Shoe removal to end?

Old Sep 7, 2011, 7:52 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by t325
I'll believe it when I see it.....
As will I along when I see this....

Old Sep 7, 2011, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by goalie
As will I along when I see this....

No wonder Nappy didn't want to go through the scanner...
Old Sep 7, 2011, 12:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
This is just another illustration of how out of touch this idiot is.

The flying public isn't entirely happy about grandmothers and children getting groped.

So what does Nappy take away from all this?

The flying public won't mind being groped if we just let them keep their shoes on.

Which leads me to another thought: Pissy is being very cagy about the 'trusted traveller'. The only specifics seem to be that it will cost and that it may lead to TT's being allowed to keep shoes on and laptops in their bags, at least some of the time.

So Pissy is hinting at a shoe 'benefit' for those who pony up for the TT, knowing that the 'benefit' is likely to be extended to everyone gratis in the near future.

Right.

The scanners are Kippie's going-away present from TSA (well, the taxpayers, really). Nappy is reserving the 'liquid scanner' for her bye-bye present.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
This is just another illustration of how out of touch this idiot is.

The flying public isn't entirely happy about grandmothers and children getting groped.

So what does Nappy take away from all this?

The flying public won't mind being groped if we just let them keep their shoes on.
I'm sorry to say that my anecdotal evidence may point to there being some validity to this approach. I've heard the opinion expressed by some people that they have more objection to the inconvenience of having to remove shoes than to any of the other indignities.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 6:44 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by Bungnoid
I'm sorry to say that my anecdotal evidence may point to there being some validity to this approach. I've heard the opinion expressed by some people that they have more objection to the inconvenience of having to remove shoes than to any of the other indignities.
Inasmuch as everyone* has been removing shoes since 2006 (and some people with metal in their shoes much longer than that) and only some (but far too many) passengers are getting groped or NoS-ed, it is to be expected that there would be more complaints about shoes than about scope 'n' grope. I would expect, though, that there would be louder complaints over groping children and strip-searching elderly terminal cancer patients than over shoes.

In other words, one is a quiet background grumble, while the other is occasional loud outrage.

*Except goalie and a few others who know they don't have to.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 7:03 pm

I have yet to see a Youtube clip of a shoe removal...
Old Sep 8, 2011, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
If it does stop I am going to take mine off just to prove a point. I don't know what that point is but I will give it some thought if ever I shrug this hangover off.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 12:24 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Inasmuch as everyone* has been removing shoes since 2006 (and some people with metal in their shoes much longer than that) and only some (but far too many) passengers are getting groped or NoS-ed, it is to be expected that there would be more complaints about shoes than about scope 'n' grope. I would expect, though, that there would be louder complaints over groping children and strip-searching elderly terminal cancer patients than over shoes.

In other words, one is a quiet background grumble, while the other is occasional loud outrage.

*Except goalie and a few others who know they don't have to.
Aw, shucks, ma'am <blushing>
Old Sep 8, 2011, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
If it does stop I am going to take mine off just to prove a point. I don't know what that point is but I will give it some thought if ever I shrug this hangover off.
That you're more 'patriotic' than everyone else?

Out of an abundance of caution?

(Note: even if the shoe carnival does 'go away', I suspect it will be months or even years before you stop seeing some pax take off their shoes. It will be the same super-patriotic, super-safe folks that insist on taking their shoes (and slowing things down) at non-US airports that do not require shoe removal).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.