Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Photographing Boarding Gate Pat-downs at TPA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2011, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM

I arrived at the gate to board DL 1558 flight to LAX on Sept 16, and a team of four TSA people were randomly pulling people out of the general boarding line for hand swabs and light pad-downs (abdomen, pant legs, no privates).

I snapped a photo of one of them doing the pat-down on the young adult woman. The group supervisors saw me, walked over, and asked me why I took the photo. He didn't seem to be pleased about it. I told him it was for an internet blog to show TSA re-screening people as the gate. He said they've always been doing that. He also said that I shouldn't be taking photos of people because that woman (the one being frisked) might be famous and not want her picture taken. Yes, he really said that.

By then, the queue had boarded. The TSA guy walked away, and one of his subordinates told me she had to pat me ("Please hold your arms out") I asked if I had to (to board the airplane). She said, "yes". Sigh. She does the light pat down, swabs my hand, and let's me go on to board when the guy reading the machine says OK.

Last edited by Bowgie; Sep 17, 2011 at 12:25 pm Reason: photo taken WITH Iphone
Old Sep 17, 2011, 1:31 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
I remember this one as especially interesting though it doesn't address issues at the gate: Interrogated and Detained at IAH for Photographing

Other discussions the OP might find useful ...

Photography at BWI - some real answers

Article: TSA Considering Banning Photography at Checkpoints

Detained for photography in Baltimore rail station

TSA, DFW Airport and photography inside the terminal

Victory for photography/videography rights in MD

Airport photography ??

The TSA's continuing war on photography
Old Sep 17, 2011, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Bowgie
He also said that I shouldn't be taking photos of people because that woman (the one being frisked) might be famous and not want her picture taken. Yes, he really said that.
Then she shouldn't be flying from a public commercial airport. Not your problem.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by saulblum
Then she shouldn't be flying from a public commercial airport. Not your problem.
Well, of course. I just did not think the TSA guy was really concerned about that woman's privacy.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 6:04 pm

Let's see...we have:

A public servant
In a public space
groping a citizen with so little expectation of privacy that the TSA feels they can see you nude

Nope, I don't see a thing wrong with taking the picture, give the TSA employee the bird and be on your way.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 6:05 pm

Well, of course. I just did not think the TSA guy was really concerned about that woman's privacy.
Of course he wasn't, he just wanted you to bow to his authoritah!
Old Sep 17, 2011, 7:45 pm

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
I arrived at the gate to board DL 1558 flight to LAX on Sept 16, and a team of four TSA people were randomly pulling people out of the general boarding line for hand swabs and light pad-downs (abdomen, pant legs, no privates).

I snapped a photo of one of them doing the pat-down on the young adult woman. The group supervisors saw me, walked over, and asked me why I took the photo. He didn't seem to be pleased about it. I told him it was for an internet blog to show TSA re-screening people as the gate. He said they've always been doing that. He also said that I shouldn't be taking photos of people because that woman (the one being frisked) might be famous and not want her picture taken. Yes, he really said that.
I would have told him you're in a public area where there is no expectation of privacy.

It doesn't matter who the passenger is, as once again, you're in an area with no expectation of privacy.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 9:29 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Some airlines and airports have very specific rules about taking pictures, just something to be aware of. There have been probably dozens of threads debating the issue of the airline and airport rules vs the public / privacy thing. Just wanted to mention before you snap pictures you may want to make sure they won't pull that card on you and call the airport police.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli
Some airlines and airports have very specific rules about taking pictures, just something to be aware of. There have been probably dozens of threads debating the issue of the airline and airport rules vs the public / privacy thing. Just wanted to mention before you snap pictures you may want to make sure they won't pull that card on you and call the airport police.
Just curious, can you name some specific airports which do not permit personal (non-commercial) photography?

And if it's the airline banning photography onboard its planes, would that not apply here, as it was in the gate area?
Old Sep 17, 2011, 10:11 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
And if it's the airline banning photography onboard its planes, would that not apply here, as it was in the gate area?
Airlines don't own the gates, they lease them.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 10:22 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Just curious, can you name some specific airports which do not permit personal (non-commercial) photography?

Any of the New York airports (and anything else the port authority controls) prohibit photography in all areas and enforce it.

United does not allow any photography at the counters, gates, waiting areas, etc.

I am not saying if that is right or wrong, just what they do.

See these threads:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...desks-jfk.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...-fly-list.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...ed-delete.html

and countless others
Old Sep 18, 2011, 10:02 am

Programs: Delta, United
Regarding PANYNJ:

http://www.panynj.gov/press-room/media-access.html

The Port Authority reserves the right to restrict videotaping and photography at its airports. Videotaping in runway and taxiway areas at all airports is prohibited at all times. Videotaping and photographing at security checkpoint areas operated by the U.S. Transportation Security Administration is prohibited without the consent of the TSA.

Reserves the right, does not mean prohibit. Of course the above is for the media ...
Old Sep 18, 2011, 11:15 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by cordelli
Fortunately rules are not laws.

With respect to the PANYNJ, I have spoken to them and the individual I spoke with admitted they cannot (legally) stop photography, but their policy, from what I've been told is to stop and confront in specific areas of their facilities as they want to know who is taking photos.

When I use a PANYNJ facility next, I plan on taking photos as I normally do. The only area I've been stopped at involved the AirTrain, but upon speaking to the PA, they were comfortable with who I was and allowed me to photograph.

SDF
Old Sep 18, 2011, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Regarding PANYNJ:

Videotaping and photographing at security checkpoint areas operated by the U.S. Transportation Security Administration is prohibited without the consent of the TSA.
And that is entirely incorrect regarding the checkpoints. At least for personal photography, no permission is needed from the TSA. You may have to deal with a large butt in your viewfinder, but that's another matter.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 3:33 pm

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
Nope.

It is cover to bolster his argument, similar to when they tell everyone that the website it out of date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.