FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   Immediately after the ID checkpoint, I was stopped and asked to show my ID and bp (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1260542-immediately-after-id-checkpoint-i-stopped-asked-show-my-id-bp.html)

GoingAway Sep 19, 2011 1:50 pm

Immediately after the ID checkpoint, I was stopped and asked to show my ID and bp

At IAD last weekend, literally five steps after going through the ID checkpoint, I get stopped and asked for my bp/ID by one of two TSOs hanging out behind the checkers.

They are really making it clear that they recognize their own level of incompetence, when you have two sets of people doing the exact same stupid thing within such close proximity to each other. At least i got a line without the nude o scope running (i wonder if they were short staffed for the machine, so did the useless double id check to make it look like they were working)

IslandBased Sep 19, 2011 1:54 pm

You need a "Reading is Fundamental" T-Shirt for occasions like this.;)

essxjay Sep 19, 2011 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by GoingAway (Post 17136175)
At IAD last weekend, literally five steps after going through the ID checkpoint, I get stopped and asked for my bp/ID by one of two TSOs hanging out behind the checkers.

Multiple id/bp checks were common early on post-9/11 but less pervasive over time. The practice was almost out of fashion until now. :(

goingbananas Sep 19, 2011 3:57 pm

"State security check....your papers....comrade..." :rolleyes::mad:

It reminds me of the movie Firefox with Clint Eastwood, when they didn't leave the station until they had their papers checked at least 3-4 times....

but what happens if they are not in order....:D

Global_Hi_Flyer Sep 19, 2011 5:16 pm

Dulles has been doing that for a while. It's objectionable, and outright a problem when the lines are long.

As of this.morning, even the useless Airserv folks at the top of the escalators have gotten into the act. One even followed me to the TSA when I didn't play along. The started yelling at me as I walked around a sheeple that they were taking their time with, and even she yelled at me..

Show your BP and ID four time before getting to the xray.

IAD and DCA have lost two of my trips next month. More to come.

FliesWay2Much Sep 19, 2011 5:20 pm

They are really making it clear that they recognize their own level of incompetence, when you have two sets of people doing the exact same stupid thing within such close proximity to each other. At least i got a line without the nude o scope running (i wonder if they were short staffed for the machine, so did the useless double id check to make it look like they were working)

Same thing happened to me and I got in the face of the clerk. I expected some wort of retaliation, but, none was forthcoming. I even did a SDOO...

exerda Sep 19, 2011 7:15 pm

Worst part is that IAD is chronically understaffed in terms of open lanes, yet they have idiots just standing around like this.

On Saturday morning, after a lengthy wait as they stopped everyone at the TDC stand to let the lane lines die down a bit (this is typical and incredibly annoying at IAD), they stopped the first couple of people through--who had been standing there already for 10 minutes with the TDCs. Just asinine.

N1120A Sep 19, 2011 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by essxjay (Post 17136550)
Multiple id/bp checks were common early on post-9/11 but less pervasive over time. The practice was almost out of fashion until now. :(

That was generally because the airlines did their own revenue control, as opposed to having the TSA do it for them.

Chaos.Defined Sep 20, 2011 1:20 am

IDK... My favorite experience was in Canada.... where I had my ID and BP checked by the TDC, Line monitor, and WTMD within 20 feet of each other, when I was one of 3 people going through at that time; I actually watched the next person watching me get checked each time.

InkUnderNails Sep 20, 2011 5:01 am

It is sort of like when a supervisor must be called over to approve a retail transaction such as a refund or a price adjustment. Retail businesses do it because they know that they can not trust the lower level employee unless there are checks on their actions.

It is not that they do not trust us. They likely do not trust each other.

RxFlyer Sep 20, 2011 6:22 am

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails (Post 17139571)
It is not that they do not trust us. They likely do not trust each other.

Correction: They don't trust us OR each other.

N1120A Sep 20, 2011 7:24 am

Originally Posted by Chaos.Defined (Post 17139130)
IDK... My favorite experience was in Canada.... where I had my ID and BP checked by the TDC, Line monitor, and WTMD within 20 feet of each other, when I was one of 3 people going through at that time; I actually watched the next person watching me get checked each time.

There is no TDC in Canada. There is an airport employee who checks that you are going to the right door (transborder, other international, domestic), then the CATSA contractors scan BPs twice, once at the start of the line and once in just before the x-ray. The reason they do that is to test line timings and see how long people are waiting.

Global_Hi_Flyer Sep 20, 2011 7:33 am

Originally Posted by RxFlyer (Post 17139795)
Correction: They don't trust us OR each other.

Correct. And that's the exact reason: because of the Nigerian that embarrassed them, they are double and triple checking, and causing hassles for passengers.

goalie Sep 20, 2011 9:49 am

Looks like they're doing the opposite of this nonsense and my comment straight out to the TSO, and loud enough so other pax could hear, would be "so what did the TDC just 10 feet away from you miss? :rolleyes:

Global_Hi_Flyer Sep 20, 2011 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by goalie (Post 17140845)
Looks like they're doing the opposite of this nonsense and my comment straight out to the TSO, and loud enough so other pax could hear, would be "so what did the TDC just 10 feet away from you miss? :rolleyes:

I tried that one day at IAD after this nonsense started. The none-too-happy screener said "we hate having to do this more than you do".