Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Politico.com: "TSA, not flying high fiscally, looks for cash"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2011, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR

Surprised not to have seen this here today:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1011/65565.html

The Transportation Security Administration isn’t making many friends.

If long screening lines, privacy invasions and other TSA-inflicted indignities weren’t enough, the agency now faces a funding battle. A decade since the agency was created in response to the Sept. 11 attacks, a debate is raging over the cost of aviation security and who should foot the bill.
Even Rep. John Mica, the Florida Republican who set up the agency, is now pushing to dismantle and privatize what he calls his “little ....... child.”

The TSA is only going to grow. Aviation experts predict increases in domestic air travel as the economy recovers — and that the bigger traffic flow through the nation’s airports will swamp the current “one-size-fits-all” screening unless the TSA receives a bump in its annual budget of about $8 billion.

The White House’s recent proposal to triple the security fee for fliers — part of its deficit reduction plan — has added urgency to the discussion. The airline lobby blanketed Capitol Hill in recent weeks to tell members of Congress and their staffs why the hike would result in thousands of lost jobs, service cuts and higher fares.

“We have soundly beat them back every year and plan to do that again this year,” said Sharon Pinkerton, vice president of government affairs at the Air Transport Association. “Part of our success is people’s frustrations with the growth of the TSA. This agency needs to get its act together.”
(can I get an AMEN...)
Old Oct 11, 2011, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
I thought you were going to say the TSA would be confiscating any cash found during searches that they deem an excessive amount.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 7:12 pm

Programs: *wood Gold
TSA running short on money... perhaps that explains why they hire and continue to employ so many screeners with "sticky fingers"... They're not shoving that iPad down their pants for personal gain, it's for patriotism and in the name of security.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 8:25 pm

They can't afford rubber gloves to prevent the spread of disease and cross contamination. Yet they keep spending millions, hundreds of millions, on unproven technology and over priced id scanners, that, technically, should replace the illiterates at the podium for that price. That is the TSA for you, incompetent, overpriced and tripping all over itself.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:14 am

Programs: Star Alliance - chairman, HH - Diamond, Marriott - Platinum, TSA - Dog Dung.
Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark
Surprised not to have seen this here today:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1011/65565.html

(can I get an AMEN...)
Not surprising for an agency that spends like a drunken sailor on payday.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:52 am

Programs: AC 75K
Eight.Billion.Dollars.

Every year, for this crap.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:20 am

Programs: WN A++, Marriott Plat, Avis 1
Idea: How about they put to work all those TSOs wandering or standing around and actually get them screening people?

That probably wouldn't work tho... Makes too much sense.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:23 am

Programs: *wood Gold
Originally Posted by VegasCableGuy
Idea: How about they put to work all those TSOs wandering or standing around and actually get them screening people?
Since their screening methods are useless and benign at best, and violative of civil rights at worst I'd recommend not putting them to work doing this.

A far, far, far better solution is also the cheapest and simplest - lay them off. Quit wasting taxpayer money on an organization that is unnecessary, ineffective, intrusive, and un-American.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
I'm thinking that they could ask for donations. That way, all the people who say, "anything for security" will have a chance to put up or shut up.

Mike
Old Oct 12, 2011, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef
I'm thinking that they could ask for donations. That way, all the people who say, "anything for security" will have a chance to put up or shut up.
Now THAT is a wonderful idea!

I suppose they could also hold bake sales on the sterile side.. y'know, cupcakes and pies and such...
Old Oct 12, 2011, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by loops
Now THAT is a wonderful idea!

I suppose they could also hold bake sales on the sterile side.. y'know, cupcakes and pies and such...
Or they could charge for the pat-down....
Old Oct 12, 2011, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by IslandBased
Or they could charge for the pat-down....
Perhaps a special deal for the "full monty"... pat-down, luggage search, wallet inspection, extra slow swabbing of every item proferred... to feel uhm... extra special safe.

Old Oct 12, 2011, 5:07 pm

Programs: DL FO MM,
Originally Posted by Thegweni
Not surprising for an agency that spends like a drunken sailor on payday.
That's not really fair to drunken sailors, now is it? After all they (the drunken sailors) earned it, they can spend it as they see fit, no? <attempt at humor>
Old Oct 12, 2011, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Which is probably why the pay to be a trusted traveler program is coming out
Old Oct 12, 2011, 7:22 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - chairman, HH - Diamond, Marriott - Platinum, TSA - Dog Dung.
Originally Posted by guloxi
That's not really fair to drunken sailors, now is it? After all they (the drunken sailors) earned it, they can spend it as they see fit, no? <attempt at humor>
You are right. I formally apologise to all drunken sailors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.