missing something, but how did you get to see the monitor? I thought the monitor is viewed by a separate person in a closed room.
I'm talking about the ATD monitor. It is installed in all the L3's in MIA.
Everyone can see it from the secure side.

Next time it rains like he₤₤ again, I'll bring my camera.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
Note to self: Make sure to wear wet clothing when flying if the NoS ever becomes mandatory
To ensure that your patted down?
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:33 pm

Dihydrogen Monoxide is now a known threat to Fatherland Security. Ban it!
Old Oct 18, 2011, 9:22 am

Last I checked, a NoS didn't need passengers to be wet in order to be wholly ineffective at locating dangerous and/or prohibited items.

Originally Posted by Wimpie
When a large number of passengers are very wet, the MMW IS NFG.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:43 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by SATTSO
To ensure that your patted down?
To mess with and slow down an inefficient system by pointing out the flaws
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:03 pm

Programs: AAEXP, MRPLT
Mentioned this in another thread.

While observing the pattern at a MMW queue the other day, two gentlemen had their underarms flagged. Neither were patted in those areas.

Last edited by boatseller; Oct 18, 2011 at 4:14 pm
Old Oct 18, 2011, 4:26 pm

To mess with and slow down an inefficient system by pointing out the flaws
Inefficient? An interesting word; a vague word, one that can change based on a particular point of view.

As just one example, tell those passengers who I have met who have various medical replacements and/or pace makers, and have DEMANDED to be screened by AIT - and who clear WITHOUT being patted down at all, you tell them AIT is "inefficient". I am pretty sure they believe the system is actually very efficient.

As far as flaws - all system will have flaws, and again, its based on how you chose to look at it. When the BAOs provide training and walk through the WTMD WITHOUT alarm, and we KNOW they have something on them, yet no alarm, and they later show us the fully assembled IED on their body, is that efficient? Its certainly a flaw or limit with the WTMD - so if we can point out flaws with WTMD, is it silly to use them to screen people?

If you concern is about time or false alarms, is that all security should be concerned with? Are you suggesting there is and should be no trade off? As an added note I was recently screened by AIT with ATR, and it was MUCH faster than normal AIT - and I saw only 1 person patted down in my lane (and I knew that person would be patted down as they walked in the AIT because of what they left on their body. TSO asked them to remove the item, but the passenger didn't want to).

And I could go on about how the WTMD has inefficiencies, and where the AIT surpasses such out-dated technology...

So I'm a bit confused, what kind of "inefficient" are you talking about?
Old Oct 18, 2011, 4:51 pm

[QUOTE=SATTSO;17296217........ and I saw only 1 person patted down in my lane (and I knew that person would be patted down as they walked in the AIT because of what they left on their body. TSO asked them to remove the item, but the passenger didn't want to).

[/QUOTE]

Was it their prosthetic breast that they did not want to remove ?
Old Oct 18, 2011, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When the BAOs provide training and walk through the WTMD WITHOUT alarm, and we KNOW they have something on them, yet no alarm, and they later show us the fully assembled IED on their body, is that efficient?
And yet WTMD's are still allowed to be used. I guess the TSA deems the risk acceptable.
is it silly to use them to screen people?
Based on your evidence, yes.

and I knew that person would be patted down as they walked in the AIT because of what they left on their body. TSO asked them to remove the item, but the passenger didn't want to).
Well, if the TSO knew what caused the alarm and still did the pat down, that is inefficient.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 6:19 pm

Inefficient? An interesting word; a vague word, one that can change based on a particular point of view.

As just one example, tell those passengers who I have met who have various medical replacements and/or pace makers, and have DEMANDED to be screened by AIT - and who clear WITHOUT being patted down at all, you tell them AIT is "inefficient". I am pretty sure they believe the system is actually very efficient.

As far as flaws - all system will have flaws, and again, its based on how you chose to look at it. When the BAOs provide training and walk through the WTMD WITHOUT alarm, and we KNOW they have something on them, yet no alarm, and they later show us the fully assembled IED on their body, is that efficient? Its certainly a flaw or limit with the WTMD - so if we can point out flaws with WTMD, is it silly to use them to screen people?

If you concern is about time or false alarms, is that all security should be concerned with? Are you suggesting there is and should be no trade off? As an added note I was recently screened by AIT with ATR, and it was MUCH faster than normal AIT - and I saw only 1 person patted down in my lane (and I knew that person would be patted down as they walked in the AIT because of what they left on their body. TSO asked them to remove the item, but the passenger didn't want to).

And I could go on about how the WTMD has inefficiencies, and where the AIT surpasses such out-dated technology...

So I'm a bit confused, what kind of "inefficient" are you talking about?
SATTSO, you and Goalie seemed to pass in the night. His comment addressed efficiency, and your response addressed effectiveness. It's no wonder confusion abounds.

My take is that the AIT is inefficient; the unit of work per passenger cleared is higher than with the WTMD. For many purposes, it is also ineffective (although you do a good job of pointing out some corner cases where it has advantages).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.