Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA Area Director Concedes Scanner Images Extremely Graphic

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Area Director Concedes Scanner Images Extremely Graphic

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:29 am

TSA lies.

It is that simple.

They will say what they think the public wants to hear, to try and get cooperation/compliance.

When the scanners first came out

"Don't worry these images aren't graphic at all they are safe for readers digest and children."

Public didn't buy it.

Next it was

"Images can't be saved and your images are viewed in private with your face blurred to protect your privacy and no phones or recording devices are allowed in the viewing booth."

Some public bought it.

Now it is

"This new software is great! It will improve security and privacy. Now we can safely show you ambiguous figures instead of those nude pictures we had to use earlier. This is what we wanted to do all along but those mean ol terrorists made us put these machines out before the software was ready."

We will see if the public buys it. I imagine they will.

I have discovered two simple truths.

The majority of the flying public wants to get through security

1)As quickly as possible
2)Without a patdown

Most people accept the scanners because of these 2 reasons. True some don't care, and some think that you can't opt out or that you won't be patted down if you go through the scanner.

I think this is the reason why you see alot of SDOO but not many opt outs.

I wish people cared more about what our country has become but since people don't we deserve what we got.

Last edited by billycorgan; Aug 13, 2011 at 12:37 am
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:35 am

A quick question about this propaganda statement

"The new system will help passengers avoid a full-body patdown because a screener will know exactly where to look to find the source of the alert, Ahlstrom said."

First, I thought it was SOP to give a full body pat down to anyone who alarmed the WBI/WTMD machines.

Secondly, how is this any different that the TSO in the viewing booth? Why doesn't the TSO in the booth just relay the part of the body that shows an anomaly to the TSO by the WBI. I just don't get how a machine saying there is an anomaly on the left shoulder and a TSO in a viewing booth saying there is an anomaly on the left shoulder is any different.

Which leads me to believe that this statement is utter bears ....

What do you guys think? Or maybe one of our resident, helpful friendly TSOs will comment.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by billycorgan
A quick question about this propaganda statement

"The new system will help passengers avoid a full-body patdown because a screener will know exactly where to look to find the source of the alert, Ahlstrom said."

First, I thought it was SOP to give a full body pat down to anyone who alarmed the WBI/WTMD machines.

Secondly, how is this any different that the TSO in the viewing booth? Why doesn't the TSO in the booth just relay the part of the body that shows an anomaly to the TSO by the WBI. I just don't get how a machine saying there is an anomaly on the left shoulder and a TSO in a viewing booth saying there is an anomaly on the left shoulder is any different.

Which leads me to believe that this statement is utter bears ....

What do you guys think? Or maybe one of our resident, helpful friendly TSOs will comment.
I've never understood why it required a full body patdown after the WBI. I thought it would pinpoint the area that needed to be examined. If there is an anomaly on my shoulder, why does my crotch need to be checked? After reading the articles on the German testing of these devices, maybe there are always multiple false alarms that need the full patdown. If anybody has time to kill at the airport, they should keep an informal count on the number of people get patted down after the scanner versus the number who don't.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by spd476
I've never understood why it required a full body patdown after the WBI. I thought it would pinpoint the area that needed to be examined. If there is an anomaly on my shoulder, why does my crotch need to be checked? After reading the articles on the German testing of these devices, maybe there are always multiple false alarms that need the full patdown. If anybody has time to kill at the airport, they should keep an informal count on the number of people get patted down after the scanner versus the number who don't.
I suspect some of the gropes are called because the peeper in the back room wasn't paying attention to the scan.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:21 pm

Some reports have stated that movement by the person being scanned causes problems... perhaps the entire image becomes fuzzy?? I suspect that this, in combination with the policy of not allowing a re-scan even if requested, is what has led to many children being groped. So if the smallest movement causes the entire image to go wonky, perhaps this is why a full rather than partial hand search is required in so many incidences after an alert is triggered??
Old Apr 9, 2015, 7:37 pm

I will be flying for the first time in about a week and I am a little about the whole process while going through the metal detectors with the TSA. I am wondering what you do with your cash that you bring with you and I'm mostly curious as to if the TSA goes through your purse when it goes throug...
Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:37 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by amandamcadams
I will be flying for the first time in about a week and I am a little about the whole process while going through the metal detectors with the TSA. I am wondering what you do with your cash that you bring with you and I'm mostly curious as to if the TSA goes through your purse when it goes throug...
No one has any issue about metal detectors. It is body scanners that people have issues with.

