Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Toronto Sun: Skiving screeners in U.S. target foreign travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Toronto Sun: Skiving screeners in U.S. target foreign travellers

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2011, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Thumbs up Toronto Sun: Skiving screeners in U.S. target foreign travellers

Non-US media is beginning to report on the thieves employed at TSA. Hopefully, this international coverage will put additional pressure on TSA since it could really hurt the economy. (IIRC, the US's biggest export is tourism.)

Here's a link to a Toronto Sun article by Andrew McIntosh and Kinia Adamczyk:
Toronto Sun article: Skiving screeners in U.S. target foreign travellers
(Updated: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 12:03 AM EDT)

The article opens with these two sentences:

Canadians returning from holidays or business trips in the United States should be wary and watchful of airport pre-flight security screeners who work for the U.S. Transport Security Administration.

TSA security agents from New York to Hawaii have been arrested and charged with stealing passenger cash, medications and other valuables, a QMI Agency investigation found.
The article goes on to compare TSA to the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) and claims TSA is doing a better job:
The aggressive, proactive approach that U.S. authorities took investigating a rash of serious theft allegations stands in stark contrast to the response of Canadian authorities.
The "aggressive, proactive approach" appears to refer to actions taken by the prosecutors, not to TSA.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
Non-US media is beginning to report on the thieves employed at TSA. Hopefully, this international coverage will put additional pressure on TSA since it could really hurt the economy. (IIRC, the US's biggest export is tourism.)

Canadians returning from holidays or business trips in the United States should be wary and watchful of airport pre-flight security screeners who work for the U.S. Transport Security Administration.

TSA security agents from New York to Hawaii have been arrested and charged with stealing passenger cash, medications and other valuables, a QMI Agency investigation found.
The article goes on to compare TSA to the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) and claims TSA is doing a better job:
The aggressive, proactive approach that U.S. authorities took investigating a rash of serious theft allegations stands in stark contrast to the response of Canadian authorities.
The "aggressive, proactive approach" appears to refer to actions taken by the prosecutors, not to TSA.
TSA has already hurt the economy. Airline seats are going empty, people are moving travel to trains, buses and private auto.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 7:56 am

Programs: OnePass
If I were a foreinger, I wouldn't come the USA for a vacation ever.

Not until the DHS and CBP are reigned in.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:19 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain

A QMI "investigation"?

How much more did Quebecor Media have to do, beyond surfing FT and Google?

Did they use the words "a station exclusive" or "as only seen on this station"?

Sorry, just a media rant...
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:31 am

A travel advisory warning people traveling to the US about theft by TSA employees. Surprise, surprise, surprise...
Old Sep 19, 2011, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
TSA has already hurt the economy. Airline seats are going empty, people are moving travel to trains, buses and private auto.
I'm sure it comes as a shock to foreigners who come here and don't get the feed from a grapevine what a zoo America is becoming. I'm sure there are hundreds of millions who have obsolete ideas about the USA. They're in for a reality check, and they may get cured once they meet cold reality in person.

The world is full of wonderful places to go where the society isn't hostile to everything outside its borders. I know that Bulgaria is quite friendly. I wish I could have the experience to report firsthand about other places. But I feel confident they exist. Only our government has spent ten years brainwashing us about how DANGEROUS the world is. The better to spend 7 trillion dollars on "safety" that they can never seem to deliver.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 4:14 am

I like this. The US has long published official and highly exaggerated "travel advisories" that for South America read like horror stories and would discourage anyone to leave their home. I always wanted, in jest, to write a stylistically similar version describing US cities, airports, etc. Now it has been done for real.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.