FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   Hate Crime -ex TSA worker (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1246653-hate-crime-ex-tsa-worker.html)

mules Aug 10, 2011 7:56 pm

Hate Crime -ex TSA worker

In all the articles, it is mentioned that he was a former TSA worker. I don't understand if this means he did this while employed and has since left the TSA?

Typical phrasing,
"MINNEAPOLIS, Aug. 10 (UPI) -- A former Transportation Security Administration employee in Minneapolis pleaded guilty to a hate crime Wednesday in assaulting an elderly Somali man.

TSA employees provide security at the nation's airports.

The former TSA employee, George Thompson, 64, pleaded guilty in federal court to violating the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act.
Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2011/...#ixzz1UgIec1B9

"...Court papers said that Thompson, a former employee of the Transportation Security Administration, attacked his victim on May 4, 2010, because of the man's "actual and perceived religion and national origin."
http://www.startribune.com/local/127474763.html

"...Court papers say the 64-year-old former employee of the Transportation Security Administration told the older man he was going to kill him and chased him into a Minneapolis street on May 4, 2010.

Read more: Ex-TSA Agent Pleads Guilty in Assault on Elderly Somali Man http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/n...#ixzz1UgICbDaS

tmspa Aug 11, 2011 12:10 am

Former Baggage TSO

He was a Checked Baggage TSO that was forced into retirement after being accused of these crimes.

GUWonder Aug 11, 2011 2:23 am

Does anyone really think DHS is free of racists and other bigots acting on their prejudices at airports across the country when those DHS employees are encountering passengers whom they believe to be from the demographic group(s) which they hate/fear?

The airport voodoo "security" of "behavior detection" and "risk based screening" with its passenger questions is just cover for such people.

This former TSA worker looks like a TSA employee I used to see at MSP the -- probably the same person, with a little cut to the hair on the back of the head.

Who knows how many people he targeted at MSP on account of his prejudices. And there are many ethnic Somalis working at the airport or who are passengers at MSP.

mahohmei Aug 11, 2011 8:18 am

I must take issue with the line "TSA employees provide security at the nation's airports."

When will the media stop brown-nosing the TSA and instead speak the truth?

FliesWay2Much Aug 11, 2011 8:22 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 16900986)
Does anyone really think DHS is free of racists and other bigots acting on their prejudices at airports across the country when those DHS employees are encountering passengers whom they believe to be from the demographic group(s) which they hate/fear?

This guy is only the first one who has been arrested. Gee, I'm sure glad to find out he was allowed to retire. There are provisions in federal law to terminate the pension of a retired civil servant if convicted of a federal crime. I wonder if the TSA will bother to take action?

jkhuggins Aug 11, 2011 9:13 am

Originally Posted by mahohmei (Post 16902056)
I must take issue with the line "TSA employees provide security at the nation's airports."

When will the media stop brown-nosing the TSA and instead speak the truth?

Security is not a "yes-no" property. There's nothing wrong with the statement.

Yes, TSA provides security services. Whether they are doing the job right, or the right job, is an independent question. Whether others could do the job better is another independent question. But they are providing security services.

Boggie Dog Aug 11, 2011 9:18 am

Originally Posted by tmspa (Post 16900726)
He was a Checked Baggage TSO that was forced into retirement after being accused of these crimes.

I surely hope TSA did not let this person retire or the will be drawing a federal pension for life.

cordelli Nov 30, 2011 9:54 pm

A Minneapolis man who lost his job with the Transportation Security Administration for an off-duty assault of an elderly Somali man has been sentenced to six months in prison for the hate crime.

George Thompson, 64, who pleaded guilty, was sentenced Tuesday in federal court in Minneapolis under the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act. Thompson's case was the first prosecuted under the act, which was signed into law in October 2009 and named after Matthew Shepard, a gay Wyoming teen who died after being kidnapped and beaten in 1998, and James Byrd Jr., a black man who was dragged to death in Texas that same year.

http://www.startribune.com/local/south/134746748.html

N965VJ Nov 30, 2011 11:51 pm

This former TSA worker looks like a TSA employee I used to see at MSP the -- probably the same person, with a little cut to the hair on the back of the head.

I'm almost positive this guy was the one that gave me some :rolleyes: for not taking the Kippie Bag out of my rollaboard one time. Seemed like a miserable person.

VelvetJones Dec 1, 2011 8:43 am

The airport voodoo "security" of "behavior detection" and "risk based screening" with its passenger questions is just cover for such people.

Who knows how many people he targeted at MSP on account of his prejudices. And there are many ethnic Somalis working at the airport or who are passengers at MSP.

Yes, but how is hate crime legislation any different? It basically allows Federal prosecutors to "read the mind" of the accused and make whatever accusation they want, usually based on political motives. Why is beating someone up to steal their wallet less of a crime than beating them up because you don't like them? Both are crimes, likely felonies. So charge him with aggravated assault and leave it at that. In either case he should have been fired.

clrankin Dec 1, 2011 9:15 am

Just another day at the good 'ol TSA checkpoint... Why is it news when a TS"O" commits a crime or is prejudiced these days? It seems that they're all pretty much that way - either convicted criminals, criminals who haven't yet been caught, or prejudiced grumps waiting to power trip on the next passenger whose skin tone or political preferences they disagree with.