Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Police: TSA Employee Brings Gun To Airport (Miami)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA/AS/DL/

http://www.local10.com/news/29456656/detail.html
Noticed as he was going through employee screening to the sterile area.
"According to the police report, Valdes admitted he knew it was illegal to bring a firearm into the airport and that he just "forgot." He also said the gun was not registered and he did not have a concealed weapons permit."
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:30 am

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Originally Posted by Roger_SEA
"According to the police report, Valdes admitted he knew it was illegal to bring a firearm into the airport and that he just "forgot." He also said the gun was not registered and he did not have a concealed weapons permit."
Well, I'm certainly glad that this doesn't reflect in any way on the thousands of dedicated TSA officers who toil tirelessly every day to ensure the safety of the skies of this here republic.
Does make you think, though, what happens at the airports where employee bags don't get screened? I'm sure that TSA leadership will be along right quick to plug that hole with another layer. Probably a fourth ID check of all pax or something equally effective.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:49 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
I wonder where this guy heard about the job openings at TSA - pizza box, or gas pump?

I wonder what will happen to the gun? Will it be auctioned off by the TSA?

And I also wonder if TSO Valdez will be fired, or just retrained to leave his unregistered, illegally carried handguns in the car from now on when he comes to work?
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:49 am

Programs: Star Alliance - chairman, HH - Diamond, Marriott - Platinum, TSA - Dog Dung.
Originally Posted by NY-FLA
Well, I'm certainly glad that this doesn't reflect in any way on the thousands of dedicated TSA officers who toil tirelessly every day to ensure the safety of the skies of this here republic.
Does make you think, though, what happens at the airports where employee bags don't get screened? I'm sure that TSA leadership will be along right quick to plug that hole with another layer. Probably a fourth ID check of all pax or something equally effective.
Great idea! Maybe they could incorporate further PAX searches for hidden weapons in hair and various cavities. We really need more security theater to immobilize the terrorists out there (with laughter).
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A Time-Honored Tradition Continues

Screening Clerk Valdes is following behind some pretty big footsteps. Alvin must be feeling very proud right about now. The torch has been passed...
Old Oct 12, 2011, 12:05 pm

Programs: *wood Gold
Originally Posted by WillCAD
I wonder where this guy heard about the job openings at TSA - pizza box, or gas pump?
Homeless shelter. That's why he was bringing all his belongings with him to work.

Originally Posted by WillCAD
And I also wonder if TSO Valdez will be fired, or just retrained to leave his unregistered, illegally carried handguns in the car from now on when he comes to work?
Retrained, no doubt. I'm sure that TSA won't treat him any differently than Mr. Crabtree. (Maybe TSA will even pay for his pizza and other snacks during the retraining.)

Saying that he was carrying an unregistered gun also doesn't mean much, unless FL requires that all firearms be registered. But I can't believe that he didn't break any laws by carrying a concealed weapon through the checkpoint. Where are the local law enforcement agencies to act fairly and impartially toward this person? I certainly hope he isn't getting any more preferential treatment as a result of his french blue costume.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 12:18 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I love the links at the bottom of the article to previous stories about the TSA. The stories are:

• September 13, 2011: TSA Officers Arrested On Drug Charges In Conn.
• July 8, 2011: BSO: TSA Worker Steals iPad, Electronics From Luggage
• May 6, 2010: Police: TSA Agent Attacks Co-Worker Over Penis Jokes
• July 14, 2008: TSA Employee Arrested In MIA Parking Probe
Pretty funny!
Old Oct 12, 2011, 12:30 pm

Programs: AAEXP, MRPLT
All the many incidents like this make me wonder if the screener really "forgot" about the firearm or it's actually common practice and the noob manning the scanner hadn't been clued in yet.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 12:50 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by boatseller
All the many incidents like this make me wonder if the screener really "forgot" about the firearm or it's actually common practice and the noob manning the scanner hadn't been clued in yet.
Or the noob didn't get his cut of the money from the criminal to let the gun go.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Roger_SEA
Well, I'm *SURE* that TSA will immediately fire Mr. Valdes, assess a 5-figure fine, and press criminal charges against him for bringing (or trying to bring) a firearm into the "sterile" area and carrying a concealed weapon without a permit.

Right?

<crickets>

Yeah.

Clrankin, Florida does not require registration of civilian-owned firearms, but does require a permit for concealed-carry (it's shall-issue - you pays your money, I believe you have to take a class as well, and the state does a background check and has a set period to issue your permit or tell you why you were denied). Mr. Valdes committed a minimum of one bonafide CRIME, carrying concealed without a permit, and likely carrying into an airport's so-called "sterile" area is another. Will he be protected by TSA, or will they throw him under the bus in order to try to save face? Personally, given what happened (or, more accurately, *DIDN'T* happen) to Mr. Crabtree, I'm inclined to say that TSA will sweep this under the rug.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
I saw the headline and just that Alvin Crabtree was a snowbird.

Mike
Old Oct 12, 2011, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by mikeef
I saw the headline and just that Alvin Crabtree was a snowbird.
Nah, it's Miami. Rolando figured he needs protection. Of course, he only brought a small gun . . . .

There is no "registration" in Florida.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 2:14 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Originally Posted by clrankin
Saying that he was carrying an unregistered gun also doesn't mean much, unless FL requires that all firearms be registered. But I can't believe that he didn't break any laws by carrying a concealed weapon through the checkpoint. Where are the local law enforcement agencies to act fairly and impartially toward this person? I certainly hope he isn't getting any more preferential treatment as a result of his french blue costume.
FL does not require all firearms be registered.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 2:48 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
....According to the police report, Valdes admitted he knew it was illegal to bring a firearm into the airport and that he just "forgot." He also said the gun was not registered and he did not have a concealed weapons permit.....
Just absolute priceless . That's all I have to say
Old Oct 12, 2011, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL, WN, US, Avis, AA
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
Nah, it's Miami. Rolando figured he needs protection. Of course, he only brought a small gun . . . .
"Is that a snub-nosed pistol in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.