You have more to worry about from departure security at SYD T1 then you do at most TSA checkpoints. The TSA allows people to opt out of the body scanners (the problem is normally how each TSO reacts).

Australia does not allow any option of opting out of the body scanners, a position that was never stated as a possibility during the operational tests here and was added with no warning when the bill was tabled in parliament. The bill was sent to committees in both the house and the senate. Every single public submission about the bill said the opt out was required. Both committee reports said to add it back in. The desires of the public were ignored.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 11:27 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
I will be flying for the first time in about a week...
I'm confused; your other posts, in the last 2 days, included:
I saw the northern lights once on a flight from Seattle to Alaska.
...I had to coordinate business trips and layovers to finally end up in DFW at the same time as an interview opening.
... Invariably, flight or cruise, I am pulled out of line while they look into this. Almost missed our flight to Disneyland when we took our granddaughter...
So it certainly seems like you've flown in or to the USA (at least) before.
... and I am a little about the whole process while going through the metal detectors with the TSA. I am wondering what you do with your cash that you bring with you and I'm mostly curious as to if the TSA goes through your purse when it goes throug...
In any case, the metal detector is for passengers, not carry-on bags like your purse. Carry-on bags go through an x-ray machine. The best thing to do is lock your carry-on bag so if they want to look in it, you have to be there.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 1:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
I went through the body scanner at Schiphol this morning. For some reason it decided my shoulders were suspicious

The screen showed a white rectangle floating over the suspect areas. The (as usual, nice) Dutch agent gave my arms a quick stroke and I was on my way.

In contrast to the TSA...hole at IAD who took out my (100ml) tube of toothpaste and said "You're pushing your luck with this..." ????????
Old Aug 17, 2015, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by njf63
I went through the body scanner at Schiphol this morning. For some reason it decided my shoulders were suspicious

The screen showed a white rectangle floating over the suspect areas. The (as usual, nice) Dutch agent gave my arms a quick stroke and I was on my way.

In contrast to the TSA...hole at IAD who took out my (100ml) tube of toothpaste and said "You're pushing your luck with this..." ????????
Don't feel too bad, the TSA MMW scanners alert on my bare neck for some reason. No metal, surgery, or any other reason for it.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Don't feel too bad, the TSA MMW scanners alert on my bare neck for some reason. No metal, surgery, or any other reason for it.
might you be a "leatherneck" or a "redneck" perhaps?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 3:16 pm

The scanner alarmed on my wife's bare wrist once. The TSA screener patted down her bare wrist.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Section 107
might you be a "leatherneck" or a "redneck" perhaps?
Is there a need to use a derogatory name?

And no, not a leatherneck but a salute to those who are.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by spd476
The scanner alarmed on my wife's bare wrist once. The TSA screener patted down her bare wrist.
The scanner once alarmed on my left wrist and left ankle. I was in a position to see the screen while waiting for the results and saw the boxes indicating anomalies. And I mentally cursed myself when I looked down and realized I was still wearing my wristwatch.

The screener saw the boxes, told me he was going to pat those down and then proceeded to pat down my right wrist and ankle.

Pizza box job ads, folks.

Edit: I actually went from mentally cursing myself to using extreme willpower to stifle what would have been a very loud guffaw.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Is there a need to use a derogatory name?

And no, not a leatherneck but a salute to those who are.
In Florida redneck was, and still is, a term of endearment and often proclaimed proudly by individuals who enjoy certain outdoor activities.

There's even a Redneck Yacht Club. I can assure you, no one attending finds any offense to being called a redneck there. http://www.redneckyachtclubmudpark.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.