Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Police can detain photographers if their photo has no apparent esthetic value!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2011, 10:54 am

Programs: Independent Libertarian
My Hope Is That.....

I hope that is a similar situation I will say: "I have done nothing wrong and I will not talk to you"! Then let them arrest me for nothing and try to justify the arrest. Once the case is dismissed or found not guilty I would want to go back to the same location and do it all over again to see if they do it again. Eventually you would have a "Police Harrasment" case.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 11:04 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by bajajoes
I hope that is a similar situation I will say: "I have done nothing wrong and I will not talk to you"! Then let them arrest me for nothing and try to justify the arrest.
I'm sure they would be quite happy to oblige.

Anyone living in the US during the past 10 years should know by now that police can detain you for anything they please. Yes, you can fight it in court assuming the 'charges' are not dropped long before you get there, but they count on very few people pursuing the matter. They'll ruin your day then send you on your way having asserted their (view of their) authority.

Sadly, just another sign of "the times".
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:22 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
I'm sure they would be quite happy to oblige.

Anyone living in the US during the past 10 years should know by now that police can detain you for anything they please. Yes, you can fight it in court assuming the 'charges' are not dropped long before you get there, but they count on very few people pursuing the matter. They'll ruin your day then send you on your way having asserted their (view of their) authority.

Sadly, just another sign of "the times".
The saying that some cops use is that you might beat the rap, but you won't beat the ride. And, remember they have qualified immunity.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:44 pm

Programs: Independent Libertarian
How Many Times?

I'm retired and have the time to deal with this pettiness but how many times of doing the exact same thing and getting it dismissed or found not guilty for photography before someone builds a justifiable case of
"Police Harassment"? Especially if you have the same judge!
I think he is going to have some strong words for the police and tell them to quit wasting his time.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:51 pm

I live in Long Beach, I just may have to go take some non esthetic photos today.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by bajajoes
I'm retired and have the time to deal with this pettiness but how many times of doing the exact same thing and getting it dismissed or found not guilty for photography before someone builds a justifiable case of
"Police Harassment"? Especially if you have the same judge!
I think he is going to have some strong words for the police and tell them to quit wasting his time.
Actually, this does happen, unfortunately it is a rarity. There was a state trooper in Florida who faced contempt charges for continuing to pull people over and search their vehicles without cause. He had charges dismissed several times in front of the same judge, the judge warned him one more time and he was going in the can. Don't know what ever happened to him. I guess it takes a judge with some b***s to stand up to the police in this case.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by VH-RMD
are you people in the USA still sure you live in the land of the free?
No, but I know we still live in the home of the brave because it takes some real chutzpah to harass a photographer like that.

Mike
Old Aug 26, 2011, 2:38 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
What's that old saying.....Oh yeah, I remember.....Everybody's a critic (and in this case, an art critic) +
Old Aug 26, 2011, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by VH-RMD
are you people in the USA still sure you live in the land of the free?
I can only speak for myself when I say, "No!"
Old Aug 26, 2011, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
I wonder what their policy is on taking photos of police officers? If they hassle you, it must mean that photos of Long Beach cops have no esthetic value!
Old Sep 3, 2011, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by golfguy714
Someone needs to plan a no esthetic value flash mob and see what they do. The person that was illegally detained needs to file suit, that is the only way that b.s. like this will ever stop!
Bolding mine...

I like the idea, but it would be better in the day time.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 10:19 am

Programs: Star Alliance - chairman, HH - Diamond, Marriott - Platinum, TSA - Dog Dung.
Smile

The TSA always ask me about sensitive areas (and ignore them) so they must be doctors.

They observe my behavior and decide if I am a threat so they must be psychiatrists.

They determine which liquids are potentially explosive so they must be chemists.

They tell me the nudoscopes are safe so they must be radiologists.

Now they are art critics too!

Not bad for a bunch of people hired from advertisements on pizza boxes!
Old Sep 4, 2011, 11:56 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Thegweni
The TSA ...

Now they are art critics too!
This isn't about the TSA.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
What's that old saying.....Oh yeah, I remember.....Everybody's a critic (and in this case, an art critic) +
Sounds like a matter for Internal Affairs:

"One more screw-up, and you will be walking a beat, as a Parking and Photography Critic..."
Old Sep 25, 2011, 5:22 pm

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
Originally Posted by Xyzzy:16996674
Ww -- As if that's not suspicious enough behaviour, in Long Beach one can also be detained for asking for an establishment's hours of operation.
From what I read one can be detained for TAKING NOTES! I need to run out to the colleges in and around Long Beach and report all of the suspicious note taking I am sure is going on there. See something, Say something!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.