Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

A New X-Ray Procedure at FNT - TSA says it's the same as always

A New X-Ray Procedure at FNT - TSA says it's the same as always

Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I don't have strong feelings about it either way (shoes on belt or shoes on bin).

I do have strong feelings (negative) about being barked at about where they should go.

I also think it is a waste of resources to have a dedicated tub-stacker and a dedicated 'shoe-rearranger' at one station, particularly when it is clear that the xray tech can clear shoes inside carry-on bags with few problems.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 4:02 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by chollie
I don't have strong feelings about it either way (shoes on belt or shoes on bin).

I do have strong feelings (negative) about being barked at about where they should go.

I also think it is a waste of resources to have a dedicated tub-stacker and a dedicated 'shoe-rearranger' at one station, particularly when it is clear that the xray tech can clear shoes inside carry-on bags with few problems.
Considering the cheap, easy-to-build, and super-efficient automatic tub return rails that someone has posted pics of in the past, I find it incomprehensible that TSA still employs people to stack and return the tubs. For the cost of a few normal TSO shifts, each checkpoint could have these lovely devices installed that would guarantee no bin shortages and free up the people who normally cart the bins around to annoy pax in other, more imaginative ways.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 4:26 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by N1120A
Indeed, I think where this is "policy" directly relates to how much of an issue the airport has with bin shortages. At LAX, its always shoes on the belt and they always have an issue with running out of bins (especially at T7).
I never have a problem with in-bin at T4....
Old Sep 28, 2011, 6:41 pm

Programs: Independent Libertarian
Shoe Story.

Back when I was still working my friend and I were connecting in LAX &
had to re-clear security. My friend was told to take his shoes in the outside pocket of his backpack out to go thru the xray. He was slightly miffed by this as there was another better pair in his pack but he did as he was told and then thought he'd have some fun with them. After getting his backpack when it cleared he decided to leave his shoes (hurraches).
One of the agents told him he'd forgotten to take his shoes but he told them "just throw them out"! He could care less about some battered old Mexican shoe tiretread sandals but the look he got from the agent when he said that was one of surprise & astonishment.
I told him, "That was great, I'll buy the beer"! ^
Old Sep 28, 2011, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by bajajoes
Back when I was still working my friend and I were connecting in LAX &
had to re-clear security. My friend was told to take his shoes in the outside pocket of his backpack out to go thru the xray. He was slightly miffed by this as there was another better pair in his pack but he did as he was told and then thought he'd have some fun with them. After getting his backpack when it cleared he decided to leave his shoes (hurraches).
One of the agents told him he'd forgotten to take his shoes but he told them "just throw them out"! He could care less about some battered old Mexican shoe tiretread sandals but the look he got from the agent when he said that was one of surprise & astonishment.
I told him, "That was great, I'll buy the beer"! ^
I'm surprised the TSO didn't dive on the ground and yell "Bravo!"
Old Nov 4, 2011, 8:33 am

Programs: Star Gold
Originally Posted by N1120A
Shoes in or out is not a fight I care about. While the validity of the whole shoe carnival can be debated, this is one of those situations where its not really worth picking a fight. I just put my shoes on the belt, as it helps me remember to get all my stuff (studies have shown that you are least likely to walk away without your bag if your shoes are on last) and it saves bins for other people. Since I always take 2 bins (1 laptop bin and 1 freedom baggie/coat/etc. bin), I don't want to bother with the rest.

Indeed, I think where this is "policy" directly relates to how much of an issue the airport has with bin shortages. At LAX, its always shoes on the belt and they always have an issue with running out of bins (especially at T7).
+1. Other than "pissing contest" nonsense this is totally irrelevant when viewed next to the other atrocities that the TSA commits.

As many others have said, the "not in the bin" may be in areas with a lot of snow or sand so the bins get gross quickly. I don't care either way and haven't had this made a big deal. I'm more worried about avoiding the grope and radiation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.