Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Don't read books about airplanes while on an airplane.

Don't read books about airplanes while on an airplane.

Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FXWizard
I will use some discretion when loading movies on my iPad for travel viewing (for example, while I love horror movies I wouldn't dream of watching one with excessive gore when people are sitting close enough to see it), but I'll be damned if I restrict my reading material in order to avoid someone making a stupid assumption about my potential risk.
I'll watch whatever I want on my laptop. If the person sitting next to me doesn't like it, they shouldn't be looking at my laptop, anyway.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 5:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by clrankin
This whole article has prompted me to think about having some fun today. Perhaps tonight I'll drive down to IAD, park, go in, and start taking pictures of the UA ticketing area just to see their reactions (and as a form of protest).

It should be fun.
I'm flying tomorrow. Maybe I should purchase an English-Arabic dictionary, and make sure that TSA and the United FA's see it.

As someone else has already noted, the terrorists have won.

Originally Posted by PTravel
I'll watch whatever I want on my laptop. If the person sitting next to me doesn't like it, they shouldn't be looking at my laptop, anyway.
Good point. I'm going to look for an offensive movie to load on my Ipad tonight. Anybody have any recommendations?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 5:14 pm

I don't have the words to express how much this story infuriated and saddened me.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
Good point. I'm going to look for an offensive movie to load on my Ipad tonight. Anybody have any recommendations?
Offensive is subjective. I had a couple complain about the sex scenes in the Thomas Crown Affair. I was on a train, sitting across the aisle from them, and had listened to them use rather pithy language for the past hour. Yet they chose to be offended by the film I was watching across the aisle and moan about me. (They knew that I spoke English as I had helped them with their wifi earlier)

I suggest the recent BBC film United. It has a very horrific scene about the crash at Mnchen-Riem. If you time it right, you may be able to watch the repeated aborted takeoff attempts during takeoff. (Or not, because electronics will be off)
Old Aug 24, 2011, 5:32 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by Allan38103
The crew asked the guy about what he was reading.
The guy answered.
The plane took off.

The end.
I'm going to give you a break and assume you were reading FT at work, got up to do something, and an idiot associate of yours with no common sense and less brains decided to sit down at your keyboard and compose this as a prank to get you into trouble.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 5:56 pm

Programs: *wood Gold
I'm flying tomorrow. Maybe I should purchase an English-Arabic dictionary, and make sure that TSA and the United FA's see it.
I'd take an English-Arabic dictionary on, along with a book with a picture of an airplane on the front.

While in flight, you might also feel like turning on your iPad or booting up your laptop - to do nothing other than play around with a flight simulator, no less.

XPlane is out and really good if you've got a Mac. There's an iPad version too. If I fly UA again I may buy the app just to play with it on the flight. Think of all the shock and awe one could cause by flying the plane into the ground and remarking "Darn, never could get that right!"
Old Aug 24, 2011, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd take an English-Arabic dictionary on, along with a book with a picture of an airplane on the front.

While in flight, you might also feel like turning on your iPad or booting up your laptop - to do nothing other than play around with a flight simulator, no less.

XPlane is out and really good if you've got a Mac. There's an iPad version too. If I fly UA again I may buy the app just to play with it on the flight. Think of all the shock and awe one could cause by flying the plane into the ground and remarking "Darn, never could get that right!"
Or else, dress like an orthodox Jew and pray. Or simply look like you might be Muslim.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by bocastephen
UA has a known reputation for this nonsense - in this very forum one of our members posted an incident where a UA FA ordered them to shut down their laptop because of the wallpaper - a photo of a CO 757 taking off.
I guess all the safety / promotional videos and IFE that have images of aircraft and been super secretly scrubbed of anything that could be of use to a tewwowist.

Originally Posted by PTravel
Well okay, but you don't strike me as the kind of guy that's going to kick back in F watching Girls Of Cellblock F on your laptop.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 6:03 pm

Programs: *wood Gold
Originally Posted by N965VJ
Well okay, but you don't strike me as the kind of guy that's going to kick back in F watching Girls Of Cellblock F on your laptop.
How about "Airline Stewardesses Gone Wild", starring the "Don't look at me! Girl", the "Don't read that! Girl", and the "Not on, not on standby, not on vibrate, but OFF! Maven"?

For glorified soda machines, these folks sure think they have a lot of authority.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 6:06 pm

Programs: United 1P, Hertz Gold #1 5*, Avis First, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
How about Delta Force?
Or wait... is Chuck Norris too dangerous to fly on UA
Old Aug 24, 2011, 6:06 pm

Programs: OnePass
This whole article has prompted me to think about having some fun today. Perhaps tonight I'll drive down to IAD, park, go in, and start taking pictures of the UA ticketing area just to see their reactions (and as a form of protest).

It should be fun.
It would be more effective at JFK, but please, by all means, go to IAD and do this.

Shame that CO merged with UA. As much as CO pisses me off, UA is worse.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 6:13 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by patom
Once again; the terrorists have won.
Indeed, the terrorists can sit back in their chairs and watch us self-destruct. Terrorists don't need to lift a finger to destroy our way of life; we're in the process of doing it to ourselves.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jupiter's Ally
Or wait... is Chuck Norris too dangerous to fly on UA
Chuck Norris doesn't need to fly on UA. He can fly without using an airplane at all.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N965VJ
Well, I suppose that's true, but plenty of watch I watch is "R" rated and, of course, my wife an I enjoy foreign films and have seen many an excellent movie about life in Middle Eastern countries. I feel that what I watch on my personal screen (with headphones, of course) is absolutely no one else's business, nor is what I read.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 6:50 pm

I've had a few strange looks reading this on a flight.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Box-Why-.../dp/0760304009

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.