Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Updated thoughts on the "Trusted" traveler program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Updated thoughts on the "Trusted" traveler program

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by photodave
I'm not a US citizen. I've lived, worked and paid taxes in the USA since 1996, but have never had the desire or inclination to naturalise. Therefore, the Trusted Traveller programme is not open to me.
And some of us who are in a similar situation to you have had far more intensive screening that many of the people who will in fact qualify for 'trusted traveller' status.

The only benefit I can see is not removing my shoes, which I can do on almost all of my flights around the world anyways.

My biggest frustrations are the lack of training (witness Nexus cards as an example) and the waste of resources (witness the scanners). But as already noted, most people don't understand or don't want to understand these concerns and will sign up. I do hope that they find out very quickly that they won't see much benefit.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by exbayern
...I do hope that they find out very quickly that they won't see much benefit.
Much like the people now experiencing ATR who get post-scan "pat downs" to resolve such anomalies as bra straps, pleats, sweat, and glasses, as I know you are already well aware.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:27 am

You forgot 'poor posture'!
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by exbayern
You forgot 'poor posture'!
I'm not too worried about that. I'm thanking my dear departed grandmother profusely for nagging me incessantly to stand/sit-up straight! Bless her heart...
Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by doober
I would imagine that the majority of those who sign up don't care about being zapped with radiation or being seen naked. They just want to get on their flight and get to where they are going without the hassle of other passengers who are concerned about their rights under the Constitution.
Just like the pre WWII Germans who just wanted to live their life and didn't want to get intimidated or beaten by the SS or SA Brown Shirts or shipped off to a re-education camp .
When they Saw Something they Said Something.

Old Sep 5, 2011, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Thanks everyone for your input.

Unless something MAJOR changes in the next 3 weeks, I will decline to participate.

We can and NEED to do much better than this.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
I would imagine that the majority of those who sign up don't care about being zapped with radiation or being seen naked. They just want to get on their flight and get to where they are going without the hassle of other passengers who are concerned about their rights under the Constitution.
I have my $15 GE card,
and that is a good description of what I expect from it....
Old Sep 5, 2011, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
If I'm assured of 9/10 security at every domestic airport I travel to - shoes stay on, laptop stays in the bag, I can bring whatever liquids I want, no NoS, no groping, no half-hour waits in lines - then I would most likely sign up for that program. Anything short of that is not worth it.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 7:59 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis First
I fully support everyone's right to peacefully protest and their right to petition the government for change. But for me personally, if I can spend 30 seconds filling out a form that saves me 2 minutes every time I fly, I'll go for it. The government already has all my information, so I don't feel any less private now that I've consented for them to replicate that data from for one government-run DB to another.

I look forward to having TSA roll this program out to more airports (especially the ones that I frequent). And I really hope this will result in meaningful reduction in procedure (unlike Clear and self-select, which all that let one do was cut ahead in line).
Old Sep 8, 2011, 1:33 am

This is a reminder not to use insulting names in posts, which violates moderator scoow's directive:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...formation.html

"While we don't wish to turn away reflective criticism we do ask that participants refrain from posting behaviors that only serve to inflame or disrupt the forum. Derisive terms used to grossly generalize others such as A. S. S., smurf, goon, thug, Gestapo, Nazi, perv, perp, kettles, mouth-breathers and the like add no value to the forum and are not permitted. "
Old Sep 9, 2011, 11:37 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
While I fully respect others opinions, I for one am very much looking forward to the trusted traveler program. I've already a member of Global Entry so I will be among the first to be eligible. Not removing shoes or laptops will be a pleasure! They are so far mum about liquids... I would obviously prefer to be able to bring liquids aboard again but I'll be quite happy with the shoes & laptop changes.

I also hate the "nude-o-scopes", but not because I'm concerned about my privacy...the thing I hate is that I have to remove EVERYTHING.. if I go through a normal metal detector I never remove my wallet, belt, or coins from my pockets. I never set off the alarm. So the backscatter machines just add extra annoyance and inconvenience. So hopefully the trusted traveler program will allow us to just use metal detectors.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mileena
This is a reminder not to use insulting names in posts, which violates moderator scoow's directive:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...formation.html

"While we don't wish to turn away reflective criticism we do ask that participants refrain from posting behaviors that only serve to inflame or disrupt the forum. Derisive terms used to grossly generalize others such as A. S. S., smurf, goon, thug, Gestapo, Nazi, perv, perp, kettles, mouth-breathers and the like add no value to the forum and are not permitted. "
Even beter, use the RBP button.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 4:25 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

If you think about it, why is taking off your shoes even necessary anymore? If the NoS can see under your clothes, it can easily see under your shoes (and under your coat, belt and laptop bag).

But rather than eliminating the rule for everyone, they want to use it as an excuse to get more details about you. The more rules they have, the more carrots they can dangle.

But on the other hand, I am glad they still require you to take off your shoes/coat, because if they didn't, the number of opt-outs would go way down. People might even start choosing the NoS rather than WTMD in order to avoid taking their shoes off.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
So hopefully the trusted traveler program will allow us to just use metal detectors.
If wishes and hopes were candy and nuts, it would be xmas all year long.

The TSA has been clear that the Trusted Traveler program is no guarantee of not receiving a 'Scope 'N Grope.

No animals should be more equal than other animals. Everyone, including TSA and airline employees, should receive the same screening for weapons, explosives and incendiaries. X-ray of personal belongings, walk through / hand held metal detector, and Explosive Trace Portal / Explosive Trace Detection. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 9:33 pm

Vote Obama out in 2012

If Obama is voted out of office, Nappy and Pissy will be gone as well, only to be replaced by who knows what.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.